Guthrie Govan's Solo Album is Finally Out!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
treeduck

alexkhan wrote:You guys have to check out this thread on the Guitar World forum. Quite funny how it turned out in the end! :lol:

http://www.guitarworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27805

Ahhh, the foibles of life in the age of the Internet...
I just saw it Ed, that's funny...talk about owned...

:lol:
Ant711UK

What was the point in doing that? What a complete pillock!!!

I'm actually really looking forward to reading everyones take on the CD.
Let's hope there's some slightly more intelligent reviews on this forum.

Tony
cioran

Heh, maybe we should send his posts on to Guthrie's forum... :twisted:

Normally he'd be torn a new one, of course, but most people there seem rather too nice.

It's ordered, anyhow, now I gotta handle the waiting game.
treeduck

cioran wrote:Heh, maybe we should send his posts on to Guthrie's forum... :twisted:

Normally he'd be torn a new one, of course, but most people there seem rather too nice.
Apparantly he's already been on there and been torn one as it were...

:wink:
cioran

(German accent); Ah, so. Gooood, goood.....
Big Bad Bill

I've got it, I've got it (and in a very nice jiffy bag!). Burning as we speak-I think I may have peed myself a little!!

Review later................
Big Bad Bill

Lots of interesting liner notes about each track. Superb tone and sparkling production...........

More later..............
slash89

Cool Bill. Be sure to let us know your opinion :)
Big Bad Bill

We Via-fans are going to get a real kick out of this album-it has aspects that will satisfy us in the way Dave Weiners CD did, but it's not Vai!

It goes without saying that the productions is crisp but pleasantly mellow on the ears and that Guthrie's playing is phenomenal-he does things........unspeakable things..... to his guitar that coaxes out lovely tones. This has to be the best advert for Cornford amps ever! It's a thick, middley tone that still manages to bite through-it's never muddy. Yum, yum!

But it's the pieces themselves that really shouldn't be overlooked-there are structures that are Vaiesque in their complexity, but never overbearingly so! When you hear it you'll realise that Guthries has musical taste by the spade-load-his note selection is just impeccable! He flies around the fretboard but always nails that wonderful note of resolution tha makes you go all gooey inside and makes you want to grab your guitar and play.

I'm going to have to listen to this a few times to really get a handle on it, but rest assured, yu won't be disappointed!
slash89

Cool! I'm so excided :) Can't wait to open the mail-box the next few days.. :P
treeduck

I have mine WOW :shock:

Just listening to Slidey Boy now... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What about this for a cool pic of Guthrie on the back of the booklet...

shacks

...still waiting for my copy... :)

shacks
Ant711UK

I love the artwork including the shopping bill, along with the typically 'british' daft liner notes. The whole thing is quite obviously aimed straight at guitar nuts like us lot!

I've had a quick listen through my crappy PC speakers but it's going in my car tomorrow, so I'll post my review after hearing it at 11 :wink:

Tony
cbr1000f

alexkhan wrote:You guys have to check out this thread on the Guitar World forum. Quite funny how it turned out in the end! :lol:

http://www.guitarworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27805

Ahhh, the foibles of life in the age of the Internet...
I just read it...unbelievable!
alexkhan

IMHO, and I've been following this scene closely since the early-80's when I was a DiMeola freak, this album joins a short list of the most amazing and influential rock guitar instrumental albums of all time:

Yngwie - Rising Force
Satch - Surfing with the Alien
Vai - Passion & Warfare
EJ - Ah Via Musicom

There have been some really cool albums since P&W like Satch's 'Crystal Planet' and Vai's 'ALS' and 'Fire Garden', but they never quite equalled 'Surfing' and 'P&W' in terms of impact.

Guthrie, with 'Erotic Cakes', takes it all to the next level - technically, compositionally, tonally, musically, creatively, production-wise. It all comes together on this album. Just go and get it. I remember how I felt when I first heard 'P&W'. It was an overwhelming experience. I feel the same with Guthrie's 'Erotic Cakes', some 15 years later...