Guthrie Govan's Solo Album is Finally Out!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
cioran

Couldn't agree more. I'm not gonna get into a review given how many there have been already, simply state that I am blown away by the album, and I already knew he's great.
An awe-inspiring effort from one of the great musicians in years to come.

Does anybody know what's cooking as far as release on a major label and so forth is concerned? Surely this album deserves all the hands-on support it can get, the fantastic response on the net notwithstanding?

All the best.
treeduck

It's definitely my album of the year, the playing is out of this world of course, the production is perfect and the quality of the songs is tremendous, every single one is classic...it's beyond my expectations which were huge...
alexkhan

cioran wrote:
Does anybody know what's cooking as far as release on a major label and so forth is concerned? Surely this album deserves all the hands-on support it can get, the fantastic response on the net notwithstanding?

All the best.
I'm not sure, but I assume Cornford Records is working on a licensing deal with a label in the US (and other major market countries) for mass distribution. It makes sense to sell direct initially worldwide without the middlemen involved to fill the pent-up demand amongst the Guthrie fans and guitar freaks, but if they want to maximize their reach to the mainstream, they will need wider distribution.
alexkhan

treeduck wrote:It's definitely my album of the year, the playing is out of this world of course, the production is perfect and the quality of the songs is tremendous, every single one is classic...it's beyond my expectations which were huge...
Yeah, it's pretty amazing, isn't it? It exceeded my super high expectations as well. But then, that happens every time with Guthrie. I didn't expect him to be such a monster on the acoustic guitar either. Guthrie should be the next Trio guy to replace DiMeola and play along with McLaughlin and DeLucia. Yes, Guthrie is that good on the acoustic as well and you get an inkling of that on this CD's 'Slidey Boy'.
totallygeek

treeduck wrote:It's definitely my album of the year, the playing is out of this world of course, the production is perfect and the quality of the songs is tremendous, every single one is classic...it's beyond my expectations which were huge...
It just didn't edge out Tommy Emmanuel's The Mystery. I got both in the mail the same day and was over and over changing the CDs out of the player to check out the other. In the end, it was Tommy that won...
treeduck

totallygeek wrote:
It just didn't edge out Tommy Emmanuel's The Mystery. I got both in the mail the same day and was over and over changing the CDs out of the player to check out the other. In the end, it was Tommy that won...
I would have thought that these two guitarists are so radically different in style and approach and musical genre that a comparison between them would be rendered totally irrelevant...
fiddlemord

Haven't heard it all,but what I have heard is good. Don't know about buying it tho.
shredlord

Just received it today... goddamn fcking awesome!! Cannot write, to busy listening XD
Big Bad Bill

fiddlemord wrote:Haven't heard it all,but what I have heard is good. Don't know about buying it tho.
You really should get hold of a copy-it's really excellent, different and addictive!
cioran

Meanwhile, news agencies around the world are touting this guy as some sort of prodigy, leading to almost nine million viewings so far, and a rumor that the performance is enhanced or speeded up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&eurl=

Not saying he isn't good, simply saying that there are rather more deserving cases out there, (maybe a thousand on Youtube alone), and that AP or Reuters should pay me big bucks to tell them what's really going down in the world of guitar :) .
Cygnus
Newcomer

HOLY CRAP!!! :shock: Just ordered mine!! :D
alexkhan

cioran wrote:Meanwhile, news agencies around the world are touting this guy as some sort of prodigy, leading to almost nine million viewings so far, and a rumor that the performance is enhanced or speeded up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&eurl=

Not saying he isn't good, simply saying that there are rather more deserving cases out there, (maybe a thousand on Youtube alone), and that AP or Reuters should pay me big bucks to tell them what's really going down in the world of guitar :) .
Seriously... I mean, he's good, but it's not something thousands of others couldn't do. So how did it end up getting so many views? The fast technical parts do seem "enhanced", but of course, millions wouldn't be able to tell... :roll:

He actually hits quite a few sour notes throughout the thing. Plus, during those volume swells to get that violin kind of attack, he's not manipulating the volume pot and it doesn't seem like he's got his foot on a volume pedal either... It does seem like a fraud.

Oh, well, these things always sort themselves out in the end...
MatJB

Erotic Cakes rocks my socks! Guthrie rules!
RAI

MatJB wrote:Erotic Cakes rocks my socks!
This better not be taken out of context.......

:lol:
prman

My friend has Erotic Cakes and I´ve been listening to it at his place. Everyone`s (my friend included) talking like Guthrie`s gonna save the guitardom and single handedly claim his rightful title as the ultimate guitarmeister of this world (and maybe some worlds beyond). This is necessary `cos people wan`t new music and kids need new heroes and Guthrie is the new kid on the block (heh heh...)

I`m not saying that Guthrie isn`t an awesome player because it`s obvious that he is (at least technically), but I think he lacks originality. He has some original techniques but they are just gimmicks at this point and he hasn`t found any musical use for them. His sound is good and I like it but it also lacks original tone. And if you listen to his compositions they don`t bring anything new to the table. There are many players who have done this stuff many years ago (Brett Garsed and T.J. Helmerich anyone?).

I like the album and there`s always room for good guitarmusic in my CD shelf but I don`t understand all the hassle. To me this album is just another guitar album but I hope Guthrie will be able to publish his music in the future and develop his personal style throughout the years.