the hip hop and pop appreciation thread (open your minds)

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
sweeps

well i thought i would get my views out there and discuss this as ive seen many posts that flame these 2 musical styles so i thought id hav a rant about it. First off im not a HUGE fan of either style but music is music to me and i like some songs they have to offer so here i go......... anyone that says Britney spears or justin timberlake isnt "talented" is kidding themselves. they started singing and dancing since they were like 3 years old and worked there asses off to get where they are. i will say though that there image helps a LOT but honestly there shows arent about singing live but more about the effects and the dance routines and what not. this can be said about a lot of pop stars so fill in whoever. i just want yous to think about it when people say "steve vai sucks, its boring, its just guitar, wheres the words blah blah" and you think to yourself "people are so narrow minded" but i hear so many people into instrumental music, metal and what not looking down on people that like this style and bagging it out. it just shits me when im in my car with my mixed cd of vai,satch,yngwie,killswitch,trivium,story year,dr dre,dmx,veronicas,thrice,cranberries,pearl jam etc yeah you get the idea, i am garanteed to hear someone whinging about a style and using any of the stereotypes associated with these styles. on to the hip hop rap............i for one like 50 cent. i dont care if hes the biggest thing right now or that it doesnt have the "musical integrity of vai" or whatever you wanna call it. i like it it, pumps me up i like dancing to it. to say that rap is non talented is bullshit to me. some of the melodies and music is really intense behind the words. listen to diamond is forever by jay-z, awesome stuff. and some of the lyrics are so awesome. the whole eminem album marshal mathers lp. sure they dominate the charts and what not but thats the way it is. i like that i had to search to find vai, its more special that way. hope this makes sense....anyways ill leave it at that for now. bring on the flaming! :twisted:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

To a lot of us, me included, pop, rap & hip/hop sucks & it's totally insignificant to us, & to listen to that crap would invade on our precious listening hours. :mrgreen:

On a side note: My mind is very open to closing that crap out. :wink: :lol:

I feel alienated, I should've known this thread didn't even merit a response. :lol:
madhops

I feel pretty much the same way. I probably listen to rap more than anything else, just because I like heavy beats, but i can appreciate any kind of music. I listen to Vai, Satch, Country (yes you read that right), Rap, Rock, Metal, Classic Rock, Springsteen, Techno... etc. I'll even listen to classical. Anyone that is a professional in their field of work deserves my respect, even if I don't like their music. Dont hate because Im eclectic!!
madhops

[quote="sweeps". listen to diamond is forever by jay-z, :twisted:[/quote]

BTW I think thats Kanye West

Yeah, Jay-Z is the one that got up there & totally ruined Lennon & McCartney's Yesterday at the Grammy's. Not cool, not cool at all. :evil:
GuitarHero

madhops wrote: Anyone that is a professional in their field of work deserves my respect, even if I don't like their music.
Well said madhops.

"95% of rap & hip-hop sucks, & the other 5% I respect, but still don't like." - Quote from one of the guys from Therion after he found out about some rapper stealing his music. (Might not be the exact quote, but it's pretty close)

"Life's too short to listen to crap." - Me :mrgreen:
litlgrnman

I'm sure there's a lot of good hip-hop out there. I just don't have the time or patience to filter through the crap. I saw Jurassic 5 (at the '04 Rock The Vote tour with Dave Matthews, My Morning Jacket and Ben Harper) and they were great! I used to listen to some Ice T back in high school (Power, Rhyme Pays, Iceberg, OG) but now the references to mysogyny and violence disturb me. I'm not sure if the Beastie Boys fall in there or not but I do like them a lot. Basically, for me, music I'm interested in boil down to a couple of questions:

1. Is it creative and original?

2. Would I like to see it perfomed live?

If I can answer yes to those questions chances are I'll embace it. H-H music makes up a verrry small percentage of my music collection and the number of H-H shows I've seen I can count on one hand. What I hear on the radio once in a blue moon mostly amounts to a pile of annoying canned crap.

For what it's worth I don't find the music of Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake remotely creative or original. I would consider it punishment to have to sit through a live perfomance by either. They are good looking and marketable to the masses. That's why those two are where they are IMO.

But I do understand that music is kind of like food. People like or dislike certain ones for their own reasons. I've acually met people that don't like chocolate! Who gives a rats ass. Live and let live. If we all listened to the same music and ate the same food life would be borrrrring.
the_west_pig

I really like the way you set about this thread, that comment about how we tell people to open their minds is so true. Also i've seen a video of britney singing when she was like 9 or somehting on the Frank Skinner show and she was incredible, its the image thing that pisses me off, such a waste of talent.

Also: "some of the melodies and music is really intense behind the words"

Don't agree with. 9 out of 10 of these are either direct lifts from other songs or classical peices OR they are absolutely nothing to do with the artists and are completely the work of the producers. In general, i do not agree with the whole Hip-hop scene. The lyrics piss me off, the artists are idiots and the whole vibe is very negative. They are always some exceptions and every now and then you get something amazing like the classic "changes". First time i heard it i really really enjoyed that song, pure genius in every respect, and the guy got shot... Of all the bloody worthless rappers they had to shoot him? Go figure.
sweeps

ive got the jay-z album and diamond is forever is on there. my favourite rap tune. i will also add that you cant dance the way britney and justin do and sing live at the same time. if they both just standed there like pink (who i think is awesome btw) im sure theyd belt out some notes. saying that 95 percent of rap is shit is your opinion which is fair enough but for me about 50 percent of it is shit (with every style of music i also agree) youve just gotta go and discover more. listen to in da club and solo over it with f sharp phrygian.....sounds great (might be g sharp phrygian). here are some stereoypes for styles of music that i hear time and time again.......... "raps shit, cat fell on the mat and i woke up snorted crak, man any1 can do that" "i cant understand the words in metal can he actually even sing. die motherfucker die, yeah man greaaaat lyrics :roll: " pop stars dont even write there own songs, they dont sing them live, all they need is the word love in there and its a hit" "grunge singers just make there voice dirty and the guitarist plays a couple of chords and an out of tune solo" "jazz is too hard to listen to, they just make up anything and it sounds crap" "blues is soooo easy, write 12 bars blues some lyrics bout your women cheating on ya and your done" instrumental guitar is just a guitarist showing what he can do, theres no melody about it" obviously theres more "dance music just goes doooof dooof dooof" etc etc. heres a quote i got off my fellow musicians when i showed them the vai dvd....... "hes obviously good but like no offense, hes gay, look at all the faces he pulls and why does he need a fan to blow his hair back, all he does is play fast" (yes i wasnt happy with that last comment i got a little angry :x "vais a god!!!!!! you suck!" lol i would like to mention also that vai liked nsync
KillerArtist

I love how people say, "well rappers have no talent all they do is 'lift'(steal) others music and put words over it."

Sounds a lot like "they" are getting back at all those 'original' rockers that 'lifted' those riffs and songs from all those great blues players before them.

"we dont need any double standards, one standard will do just fine." -George Carlin

Just like any form of music. There's some I like and some that I don't, plain and simple.

Dead Prez is a great group of anti-"hip-hop stars". Great lyrics, very deep.
mxer

i listen to rap.

peep thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRkqicKStDQ

i listen to bluegrass too!

check this one yall!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_AgxH8C40o
Instrumentalrockrocks

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:"95% of rap & hip-hop sucks, & the other 5% I respect, but still don't like." - Quote from one of the guys from Therion after he found out about some rapper stealing his music. (Might not be the exact quote, but it's pretty close)

"Life's too short to listen to crap." - Me :mrgreen:
That could've been a quote for about 70% of the Vai forum people... :roll: :lol:

Shred On :guitar