The day that SATCH lost his tone...

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
lydian7

Alot of us remember Satriani for his peak-period (i.e surfing, extremist ect..), but for many who have just become associated with him, they listen to him on 'Strange beautiful music' for the first time. Is it just me, or is this album his worst yet?

1. The songs sound poorly written and spliced together very roughly, not as slick as we've come to expect from satch.

2. His tone has completely 'gone to pot'! Why doesn't he want to sound like himself anymore? He's influenced millions of people with his innovative tone and slick legato playing, so why does he choose to sound more like a second rate Eric Clapton?

3. Why does he wear a sad hooded top on the album cover to SBM? He's 40 odd years old for cryin' out loud, why does he feel he has to 'sell' himself to the teeny-boppers by appering to wear skater gear? Like he's 'with it' or something?

I used to be a biiiiiiiiiiig satch fan, he's infuenced me in such a deep way. But ever since his excellent CRYSTAL PLANET album, everything he produces has gone down hill. I just hope he returns to form on this next album, but I sadly doubt that he will. Like most great artists, I prefer to remember him in his prime, so I won't be going to any more satch gigs.

I think when he started out he had a unique vision. His album 'Not of this earth' saw him experimenting with different elements of music, and strange tonalities. Then when 'Surfing' cam out, his Ideas had crystalized (excuse the pun!) into an extremely polished outfit. Now I think he's only in it for the money. He's got a wife, kids, maybe a great house...all he wants to do is give people what they want, I think he's lost his musical vision and he wants an easy ride. Who can blame him though I guess right? But I feel that Steve (vai) still believes in his art, and he never compromises his musical vision by wearing sad hooded tops.

I really love the old satchs music, it was wonderful and mystical and fun, and I'll always have a soft spot for it.
Reaper

I would disagree... his tone, if anything, sounds far warmer than any of his previous albums. I also like the production involved, the added layers that IMO, really add to the album. It's not your standard shred-rock, and I think it kind of moves away from the shred-for-the-sake-of-shred idea that everyone holds against guys like Satch and Vai, and I see him heading more writing for the song.

And I'd love to see Eric Clapton pull of any part of that mind storm solo, or produce the tone from Oriental Melody.

BTW, I've owned Surfing with the Alien, Time Machine, Crystal Planet, and Engines of Creation (all prior to SBM).
lydian7

Reaper wrote:I would disagree... his tone, if anything, sounds far warmer than any of his previous albums.
I think it sounds very thin, and 'tinny'. Compare it to anything on 'The extremist'...you'll see that the difference in tone quality is enormous, and that any song from the extremist has pristine tone quality.
I also like the production involved, the added layers that IMO, really add to the album. It's not your standard shred-rock, and I think it kind of moves away from the shred-for-the-sake-of-shred idea that everyone holds against guys like Satch and Vai, and I see him heading more writing for the song.
I think the songs are very weak, especially 'Starry night'. They sound as if he hasn't mastered them properly, and most of the melodies seem very half-baked. Before 'Engines of creation' this certainly wasn't the case, and I think both his song writing, and his melodies were the very best.
And I'd love to see Eric Clapton pull of any part of that mind storm solo, or produce the tone from Oriental Melody.

He probably wouldn't want to, 'mind storm' is possibly the ugliest, most out-of-place thrown together solo I have ever heard. Gratuitous shredding if ever I heard it. It wouldn't be so bad if the tone was half-decent too.

BTW, I've owned Surfing with the Alien, Time Machine, Crystal Planet, and Engines of Creation (all prior to SBM).

Then you didn't hear the best of satch. Why didn't you get 'extremist', 'Joe satriani', or even 'Not of this earth'? I think by buying 'SBM' before these albums, your vision of satch was in danger of being obscured.

Have you got the extremist now? I recemmend you get it, then you'll weep when you compare it to the amateurish 'SBM'. :wink:
Last edited by lydian7 on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lydian7

Image <-------Here, it looks like this! :D
track7

Lyd

I have to strangley both agree and disagree with you on this one.

SBM is a weird album. To me it sounds like a bunch of demos string together, and yes his tone is way different than before. The production sounds like it was done very cheaply with drum machines on pro-tools etc etc.

HOWEVER

I love it. Something about the way it flows the melodies that it has. The titles of the songs are sometimes strange and there is some not so strange stuff on it.

But I like it. My brain tells me not to like it for lots of reasons, some of which i said above, but i cant help but reach for the cd and listen to it to fall asleep to, or travel with.

Maybe in few years i'll work it out what my fascinatin with it is, as i mentioned the production is sloppy, there aint much chops, and there is some real cheesy sheet on it. I think its the atmosphere it creates and the vibe it gives me...we must all be cosmically pulled to some things :lol:

Track
track7

BTW lyd where are you studying for your Bmus, i'm doing a Bmus at Leeds College Music at the moment, but I come from Walsall :lol: ??

Track
lydian7

Good, so it wasn't just me that thought those things! *phew* :)

...I can see were you're coming from, there is a 'certain' charm to it, but maybe only because it's Satch. If it was by any other artist, I don't think I'd bother with it.

Maybe in a few years time I'll look back on it and think 'hmm, not as bad as I thought', but I just don't get were he's coming from at the moment. I prefered his old way of composing, and Ironically, I found his old style alot more 'contemporary' sounding!

Metallica's new album was the same. Why do these bands want to sound so cruddy when they're obviously capable of more quality music? :roll:
lydian7

track7 wrote:BTW lyd where are you studying for your Bmus, i'm doing a Bmus at Leeds College Music at the moment, but I come from Walsall :lol: ??

Track
Wow! I'm going to university at Wolverhampton, but the university is in Walsall!! wow, small world man! :wink:

I used to go to the G.I.T in london, but it was very expensive to live up there, plus the G.I.T is a s_h_i_t - hole! lol. Thought I'd move closer to home and commute. More money to buy essentials such as equipment that way! *ahem, I mean books!* :roll:
track7

Hmm Hmm Cool when i'm back home visiting we'll have to meet up and jam! cant believe there is another serious musician back in my home area after all this time, why didn't we meet earlier!?

On one of your sites you mention Ryan Bull as a band member, now that name rings a serious bell....did he meet satriani back stage at a concert one time. Cause if he did I was with him?

If thats correct even more smaller world!?
lydian7

track7 wrote:Hmm Hmm Cool when i'm back home visiting we'll have to meet up and jam! cant believe there is another serious musician back in my home area after all this time, why didn't we meet earlier!?

On one of your sites you mention Ryan Bull as a band member, now that name rings a serious bell....did he meet satriani back stage at a concert one time. Cause if he did I was with him?

If thats correct even more smaller world!?

Wow, you know RYAN BULL! That guy's legendary!!! :shock:
lydian7

lol, only joking, I'm Ryan Bull! :wink:

IMG!! So you were the guy who security sneaked in with me at satriani's gig! At the N.E.C birmingham right? Engines of creation?

You've got a signature Jem7wh Ibanez right? And you wanted to ask Satriani for a loan so that you could travel to Berklee!!! Wow!! So you went to america huh?

I can't believe it, what a coincidence!! :)
Last edited by lydian7 on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
track7

Ha ha....

Ok i just realised you're referring to yourself in the third person on your site. :roll: my mistake.

So...was it you that I sneekd backstage at the engines of creation tour in brum with? If not it was anotehr guy who looked remarkably simliar and was going to GIT in london...i was the guy who was going to Berklee,

Track
lydian7

Wow so how are you keeping, are you in america? What are you doing with yourself lately?

Btw, which website are you viewing? I hope it's not a really old embarrassing one...there's some pretty rough sounding demos on there. Go to this one! :wink:

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/ultraguitar
Last edited by lydian7 on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
track7

Lol just posted that at the same time..

yea its me wow how bout that, crazy!

Well i did end up going to america but sadly not to berklee, i got 2 scholarships in the end (cd and live auditions) however it was sitll not enough to cover the accomodation :evil: :(

So i went to leeds to study jazz and contemporary i'm in my 4th year now finishing up.

But yea I ended up in the states anyway, well i'm going back and forth all the time for buisness and personal musical pursuits.

Track

p.s how stupid and cheeky of me thinking satch would help out?! oh well a shot in the dark never hurt anyone. One thing i've learned is that in this industry you gotta go and grab what you want!

Sorry G.I.T didn't work out, i understand the dissapoinment you may have felt. But other things will open up, what's your plans, doing any gigging?

david
lydian7

I wasn't that dissappointed with G.I.T. I passed the audition easily, and I stayed there for a year studying for my Bmus. But it was all performance, and I wanted to concentrate more on composition. Plus London is VERY expensive, so I had the same problem as you. I'm just finishing my degree at Wolverhampton uni now. Also I'm doing alot of student film music. Check out my website for a few samples of my latest film music project, hopefully the music I do for this film will get viewed at a major student film festival! :D