Dream theater

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Zeds.Ded

so i like petrucci, but ive never really listened to him other than in G3 tokyo, so can anyone recomend some good dream theater albums? im looking to get suspended animation at the moment but am finding it hard to find from shops.

thanks guys!
Real_Confusions

Their best album IMO is METROPOLIS, PT. 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY because it is so well written.

If you want to just get an idea of their early style and songwriting, then I'd recommend IMAGES AND WORDS. Or, if you want to here their modern songwriting style, pick up TRAIN OF THOUGHT.

Or, if you really dig the SCENES concept album, check out their newest one: OCTAVARIUM.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any Dream Theater.
ricardo_impellitteri

Real_Confusions wrote:Their best album IMO is METROPOLIS, PT. 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY because it is so well written.

If you want to just get an idea of their early style and songwriting, then I'd recommend IMAGES AND WORDS. Or, if you want to here their modern songwriting style, pick up TRAIN OF THOUGHT.

Or, if you really dig the SCENES concept album, check out their newest one: OCTAVARIUM.

AMEN
Azyiu

Real_Confusions wrote:Their best album IMO is METROPOLIS, PT. 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY because it is so well written.

Well said, bro, my thought exactly! Go UCA Bears! :peace
Shredded Heat

They're ALL gold, but if I had to rank them (not including live albums).......
1. Metropolis Pt II
2. Images & Words
3. 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Awake
5. Train of Thought
6. Octavarium
7. When Dream & Day Unite
8. Falling into Infinity

Also, if you're a Petrucci fan, check out some Liquid Tension Experiment
GuitarStrings

Shredded Heat wrote: Also, if you're a Petrucci fan, check out some Liquid Tension Experiment
Jordan Rudess, Mike Portnoy are all with Petrucci in LTE. 8)
The bassist in LTE is TONY LEVIN. :twisted:
Real_Confusions

Azyiu wrote:Go UCA Bears! :peace
:lol:

Thanks a lot!
Zeds.Ded

well, i much prefer live albums to studio, any recomendations on live?
beyondthenotes712

Just to let you know, I believe Suspended animation is only available through John Petrucci's website: www.johnpetrucci.com
Stephen Brown

BUY TRAIN OF THOUGHT & welcome to a new fret melting time.

All the albums are different but all have amazing tunes & riffs that will hook ya.
ebrown

It really depends on the kind of music your into already. When I first heard DT I wasn't so much into metal/prog metal and I was actually surprised at how heavy they were. If you're already into metal then any of their albums would suit you but TOT was specifically writen as a metal album. If you're not so much into the metal Octavarium may be the choice for you. Most DT fans don't like Octavarium except for the title track because it is their most pop sounding record, having said that Octavarium is definitely not a pop album. My first album was Images and Words which you pretty much couldn't go wrong with. Awake is another controversial, but in my opinion, good album. Their earlier albums are regarded by many fans as their best work, Images and Words and Awake are generally thought of well.

All their albums are worth having however depending on what your into you may want to ease into DT instead of turning yourself off their music because you can't appreciate 5/8 time sigs or get into highly technical music, which almost happened to me.
acoates

Zeds.Ded wrote:well, i much prefer live albums to studio, any recomendations on live?
Their Scenes From A Memory performance was great, Budokan was good and Score was mindblowing. Once In A Live Time was pretty 8) as well.

I prefer them live, they have an energy which is just amazing.
Azyiu

Real_Confusions wrote:

Thanks a lot!
Hehe, you are welcome... in case you forgot, I graudated from UCA in 1997, bro. :D

P.S. I think Octavarium (their latest) is a good one to start for someone totally new to DT.
Real_Confusions

Azyiu wrote:
Real_Confusions wrote:

Thanks a lot!
Hehe, you are welcome... in case you forgot, I graudated from UCA in 1997, bro. :D

P.S. I think Octavarium (their latest) is a good one to start for someone totally new to DT.
I didn't forget!
Azyiu

Real_Confusions wrote: I didn't forget!
Awesome!

So anyway, how did you get to know DT, dude? I didn't know anyone who knew who they were when I was at UCA. I knew about them on MTV's Headbangers' Ball back in 1992. The first video I watched was Pull Me Under, and then Take The Time a couple months later. It was TTT that really got me into them. I went out and brought I&W the next day! :lol: