Marillion Fans here

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

Who's your fav. Marillion Singer?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:19 pm

Steve Hogart
No votes
Steve Hogart
No votes
Steve Hogart
No votes
Steve Hogart
No votes
Still Fish :)
13%
13%
13%
13%
No need to pick one. Love them both
13%
13%
13%
13%

Total votes: 16
nienturi

Hi there,

For years they are my most "private" band of all time. "Misplaced Childhood" is the best and most special album of my entire life... I like their Fish times and also Hogart era...

There is a great concept on whole albums with Fish, especially. So that there is strong symbolism in the lyrics and even cover arts. Be careful about whole lyrics and cover pictures...

IMHO, best album with their albums with Steve Hogart is "Seasons End". "Brave" and latest release "Marbles" are also great...

Mark Kelly (keyboards&pianos) is my fav. band member. I really DO like what he plays...

Anyway, this is good topic to see other Marillion, Fish and etc. fans ;)
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

I have a few Marillion albums on vynil but no cd's, so when I get around to listening to vynil, they're one of the bands I listen to. Not too familiar w/ Fish's solo stuff, although I've read some good things about some of his releases. I'll eventually get around to checking out some of his solo stuff.

"Be who you is, 'cause if you ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."
frenchfred

i prefer steve hogarth than fish but my favorite album is "clutching at straws". I'm a big fan of steve rothery too...
Real_Confusions

I have never heard them until you inspired me to. They are truly an amazing band!
nienturi

Real_Confusions wrote:I have never heard them until you inspired me to. They are truly an amazing band!
ME :?:

Really? :D :lol
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:I have a few Marillion albums on vynil but no cd's, so when I get around to listening to vynil, they're one of the bands I listen to. Not too familiar w/ Fish's solo stuff, although I've read some good things about some of his releases. I'll eventually get around to checking out some of his solo stuff.

"Be who you is, 'cause if you ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."
Fish solo stuff are also good. Especially "Vigil Wilderness..." and "Raingods..." I dont like "Suits" as much as them. But it also OK :) And let remember the guitar guy in the "Vigil Wilderness..." album was Janick Gers from Iron Maiden...
frenchfred wrote:i prefer steve hogarth than fish but my favorite album is "clutching at straws". I'm a big fan of steve rothery too...
Rothery is amazing. I do like his phrasing. Simple but impressive...
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Yeah, those are the 2 by Fish I was probably gonna check out first, along with Field of Crows, so thanx. :wink: :peace Maybe some of that live stuff too.
nienturi

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:Yeah, those are the 2 by Fish I was probably gonna check out first, along with Field of Crows, so thanx. :wink: :peace Maybe some of that live stuff too.
I could never listen "Field of Crows". Can you describe that a little? Can you compare it other albums of Fish discography?
Gulliver

"Field of Crows" is a bit better than the previous one, "Fellini Days", but not too much, I'm afraid... Imo his best solo album is "Sunsets On Empire" (produced by Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree).
From his Marillion days I too prefer "Clutching At Straws" to anything else.
And I voted for Fish of course. Can't stand Hogarth's crying, really.
Olivia

Oh man! I love Marillion... have been listening to them for years now... Misplaced Childhood is such a brilliant record! I remember being very sad when Fish left the band, and thinking I would never get used to a new singer... but Season's End - their first album with Steve H. - made a big impact on me... I just love their sound, especially Rothery's playing - he is so underrated! As much as I love Fish, I think Steve H. fits in quite well... so I like them both, really...
I went to see Fish live once, it was so impressive, he is such a huge guy!
Big Bad Bill

I loved Fish-era Marillion! His lyrics were as close to poetry as I've ever heard and he was clever with it. I loved his delivery too. 'Misplaced Childhood' reminds me of my A level days and so it has a special place in my heart (of Lothian). :wink:
nienturi

Gulliver wrote:"Field of Crows" is a bit better than the previous one, "Fellini Days", but not too much, I'm afraid... Imo his best solo album is "Sunsets On Empire" (produced by Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree).
From his Marillion days I too prefer "Clutching At Straws" to anything else.
And I voted for Fish of course. Can't stand Hogarth's crying, really.
I see. It is suspicious, then for me :) Hmm... I may try one day. But im still not in hurry :)
By the way i must add that i really like Hogart. Especially, in emotioanlly deep parts and melacholic songs, he gets extremely impressive like "the space", all "Brave" album, "Symphaty" ...
Olivia wrote:Oh man! I love Marillion... have been listening to them for years now... Misplaced Childhood is such a brilliant record! I remember being very sad when Fish left the band, and thinking I would never get used to a new singer... but Season's End - their first album with Steve H. - made a big impact on me... I just love their sound, especially Rothery's playing - he is so underrated! As much as I love Fish, I think Steve H. fits in quite well... so I like them both, really...
I went to see Fish live once, it was so impressive, he is such a huge guy!
He is very tall, isnt he ;) Like Arjen Lucassen of Nederlands... He is 2nd Fish :D

It is always a pleasure to meet people loves Marillion :) So "Hi There Guys" :D Happy to see you...