Guthrie Govan's Solo Album is Finally Out!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

This from Paul Cornford:
Mr C wrote:Hello,

The shipping will start tomorrow (Thursday) a slight delay on Jiffy bags and all off the logistics of it all etc etc.

Strange as it may seem about 150 of the 1st batch are going to Japan,

PC
So, Friday by the very earliest!
Ant711UK

I don't think that's strange at all! Guitar music is huge in japan, Paul Gilbert's pretty big there which is bugger for us as he's out there most of the time!
treeduck

Big Bad Bill wrote:Still nothing in the post :cry: I hope this isn't going to be a '28 days' delivery thing.........
yeah the old 28 days which normally turns out to be 40...

:shock:
treeduck

Big Bad Bill wrote:This from Paul Cornford:
Mr C wrote:Hello,

The shipping will start tomorrow (Thursday) a slight delay on Jiffy bags and all off the logistics of it all etc etc.

Strange as it may seem about 150 of the 1st batch are going to Japan,

PC
So, Friday by the very earliest!
Yeah I went there first, I think it'll probably come Friday or Saturday, it's only coming from Kent...
OU812Manny

Here is a review of the new GG album copied from a poster that goes by the name of nmoyrand on the Guitar World forum...................................

Just got it and frankly, while fine, it certainly isn't anything awesome by any stretch of the imagination.

Sounds like Firkins at time, country shred, with more straight ahead shred/fusion thrown in and way too much tapping left and right.

Not a yawn fest per se, but certainly not the kind of album that'll make my top shred list.

It has its good moments but frankly, I find it aimless and yes, and I'm sorry to say, but the guy isn't that interesting to listen to... taps all the time and frankly, after a while, it gets really old.

I don't really like it except maybe for "Rhode Island Shred", the only salvageable tune on the whole album in my opinion.

Cheers.
alexkhan

That's funny. Cornford hasn't started shipping the CD's yet from UK so I wonder where he got his. :lol: I just received a copy from Guthrie yesterday and he only had one for himself until last week. This guy listened to the clips and decided he doesn't like it or is tired of the attention Guthrie is getting and is now just spewing crap for the sake of it. Whatever... :roll:
slash89

OU812Manny wrote:Here is a review of the new GG album copied from a poster that goes by the name of nmoyrand on the Guitar World forum...................................

Just got it and frankly, while fine, it certainly isn't anything awesome by any stretch of the imagination.

Sounds like Firkins at time, country shred, with more straight ahead shred/fusion thrown in and way too much tapping left and right.

Not a yawn fest per se, but certainly not the kind of album that'll make my top shred list.

It has its good moments but frankly, I find it aimless and yes, and I'm sorry to say, but the guy isn't that interesting to listen to... taps all the time and frankly, after a while, it gets really old.

I don't really like it except maybe for "Rhode Island Shred", the only salvageable tune on the whole album in my opinion.

Cheers.
Not very promising :?
alexkhan

slash89 wrote:
OU812Manny wrote:Here is a review of the new GG album copied from a poster that goes by the name of nmoyrand on the Guitar World forum...................................

Cheers.
Not very promising :?
The CD's haven't started shipping from UK yet. Cornford Records said that they're still waiting for the jiffy bags to come in before they ship. There's a smear agenda behind this whole post.
OU812Manny

Go to Guitar World's forum. Don't take my word for it. I am only a messenger. He wrote more than this on another post in the same thread. Doesn't seem to be any smear agenda here and it seems to me he has heard it. He's a pretty knowedgable guy and goes into detail in another post about different tracks.
alexkhan

OU812Manny wrote:Go to Guitar World's forum. Don't take my word for it. I am only a messenger. He wrote more than this on another post in the same thread. Doesn't seem to be any smear agenda here and it seems to me he has heard it. He's a pretty knowedgable guy and goes into detail in another post about different tracks.
Well, the truth of the matter is that Cornford Records haven't started shipping it yet and they're in UK. Paul Cornford stated that they are still waiting for jiffy bags to come in and get all the other logistics kind of stuff going to ship out the first copies and they hope to start shipping some out tomorrow.

Anyway, I got my copy from Guthrie yesterday and he shipped some copies to me middle of last week because he only had one copy until that time. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best all-around guitar instrumental album I've heard and the best I've heard since Vai's 'Passion & Warfare' and EJ's 'Ah Via Musicom'. It's truly awesome. This guy probably saw the Tone Merchants video clips and didn't like Guthrie's style. Well, there'll always be guys who'll post negative rants for the sake of doing so. Seems he does the same about Lane.
treeduck

That guy from Guitar World again? :roll:

One guy says he doesn't like it out of about a dozen in a thread, a guy who probably hasn't even been able to get a copy yet, as I've yet to hear that anyone has recieved a copy (bar insiders and people that know Guthrie) and it's a big deal?

If you read the post in context with the rest of the thread it'll make more sense I think...

http://www.guitarworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27805
treeduck

This is what the same guy says about Bumblefoot...

"He's a great technical player if not one of the best as we speak but he's, at least as far as I'm concerned, way too quirky and somewhere, aimless at the end of the day.

The epitome of a fantastically gifted player that just doesn't know what to do with his talent... I've seen him a few times and he comes across as a circus act as opposed to a guy that has a definite direction with his playing. A shame really as his guitaristic talent is frankly mind blowing."

http://www.guitarworld.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

And this is what he says about Steve and Yngwie...

"Ahem, well, very different players with very different aims where Vai certainly loves technical experiments and where Yngwie is a pure natural talent with a clear conservative/European harmonic structure he'll never let go of.

"Vai is certainly a great player but his often time quirky weirdness-for-weirdness sake approach to the guitar leave me cold whereas Yngwie's pure western classical harmonic structures always get me.

"It could be a question of upbringing and somewhere western culture but Yngwie's music speaks and moves me eons over the souless, uprooted stuff I hear whenever Vai plays.

"To me, Vai is a great guitarist but I simply have a hard time relating whereas whenever it's Yngwie, it's just obvious, I understand him."

http://www.guitarworld.com/forum/viewto ... hlight=vai

:roll:
Ant711UK

Hang on chaps! the guy is entitled to an opinion as we all are.

Whether his opinion is from Tone Merchants, from clips or whatever, he is just saying what he thinks. He likes Malmsteen and he doesn't like Vai too much, it's up to him. Not everyone will be blown away by GG on his playing alone as a lot of people expect, it'll be his compositions that will do it in the end and hopefully they are great but we're all still waiting to hear them.

I like the clips I've heard and I find GG ultra interesting to listen to so I'm optimistic.

Tony
Big Bad Bill

treeduck wrote:And this is what he says about Steve and Yngwie...

"Ahem, well, very different players with very different aims where Vai certainly loves technical experiments and where Yngwie is a pure natural talent with a clear conservative/European harmonic structure he'll never let go of.

"Vai is certainly a great player but his often time quirky weirdness-for-weirdness sake approach to the guitar leave me cold whereas Yngwie's pure western classical harmonic structures always get me.

"It could be a question of upbringing and somewhere western culture but Yngwie's music speaks and moves me eons over the souless, uprooted stuff I hear whenever Vai plays.

"To me, Vai is a great guitarist but I simply have a hard time relating whereas whenever it's Yngwie, it's just obvious, I understand him."
He's obviously an Eric Clapton fan and likes his music with a lot of 'blue' in it!
alexkhan

You guys have to check out this thread on the Guitar World forum. Quite funny how it turned out in the end! :lol:

http://www.guitarworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27805

Ahhh, the foibles of life in the age of the Internet...