Guthrie Govan's Solo Album is Finally Out!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
slash89
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am

cioran wrote:Meanwhile, news agencies around the world are touting this guy as some sort of prodigy, leading to almost nine million viewings so far, and a rumor that the performance is enhanced or speeded up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&eurl=

Not saying he isn't good, simply saying that there are rather more deserving cases out there, (maybe a thousand on Youtube alone), and that AP or Reuters should pay me big bucks to tell them what's really going down in the world of guitar :) .
This song isn't hard to play! I don't know whay people love this one so much. Beautiful song, terrible preformance..
treeduck
Member
Member
Posts: 1020
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:21 pm

slash89 wrote:
cioran wrote:Meanwhile, news agencies around the world are touting this guy as some sort of prodigy, leading to almost nine million viewings so far, and a rumor that the performance is enhanced or speeded up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&eurl=

Not saying he isn't good, simply saying that there are rather more deserving cases out there, (maybe a thousand on Youtube alone), and that AP or Reuters should pay me big bucks to tell them what's really going down in the world of guitar :) .
This song isn't hard to play! I don't know whay people love this one so much. Beautiful song, terrible preformance..
Why the heck is this kid in a Guthrie Govan thread???
Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

Anyone know what Mr Vai thinks of U.K Guthrie?
alexkhan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:29 pm

prman wrote:My friend has Erotic Cakes and I´ve been listening to it at his place. Everyone`s (my friend included) talking like Guthrie`s gonna save the guitardom and single handedly claim his rightful title as the ultimate guitarmeister of this world (and maybe some worlds beyond). This is necessary `cos people wan`t new music and kids need new heroes and Guthrie is the new kid on the block (heh heh...)

I`m not saying that Guthrie isn`t an awesome player because it`s obvious that he is (at least technically), but I think he lacks originality. He has some original techniques but they are just gimmicks at this point and he hasn`t found any musical use for them. His sound is good and I like it but it also lacks original tone. And if you listen to his compositions they don`t bring anything new to the table. There are many players who have done this stuff many years ago (Brett Garsed and T.J. Helmerich anyone?).

I like the album and there`s always room for good guitarmusic in my CD shelf but I don`t understand all the hassle. To me this album is just another guitar album but I hope Guthrie will be able to publish his music in the future and develop his personal style throughout the years.
It's all subjective in the end. I don't know why you not seeing it the way others see it should be considered a "hassle". It just didn't quite float your boat as it floated others'. There were many who said the same things about 'Passion & Warfare' when it came out. I was on the P&W bandwagon and I heard plenty of "Well, it's good but it's all been done before. What's the big deal?" No player or no kind of music or no album will ever be all things to all people.
alexkhan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:29 pm

FRETPICK wrote:Anyone know what Mr Vai thinks of U.K Guthrie?
My guess is that Mr. Vai is proud to have a worthy "disciple" like Guthrie. :wink:
alexkhan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:29 pm

Well, we know what Satch thinks of Guthrie now...

Got this message from Paul Cornford:

Hey Ed here's a good guote from MR. SATRIANI,

"Paul,
Totally freakin awesome!!! Tell Guthrie and Jan this CD put a grin on my face a mile wide.
Joe"


I'd say it won't be too long before we see Guthrie join a G3 tour. The CD still needs widespread distribution and press coverage, but Paul C tells me all those things are well in motion.
Last edited by alexkhan on Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant711UK
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:56 am

I spoke to Joe's manager, Mick Brigden on the last Satriani tour about the G3 line ups. He said they're always looking at who to have on. He didn't mention any names but said that some of the guys they had thought of asking wouldn't see themselves as being the type of player to do a G3 tour even though Joe thought they would. I think the G3 camp is open to all type of suggestions and although many more peope in the UK are aware of GG I don't think he is a big enough draw for a 'G' spot yet. Although I do think it'd be great to see Guthrie guest on the tour and maybe jam with Satch, Vai and Petrucci or whoever else they do ask (hopefully PG :wink: but probably not :cry: )

Tony
alexkhan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:29 pm

Ant711UK wrote:I spoke to Joe's manager, Mick Brigden on the last Satriani tour about the G3 line ups. He said they're always looking at who to have on. He didn't mention any names but said that some of the guys they had thought of asking wouldn't see themselves as being the type of player to do a G3 tour even though Joe thought they would. I think the G3 camp is open to all type of suggestions and although many more peope in the UK are aware of GG I don't think he is a big enough draw for a 'G' spot yet. Although I do think it'd be great to see Guthrie guest on the tour and maybe jam with Satch, Vai and Petrucci or whoever else they do ask (hopefully PG :wink: but probably not :cry: )

Tony
I agree that Guthrie is at least a year or two off from being considered for one of the 'G' spots (hmmm... that sounds a little funny :P), but even if he could make some cameo jam appearances at the end, that'd be great. The 'EC' album needs to be distributed through main channels and a lot of mainstream press coverage needs to happen and then succeed at that level for Guthrie to make that coveted G spot. :wink:
bassmonster
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:14 am

Got this a couple of days ago listened to it non stop, amazing the boy can play a bit,
alexkhan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:29 pm

It is now available in the US through a "normal" distribution channel:

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/prod ... ctid=21705

Not much cheaper since it's still an import from the UK, but hey, it's getting there. :wink:
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am

Guthrie has a mini interview and a couple of photos, in this months Guitarist (UK) magazine by the way. It seems he's a huge Steve Vai fan and is heavily influenced by the great man, although the 'Try Guthrie if you like....' bit mentions artists who have little to do with GG's style and doesn't even list Vai! i find Guitarists music reviews irritating-especially Simon Bradley's!
Ant711UK
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:56 am

Here's what Guthrie says about Vai in an interview at alloutguitar.com

"In technique terms I could go on for days about players we both know, but the one who really made a difference and had a massive impact on me was Steve Vai – he wasn’t just displaying outrageous rock technique but utilising it whilst also really playing for the song. To hear him play on ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile’. with a different approach for every song yet always sounding unmistakeably like the same guy, that was hugely inspiring. The fact that there was a sense of humour there, and that he didn’t sound like he was trying to impress you, he was entertaining you – that seemed like evidence of a broader imagination than everyone else around was exhibiting at that time. I loved it!"

I'd say he's a fan alright!!

I don't buy magazines these days, everything I need is right here on the net.

Tony
cioran
Member
Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:30 am

treeduck wrote:
slash89 wrote:
cioran wrote:Meanwhile, news agencies around the world are touting this guy as some sort of prodigy, leading to almost nine million viewings so far, and a rumor that the performance is enhanced or speeded up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&eurl=

Not saying he isn't good, simply saying that there are rather more deserving cases out there, (maybe a thousand on Youtube alone), and that AP or Reuters should pay me big bucks to tell them what's really going down in the world of guitar :) .
This song isn't hard to play! I don't know whay people love this one so much. Beautiful song, terrible preformance..
Why the heck is this kid in a Guthrie Govan thread???
I put him here 'cos of all the attention he's getting with his substandard performance, whilst Guthrie was still at the mail-order stage with his album. I underlined the main point. Sorry if it seems out of place, but I didn't think people would be quoting it..... :roll:
Cygnus
Newcomer
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Hey I think it's a great cd! I just got mine today in the mail, I'm really enjoying it. Just me.... it's the music I enjoy, not so much the performance. I'm NOT the most talented musician myself, and I use alot of studio tricks/edits/enhancements to get the sound that I want and I'll be the FIRST to admit that I did if I do... big deal. The talent I think is to be able to take the music that you hear in your mind & heart, and be able to put it on some type of physical media. :wink:
alexkhan
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:29 pm

cioran wrote:
treeduck wrote:
slash89 wrote:This song isn't hard to play! I don't know whay people love this one so much. Beautiful song, terrible preformance..
Why the heck is this kid in a Guthrie Govan thread???

I put him here 'cos of all the attention he's getting with his substandard performance, whilst Guthrie was still at the mail-order stage with his album. I underlined the main point. Sorry if it seems out of place, but I didn't think people would be quoting it..... :roll:
I think you bring up a good point. Heck, even my father who's visiting us from Korea mentioned about this video, saying that there was a Korean "prodigy" 19-year-old kid that got mentioned on NY Times. I told him, "Dad, that kid doesn't have 1/100th the talent that Guthrie has." And he goes, "Really? So how did he get mentioned on NY Times at such a young age?" :roll: You know, I didn't know what to tell him: "That's just how things go in this business..."
Post Reply