what kind of metronome is best to buy?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

I need to buy a metronome to improve my speeds. Should I buy a classic metronome or a new digital one? Or does it even matter? Anyone know what kind of metronomne Steve Vai used to learn and does someone like Steve Vai need to still use metronome when he reaches such a level or is is just to get you to Steves level and then be done with it? Thanks for all advice.

P.S. I see after an amazon search they even have metronomes now with flashing red light indictator. Does this added dimension help at all or would it just be an annoyance?
DiMarzio

Any kind of metronome is good.. Just go with the one you like best.. it does not really matter
ShawShred

You must exclusively use metronomes made of human bones.
DiMarzio

ShawShred wrote:You must exclusively use metronomes made of human bones.
Actually you should consider that and fully organic metronomes that has been cloned from humans and had their geenes tinkered with!
SPQR

I use a standard Boss TU-80, ITS PRETTY GOOD YOU CAN HAVE ACCESS TO MANY DIFFERENT SUB DIVISONS ETC, cost me £15.00
BigBadMoFoGangsta

ShawShred wrote:You must exclusively use metronomes made of human bones.
Hmmm, sounds just like something Steve Vai would say. Hehehehe.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

DiMarzio wrote:Any kind of metronome is good.. Just go with the one you like best.. it does not really matter
After reading reviews of the BOSS TU-80 recommended by one of the posters it seems all metronomes are not equal. I shall need to do much more investigation before making my purchase.
quebec
Newcomer

RAI

quebec wrote:No need to buy.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/
Nope, just need to buy a laptop with wi-fi access......

:lol:
guitar_chicken

Digital

those damn clocks just aren't loud enough. Still, they're nice furniture.
lydian2000

if u don't mind having ur computer on:

http://www.sheetmusicnow.com/tools/metronome.exe

free, simple, allows subdivisions, triplets...efficient.( i've been using software metronome for years and this is the best i found so far)

Otherwise, a digital one won't fail you(/accuracy,regularity) and will often be cheaper than a "real"one, those antique wooden things aren't that accurate and even get worse over time and temperature changes.
RAI

I used to have one of those traditional metronomes, and it seemed OK.
Then I realized it wasn't giving me a "straight" tick.
It had a slight "swing" to it, where the 2nd beat was pushed just a hair....

Go digital.
spanishphrygian

Buy a drum machine dude. Don't even waste time is a Metronome. If you need the click trak sound you can make that on a drum machine as well.
miker

Boss DB-66... best metronome ever PERIOD, IMHO.

Pick one up if you can find one... I gots mine!!!

www.roland.com/products/en/DB-66/index.html

GuitarStrings

Hey why don't you get a Boss DR-880 Drum Machine? It's the best one in the whole drum machines range. It doesn't only have almost infinite really realistic drumming styles, you can also put bass. You can change the tone of every single piece of the drum kits, you can change the tone of the bass, you can decide in what key you want to improvise, or you can compose a chord progression and play along it.
You have drumming for every genre of music, I mean EVERY. But you can also edit your own drum loops and save them.

It's very useful for recording too, you can plug it into your sound card, synchronize to your computer and use it as a MIDI instrument to control your own 100% realistic drum sample etc... for instance you can play this machine directly from Cubase.

oh, forgot to post the link:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DR-880/index.html