Most UnderRated guitarist

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Thinksocrates
Newcomer

Most UnderRated guitarist

#1 Post by Thinksocrates » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:10 am

Who do you guys think is the most underated guitarist. It seems like you see the same names over and over agian in the magizines, and i think there are alot of great players getting ignored.

Tim Mahoney(311) is my choice. Songs like NixHex and beyond the grey sky have kill guitar playing and tone.

Abhishek

#2 Post by Abhishek » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:50 pm

ANDY TIMMONS..........IF ANY SONG IS CLOSE TO BEING AS GREAT AS FTLOG IT'S CRY FOR YOU.

Me too........I'M NOT EVEN RATED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mini Vai,
Robin.

fyrie

#3 Post by fyrie » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:42 am

Reeves Gabrels. This guy is one of the only "newer" (post cock-rock) guys that is really bringing the guitar anywhere new. This guy is constantly innovating his style and the genre. On each album he has done over the years whether solo, or with Bowie, he has added a ton of new direction to his playing. He also has such a pure no-nonsense abstraction to his playing. I mean, he has an avant-garde style, but it isn't all pretentious - you don't have to understand music theory to enjoy his "out there" playing. IMHO he is the missing link between keyboards and guitar. Check out David Bowie's Earthling album to see what I mean.

Oh, and he is now a Favored Nation's artist. He will be releasing an album shortly.

autumnlord

#4 Post by autumnlord » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:06 pm

Without a doubt.....

Tony MacAlpine!

This guy is so good its ridiculous. For those that don't know Tony is playing in Vai's band for G3. He is legendary in the land of shred. Check out the following for more info:

www.tonymacalpine.com
tonymacalpine.tripod.com
www.xplanetx.com
www.cabband.com
www.ringoffiremusic.com

kettil

#5 Post by kettil » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:19 am

Mattias IA Eklundh!
I went to camp with him this year and my musical life changed (two octaves up, actually) :D

hawk
Newcomer

#6 Post by hawk » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:13 pm

autumnlord wrote:Without a doubt.....

Tony MacAlpine!

This guy is so good its ridiculous. For those that don't know Tony is playing in Vai's band for G3. He is legendary in the land of shred. Check out the following for more info:

www.tonymacalpine.com
tonymacalpine.tripod.com
www.xplanetx.com
www.cabband.com
www.ringoffiremusic.com
I couldn't agree more.....so damn good.........and so very humble. I met him after one of his clinics and you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer more "down to earth" person.

Reaper

#7 Post by Reaper » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:07 am

Peter Klett of Candlebox. Sure, it's grunge, but it's some of the best f'in grunge I've ever heard.

The Prez

#8 Post by The Prez » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:13 pm

Phil Keaggy, Me :twisted: , Jake E Lee, You've said Tony.

hawk
Newcomer

#9 Post by hawk » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:36 pm

The Prez wrote:Phil Keaggy, Me :twisted: , Jake E Lee, You've said Tony.
Yeah, Jake E Lee, whats he doing now ? I'd like to see a tour similar to the G3, Jake Lee, George Lynch, and maybe Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson.

The Prez

#10 Post by The Prez » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:52 am

Don't they have a tour like that with Marty Friedman or something?

hawk
Newcomer

#11 Post by hawk » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:19 am

I dunno, but I would like to see Marty Friedman again in any live format I could he's been one of my fave since I heard him on the Vixen album. I wish I could have seen him when he and Jason Becker were in Cacophany, but the only time I was able to see him live was the Megadeth days.

The Prez

#12 Post by The Prez » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:22 am

I read a interview with Marty recently, he sems like a jerk. He also dissed shread. It was in Guitar Player. He kept refering to complexity to shread, where that wasn't true. Chet Atkins didn't shread, but nevertheless his stuff is complex. It's what ever you want to do. He kinda had a ego going on I think.

hawk
Newcomer

#13 Post by hawk » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:23 pm

Do you remember what issue it was in,I'd like to read that one. Being a jerk doesn't seem to keep you out of a good gig though. Look at Yngwie on the G3 tour. Talk about an ego, old Wingnut seems to have the market cornered in the "big head"department. Ever since my Dad died I haven't been keeping up with the current events like I should. I've rarely had my guitar out of it's case let alone played it. Just seem to have lost something when he passed, he was my biggest fan.

The Prez

#14 Post by The Prez » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:18 pm

Honestly, I used to practice a lot more, some days a practice a ton and some not that much at all, I don't let it get me down though. It was a very recent Guitar Player, like in the last few months. His name is on the cover.

Eleven
Newcomer

Re: Most UnderRated guitarist

#15 Post by Eleven » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:30 pm

Thinksocrates wrote:Who do you guys think is the most underated guitarist. It seems like you see the same names over and over agian in the magizines, and i think there are alot of great players getting ignored.
Y'know, George Harrison was underated as a player. He could play a ton of styles and his solos would "fit" the songs.