LED ZEPPELIN

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

Do You Like Zeppelin?

Yes
21%
Yes
21%
Yes
21%
Yes
21%
No
2%
No
2%
No
2%
No
2%
Ehhh...
3%
Ehhh...
3%
Ehhh...
3%
Ehhh...
3%

Total votes: 356
Seraphim

williebee wrote:My first concert was Led Zepplin in '73 at Madison Sq Garden. I was 15 years old. Impressed the hell out of me, couldn't believe Page. They were definatley a great band for their time, no doubt.
That's when they recorded the movie??? :shock:
lydian2000

acoates wrote:Reeaally hit and miss. Came up with some awesome tunes and some completely pointless ones as well. And Page was nowhere near as good a guitarist as Beck
yeah sure, but then how come ppl can quote several songs out of the blue when asked about zeppelin, but not one from beck....talking about overrated myths...

How many more times, dazed and confused, heartbreaker, whole lotta love, to name but a few......

I havent heard anything by jeff beck that rocked as much as the abovementioned, guitar skills aside. :guitar :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :peace
williebee

Seraphim wrote:
williebee wrote:My first concert was Led Zepplin in '73 at Madison Sq Garden. I was 15 years old. Impressed the hell out of me, couldn't believe Page. They were definatley a great band for their time, no doubt.
That's when they recorded the movie??? :shock:

Yeah, I was wondering what they were doing with the cameramen on stage. Another funny thing, my first Zappa show was '78 halloween at the Palladium, again wondering what all the cameramen were doing - Baby Snakes. :peace
fiddlemord

"There are three kinds of good music: there is good music,then there is better music and then there is Led Zeppelin."

While I do not actually agree with this,someone who doesn't like Zep is a very strange person,in a mental way...
jemgirl

shure , i love led zepplin.
for years i listen to their music....and lets face it.....jimmy page is a rocker!!
Seraphim

williebee wrote:Yeah, I was wondering what they were doing with the cameramen on stage. Another funny thing, my first Zappa show was '78 halloween at the Palladium, again wondering what all the cameramen were doing - Baby Snakes. :peace
You lucky guy!!! :P
You are always in the right place in the right time!!! 8)
I saw Zappa in 1988 and that was filmed too. But still on the vaults :cry: I hope they realize that one day. According to Mike Keneally was one of the best concerts that Zappa did during the '88 tour!!!
About Led Zeppelin I never saw them :cry: but I'm not that old :wink: But I have saw in the theaters the movie for several, really several, really several times. And still watch it once in a while!!!
You rock Williebee :headbang
Juice777

Love 'em. I went through a period of listening to Zeppelin almost exclusively about 4 years ago, got all the albums, DVDs etc, and let's face it, no-one rocks more than the Zep. All hail Jimmy Page, das Riffmeister. The great thing was that all the band members separately were incredible musicians, put'em together and you got the greatest straight-up rock band ever. Achilles' Last Stand dudes!!!!
GregN

acoates wrote:Reeaally hit and miss. Came up with some awesome tunes and some completely pointless ones as well. And Page was nowhere near as good a guitarist as Beck
That being said, When they both Played in the Yardbirds, Beck was the guitarist and Jimmy Page played bass :wink:
VAI05

Juice777 wrote:Love 'em. I went through a period of listening to Zeppelin almost exclusively about 4 years ago, got all the albums, DVDs etc, and let's face it, no-one rocks more than the Zep. All hail Jimmy Page, das Riffmeister. The great thing was that all the band members separately were incredible musicians, put'em together and you got the greatest straight-up rock band ever. Achilles' Last Stand dudes!!!!
Achilles Last Stand!!!!! The recording Presence doesn't seem to get the mention that alot of the older releases get. One bad ass lp. Candy Store Rock & Tea For One are some other classics from that recording. I would have loved to been able to see them live. :cry: :cry: :cry:
ernzzz

they are the best :twisted:
UdoDirk
Newcomer

MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE BAND. EVER! C'MON ZoSo!
the queen without a king

I don't get when people say they don't like Led Zeppelin (or any classic band) because they were overrated. If the classic bands are 'overrated' and today's current bands suck major hole then what do these people consider good? (This may run a bit long)
That being said, LZ is by far my favourite band. Why? Very simple. They did it all. They were as heavy as you could get ( i.e Immigrant Song) and then did something like 'The Rain Song' that could reduce you to tears. They infused Middle Eastern elements (Kashmir) and even reggae!!! (D'yer Ma'ker) To avoid further rambling: Their records weren't boring or predictable.

Another very overlooked fact is Jimmy Page as producer. (Say what you want about his playing being sloppy or whatever but the man could write a riff that at first listen, you could NEVER forget. And he was a great acoustic player i.e Bron-Y-Aur) He found new ways of recording that were waaaaay ahead of his time. So many records of that time start sounding a bit dated whereas LZ is still powerful in 2006. His layering of the guitar to create what he's referred to as a 'guitar army' made so many LZ tracks epics. (Achilles Last Stand)
And it is because of this reason that not all Zep tracks worked so great live (this is where the 'he can't play live' comments come in) He was LZ sole guitarist...
Which brings me to John Bonham. With Jimmy as the only guitar, LZ were blessed with the best drummer in the history of music. In fact, I think John Bonham saved the live performances. He is the reason that LZ have earned that 'heavy metal' label. So much power so much musicianship.

Add John Paul Jones (he's UNDERRATED) and vocals unlike any other vocals in Robert Plant (such tremendous range, and emotion) what more can you ask for in a band?

When a band is good....they are good...period.
Some people think them overrated cause they think some other band is better. Fair enough. We all differ in opinions, and we're all entitled to agree or disagree. But comments like them being 'overrated' imply that they don't have the songs to back the hype up. I'll admit that stories about partying, drugs groupies etc sometimes took more focus. But that does not change the fact that the body of work they created speaks for itself.

So do I like Led Zeppelin? I'll let you guess. :)
Jay3

(Applause) :D
mi2tom

I love led zeppelin, they've influenced many many great players
Seraphim

Jay3 wrote:(Applause) :D
Clap clap clap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Led Zeppelin rules :peace