TOP OF THE POPS POPPED

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
YaiYaiYai
Banned

Music now sucks

Read all about it the pop music (well not pop exactly) british officiall muci programme has QUIT!!!!!

Why.....Ipods Hi fis.....INTERNET!!! LIMEWIRE"""!!!!

What is happening to music!!!!

Express your comment please on music!
Seraphim

What? Top Of The Pops ended? Why? Damn, use to be good way to know a lot of bands :?
YaiYaiYai
Banned

Yes

Too much Ipods etc stopping kids getting music the good way!

End of an ERA mainly why i posted as this for us as musicians is a milestone(beginning) iof what is to come.
Big Bad Bill

I'm glad-it was rubbish (for 9 year olds really) and like the dinosaurs it deserves to have gone extinct!
Cleggy

Maybe they could replace it with a show where musically minded people go on and perform live music and maybe even sing live?

But then again, thats above most BBC producers.
Yorksha_Pud

I think we'll just have to stick to 'Later With Jools Holland' for that. A great show like that would never appear on prime time UK tv tho. People would rather see talentless fools dancing around the stage miming than talented bands playing real LIVE music...
Big Bad Bill

Cleggy2005 wrote:Maybe they could replace it with a show where musically minded people go on and perform live music and maybe even sing live?

But then again, thats above most BBC producers.
Like Yorkshire_Pud said, 'Later with Jools Holland' really is the logical progression of ToTP. The problem is that it does occasionally swerve in the direct of 'pap music', but on the whole it's pretty good-and live too.

In all honesty ToTP and LwJH are for two different types of audience. The former is for those 13-16 yr old girls you see everywhere (with straightened hair, full make up, hipster jeans and a 'bay window' hanging over them) who basically want to oggle the latest thing (Gareth Gates-may his short career rest in peace), and the latter is for the 24+ brigade who like a bit of a mix of rock, Indie, World etc.

Actually, I've had a bit of a campaign to try and get Steve on LwJH as I think he's be perfect for it and it'd be a great way of raising his profile with a larger audience. I bombarded the BBC with emails as did others here, but nothings happened. I assume Steve 'people' need to get in touch with the Beeb rather than the other way around.
Cleggy

1st of all, whos Gareth Gates?? (joke)

Is Jools Holland still going, its been a while hasnt it since he was last on TV?

I remember that thread, id dig it up but the campaign has been lost. You only get to perform on TV if you have a product, so when ALS:Steroids comes out, il revive it.

But anyway TOTPs... if people hadn't said it was finishing i doubt anyone would have noticed.
calos

Yorksha_Pud wrote:I think we'll just have to stick to 'Later With Jools Holland' for that. A great show like that would never appear on prime time UK tv tho. People would rather see talentless fools dancing around the stage miming than talented bands playing real LIVE music...
Indeed, bring back the old gray whistle test while we're about it sir!

Lub later with Jools Holland too btw.

peace
cal
Big Bad Bill

calos wrote:Indeed, bring back the old gray whistle test while we're about it sir!
Your showing your age there, calos! Naturally, I've never heard of the OGWT............:wink:
Ant711UK

The reason TOTP has ended is because kids these days are more aware than we give them credit. I'd say they realise that what they are seeing every week isn't particularly good and they're fully aware that they can create more or less the same type of stuff on thier own PC at home. They know when they're being had!

In the early days of TOTP 90% of the music was crap and the best stuff was usually found on The Old Grey Whistle test anyway. If young musicians had access to recording equipment in those days in the same way as they do now I reckon they would've turned off then as well.

I don't think it's because music has gone downhill as some people say, it's always been the same type of trash on TOTP, I just think people have finally had enough of being told 'this is good' when it quite obviously isn't.

I've said before that great music is still being written and performed and the people who really want to see & hear it will find it.

I'm glad it's gone and with a bit of luck MTV will be next!

Tony