Video: Rusty Cooley live in Houston, TX - July 1st, 2006

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Shy Boy

If you don't like shred then PLEASE don't watch and PLEASE don't reply... Having said that, here is Rusty Cooley live with "OUTWORLD" at the "Forgetta-Bout-It" in Houston, TX on July 1st, 2006. It was filmed and edited by yours truly.

If you liked that, Rusty also appears in most (if not all) of my "Guitars SUCK" videos - most recently being "Guitars SUCK 4" where I used a short clip of Rusty playing his instrumental track "Under the Influence".

Thanks, and have fun with it.
munchocruncho

I love phillistines.
shreddlolrd

i love rusty's playing, n he was my best influence, n i hate guys with no music accomplishment that say "rusty sucks, rusty only knows to play fast..." and shits like that...
Tommy

I like shred but I think it got a little boring.
SPQR

Rusty is good don't get me wrong but lets get realistic man yea its music he is playing however has he really out much thought into it i not so sure, but good nonetheless.

Laters nice clip 8)
Shy Boy

I think he put his heart into it, if that's what you mean. If you're talking about theory - Rusty is a freakin' genius in that regard. His rhythm playing is definitely a few steps above most other metal bands when it comes to how intelligently written and innovative it is. Sadly, the rhythm/vocal footage’s sound didn’t come out listenable, so I was forced to only use the solo videos I took.

A lot of people want to label Rusty a “mindless shredder”, when really his music (especially on his instrumental album) is extremely sophisticated, and is just packed with great melodies and one interesting idea after another. People don’t like to have to think or process the music they listen to, which is why they immediately try and label Rusty’s stuff as mindless and unmelodic. It comes at them too fast and their ears are under trained in that style… Too fast, too many notes, too much noise, too heavy, etc… they just overload and don’t like it.

It’s like easy listening smooth jazz (in this case, someone like Vai) compared to Coltrane (Cooley). Don’t get me wrong - I love both Vai and Rusty’s music almost equally - but as far as how challenging it is, Rusty’s stuff easily takes the cake. Which is exactly why Steve has been much more successful with mainstream audiences! Believe it or not, people don’t like to be challenged by the music they listen to, and someone like Vai is usually seen as the height of their musical development.
slash89

Shy Boy wrote:I think he put his heart into it, if that's what you mean. If you're talking about theory - Rusty is a freakin' genius in that regard. His rhythm playing is definitely a few steps above most other metal bands when it comes to how intelligently written and innovative it is. Sadly, the rhythm/vocal footage’s sound didn’t come out listenable, so I was forced to only use the solo videos I took.

A lot of people want to label Rusty a “mindless shredder”, when really his music (especially on his instrumental album) is extremely sophisticated, and is just packed with great melodies and one interesting idea after another. People don’t like to have to think or process the music they listen to, which is why they immediately try and label Rusty’s stuff as mindless and unmelodic. It comes at them too fast and their ears are under trained in that style… Too fast, too many notes, too much noise, too heavy, etc… they just overload and don’t like it.

It’s like easy listening smooth jazz (in this case, someone like Vai) compared to Coltrane (Cooley). Don’t get me wrong - I love both Vai and Rusty’s music almost equally - but as far as how challenging it is, Rusty’s stuff easily takes the cake. Which is exactly why Steve has been much more successful with mainstream audiences! Believe it or not, people don’t like to be challenged by the music they listen to, and someone like Vai is usually seen as the height of their musical development.
I agree with you on most parts, but I wouldn't say Vai is very mainstream material. Most people today hasn't even heard of him :oops:
munchocruncho

It is easy to make your music sound like shit.
I don't get why that makes Rusty so great.
Shy Boy

slash89 wrote:I agree with you on most parts, but I wouldn't say Vai is very mainstream material. Most people today hasn't even heard of him :oops:
True, Vai isn't mainstream in the MTV/VH1 way (anymore, at least), but he's done well enough. He can sell out a large show like many other big popular vocal-band acts, and you can find his CD's in most record stores.
j.arledge

i like rusty , i love the fact he is now going to be using dean guitars . check out his site .

super fast is cool , it gets old but i have picked up some speed tips by watching him play .
Prezidentman

Shy Boy wrote:
slash89 wrote:I agree with you on most parts, but I wouldn't say Vai is very mainstream material. Most people today hasn't even heard of him :oops:
True, Vai isn't mainstream in the MTV/VH1 way (anymore, at least), but he's done well enough. He can sell out a large show like many other big popular vocal-band acts, and you can find his CD's in most record stores.
Yeah, maybe that's because he's been around for like 25 years and toured with some of the biggest bands ever :wink:

As for Rusty, well, he is definitely EXTREMELY technically proficient, there's no doubt about that, but the music does very little for me.. I can only take so much of all-out shred, I tend to like more varied music with rhythm changes and things like that, so by the third minute of the vid I had enough..I mean even when there's a slow passage in his solo you just know that in about 2 seconds a totally shredding lick is about to follow, [kinda like Yngwie] now sometimes that works in the context of the song, but a lot of times, for me it just doesn't. This is only my OPINION, he is great at what he does for sure, it's just not my cup of tea.
Shy Boy

Prezidentman wrote:I tend to like more varied music with rhythm changes and things like that, so by the third minute of the vid I had enough.
Have you listened to R.C.'s solo album? I don't mean samples, or just a track, but really listened to it? That's what it took for me to get it. First I saw clips and heard an early version of one of his songs, and I didn't like it much. In fact, I remember stopping the song just a little ways in because I didn't like "shred" much.

Shortly thereafter I explored the genera more, and my musical tastes quickly developed to incorporate it. Don't get me wrong, a lot of "shred" IS mindless playing, with very poor songwriting, but so much of it isn't! Now when I was doing one of my "Guitars Suck" videos, I put in a video that was just wonderful to me, and that I thought was very melodic, and some people watched it and called it unmelodic shred! I'm not saying everyone will get it with repeat listening, but just giving certain music more of a chance can sometimes unlock doorways to unimaginable enjoyment.

If you want to hear some of Rusty's solo album for free, here's it is on Ron Bieber's new instrumental guitar podcast, Bieberlabs.
cioran

Shy Boy wrote:

I don't have a problem with good shred.
I like you fine, Shy Boy.
I will abide by your requests at the start of the thread.
Even when you speak of Rusty's complex music.
Even the one about Rusty and Coltrane.
I am in a state of perfect tranquility.
I am the Dalai Lama on downers.
All is peace.
Prezidentman

Shy Boy wrote: Have you listened to R.C.'s solo album? I don't mean samples, or just a track, but really listened to it?
I have not heard all the tracks, but most of them and there's only certain passages that I enjoy...I admire him as a guitar player, but as a composer, well...I just don't see anything in his compositions that would really set him apart from the thousands of other great shreders, apart from his great technique...I think Jason Becker did all of this and better on Perpetual Burn that came out almost 20years ago. Again my opinion.

I guess that I also tend to like more song oriented writing with great guitar work these days..such as Nuno Bettencourt's Dramagods..
prman

Wow, this is great! "Let me make selfrighteous proclaims and label other peoples musical tastes as unsophisticated. BUT please, don`reply `cos I might lose my nerve."