Who is the best guitarist in the World?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
VAI05

slash89 wrote:Steve Vai is the best. What do you expect on the Vai message board :wink:
AMEN :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar
Real_Confusions

Mattv550 wrote:
Real_Confusions wrote:Keep in mind that it greatly depends on the forum you post on...lol.

I'd have to say that there is a tie between John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert---both of them can play ANY style of music, and play it well.
id like to see either of them get up on stage with joe pass or wes montgomery and play jazz. theyd get their ass handed to them

i am in no way saying that they are bad players, but my point is they cant play every style of music well.
Not true. Sure, they'd be nowhere near as seasoned as Pass or Montgomery with jazz, but I've heard Petrucci use some amazing jazz-esque passages, and I'd be willing to bet that Gilbert could handle his own.
Seraphim

I vote for FRANK ZAPPA!!! Well, I can't vote... don't have registed to vote yet... :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Buckethead.....oh I don't think there is a "best," but he is my favorite. :mrgreen: :guitar :guitar :guitar :headbang :headbang :headbang
RAI

Weird Al.

Nuff said.....

8)
ChRis #1

Why do we start these forums on a Vai site !

I would not be part of this site if i didnt rate Vai as number one and if you dont f*** off home.

Anyone who watches G3 and doesnt agree that Satch Wingie and Pettruci get owned should not be hear.
fiddlemord

ChRis #1 wrote:Why do we start these forums on a Vai site !

I would not be part of this site if i didnt rate Vai as number one and if you dont f*** off home.

Anyone who watches G3 and doesnt agree that Satch Wingie and Pettruci get owned should not be hear.
That's not very open minded... :roll:

Anyways,how many "Favorite guitarist/best guitarist"-threads has this messageboard seen anyways?
RAI

fiddlemord wrote:Anyways,how many "Favorite guitarist/best guitarist"-threads has this messageboard seen anyways?
Too many.....?

:wink:
DR5150

Of course Vai is the best, he can do anything! He may not play the same style as say Petrucci or Gilbert like you guys mentioned, but I'm sure he can. The only thing I don't think Vai can do is shred like Rusty Cooley, but I guess we'll never know. Based on talent it is Vai hands down, for those who said Yngwie... No... He isn't that good, he's extremely repetitive, it's good once in a while but he's far from the best, Joe Stump is WAY faster and plays the same neo-classical style as Yngwie, just less boring. The only problem with threads ike this is it's all opinionated and so many different styles. If your talking about fastest guitarist, its Rusty Cooley and Chris Impelliteri. If your talking about style and musical knowledge and ability, I say Vai and Satch reign. But, where would you put Jimi and Eddie Van Halen, it's all opinionated, so do some research before you declare a winner, chances are there's always someone better than who you think is best.
Bennett

mm it's a tough choice, but I think I will go with the red Wiggle.
Fatsteen

Yngwie Malsmsteen (or Fatsteen) :lol: :lol: :lol:
But only on the three first albums :?
fiddlemord

RAI wrote:
fiddlemord wrote:Anyways,how many "Favorite guitarist/best guitarist"-threads has this messageboard seen anyways?
Too many.....?

:wink:
Maybe. Or enough :)

But since this thread seems to go on,I'll let you know who's my favorite guitarist...Shawn Lane (R.I.P.).
salamancafiesta

The best guitar player nowadays is ANDY TIMMONS

Arguments: Great improvisation skills, ability to play ANY style of music (yes, flamenco and jazz included), great technique, total tonal control of the instrument, vast knowledge of contemporary music (he may know all of the motown records, jazz standards, 50s rock).. plus he has a very good attitude towards other guitar players.

I´d say Andy is my top pick!!
YaiYaiYai
Banned

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:There's no best but for me it's maybe someone like Tommy Emmanuel...

Damn he can play!

Shred On :guitar

If you havent seen TOmmy Emmanuel play guitar you just missed out i guess
adobephsyko
Newcomer

Hendrix once said that Billy Gibbons was the Best

I think either Vai or Jeff Beck