Howard Goodall's 'How Music Works'

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

I hope people in the UK are watching Howard Goodall's new programme, 'How Music Works' Saturday evenings, Channel 4. He shows you how music is constructed in simple, lay peoples terms-everything from Bach to the blues to somethings else beginning with 'B'! It's brilliant and highly educational as well as entertaining!
Big Bad Bill

Has anyone else been watching this? It's absolutely fab! It explains music is sucg and easy manner and with all sorts of examples. Do check it out.
Seraphim

Maybe I gonna watch it in April if the hotel when I gonna stay have the channel 4!!!!
8)
Cleggy

i dint know it was on to be honest, will look out for it now
Juice777

Yeah, it's a cool programme. He's great at putting across the more complex points of music theory in a way that even idiots can understand it. His explanation of polyrhythms was very impressive, helped me explain to a student how Zappa and Stravinsky are alike! Shame he's lost his cool perm though! Talented guy, it's incredible how many well-known TV themes he's written: QI, Mr Bean, Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie etc. etc.
Big Bad Bill

Juice777 wrote: Shame he's lost his cool perm though! Talented guy, it's incredible how many well-known TV themes he's written: QI, Mr Bean, Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie etc. etc.
That's not a perm-he's a natural curly-wurly! He's also quite happy to email you if you have a query-or at least he used to!
Juice777

What a guy. I might just do that, ask him why he didn't cover metric modulation in his programme on rhythm :D
NoAngel

Yes, we've been watching it. I agree that he makes complex theory very accessible. Thoroughly enjoying it, but had to watch the rhythm one twice to understand it :D
Big Bad Bill

NoAngel wrote:Yes, we've been watching it. I agree that he makes complex theory very accessible. Thoroughly enjoying it, but had to watch the rhythm one twice to understand it :D
Ha, I have to admit to being a little puzzled by the rhythm episode-mainly because I had to ignore my previous, less-than-lucid knowledge/teaching on rhythm! When he said that a 'double beat'-as in walking was the mother of all rhythms and superimposed a 3/4 rhythm over a 2/4 rhythm and they fitted perfectly (of course), did it slot into place with me!
Cleggy

Managed to catch the last 2 episodes of this guy, quite good, most of the time was name that tune which I enjoyed. I know it was supposed to be generally for non musicians, but wouldnt it be cool if he did an advanced sesion. Has there ever been music classes on television?
Big Bad Bill

Why don't you email and ask him Cleggy2005? It was a great series. Did you catch the last one about bass lines! Cooool!
Shredded Heat

I caught a repeat of this tonight when he was talking about syncopation. I wish more TV programmes were like this instead of appealing to the lowest common denominator. Thanks for the recommendation!
Big Bad Bill

What's really annoying is that Tiger Aspect (the programme production company) will not release any of Goodalls's programmes on DVD! It seems to me there'd be a great market for these, but alas..........