Good Material for a Guitar Solo

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Real_Confusions

Okay, I'm entering a guitar playing contest and have about 5-10 min to work with, but seem to be stumped with what to write for some reason.

So, I guess my question is...what should I play? lol

Keep in mind that playing as fast as I can for 10 min is not an option.
al

Think of all the different techniques u can add into it make a list and try n include them
prman

Arrange some tune in chordmelody-style. And if it`s 5-10mins, it means that 5mins of good stuff is better than 10mins of average stuff. You don`t have to use all the time that is given to your performance.
jemgirl

maybe autumn leaves will impress them.

goodluck real!!! :wink:
slash89

Play them a Satriani song. Or improvise over a backing track :)
Vercetti50

Ive won twice with Im the hell outa here haha

you can try a backing track but unless you have a really well structured one and have your performance all set out, backing tracks can be repetive IMO at least
Real_Confusions

Yeah, I didn't know if it would be best to cover a song or play original material.

I don't want to be the only one covering something. Anyone else have any experience?
Vaiagra

Take a familiar classical symphony and play the lead part. They'll be thinking "Ummm, ok..." then shock them by adding bass and rhythem voicings.