JOHN COLTRANE

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
easycheese

I dont listen to too much jazz at all...but wow john coltrane is amazing. Iv definately heard the name and knew he played sax and was influential to alot of people but never really dove into his music. Well i did..and it blows me away
I am now a jazz fan :P

Anyone have opinions about him?
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

AWESOME, he's a legend. He was a very experimental player.

I know John's also on some Dizzy Gillespie & Miles Davis recordings. Cookin', Relaxin', Workin', Steamin', Kind of Blue, Milestones & Miles & Coltrane (which was originally Miles & Monk at Newport) with Davis for sure. Not really sure what Gillespie recordings he's on, but John's first solo on record was with Dizzy on the song, "We Love to Boogie."
litlgrnman

I took a History of American Jazz class that instroduced me to Coltrane. I too was blown away when I hear his stream of consciousness playing. I played sax back in the day so I know how hard it is and to hear him flowing and bending notes like that was amazing. Did he have a spare set of lungs or something?? My first purchase (and still my favorite Jazz offering) was Giant Steps. Can you imagine seeing him and some of the other greats light up Birdland in NYC??

This makes me thing of that part in Babushka when Steve is tuning up and the band starts meanding through a jazzy interlude till Steve calls out "Stop this instant that sounds like Jazz! I get the SOS" Cracks me up! :lol:
resha

I really love His playing, but it is still too difficult for me to listen more than a tune 2; my brain hurts tryin' to understand what's going on especially during solos... I wish in some years' time I'll be able to listen to more than a album in a row (as I do with Steve's stuff :) ) because that's so much to learn and to work on from Coltrane's work 8)
Shy Boy

My father once told me that Trane was such a technique master that plowing through saxophone music books could no longer satisfy him, so he starting practicing out of harp music (a 45+ stringed instrument).
SalamanderExcess

Hes incredible, especially his version of greensleeves, that sure does bring tears to my eyes!
easycheese

i really love his solos on 'milestones' and 'so what'
gives me the heeby jeebies :shock:
mxer

I dont play saxophone but i think he was one of the 1st to blow a note in the sax and hum a note in his throught.i forget what ist called but yeah!
NantucketSleighrider

Coltrane is a hero of mine, he was just inhuman! The stuff he could do with a sax! As far as albums go, I know everyone on here will jump at the chance to mention "Giant Steps", but I reccomend "The Gentle Side of", and "Traneing In". I love Trane playing soprano sax more than anything, and I am pretty sure that there is a video of him playing soprano with the late (also amazing) Eric Dolphy, who is playing alto, on the internet somewhere (possibly youtube), if anyone could locate it, I would be forever thankful!

Also, WATCH THIS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lifSd4RH ... and%20kirk
and if you like that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-Gd-bu ... and%20kirk
(it kicks in at about 1:30)
cioran

Sure, Giant Steps gets a lot of attention (deservedly so), but it's pretty much a tour de force of Coltrane trying to take bop to the penultimate level - or possibly abandoning it altogether. (As he did on the last albums.)
People who have the chops for it play it on whatever instrument they favor, but I quit about halfway, 'cos I thought it was pretty pointless on the guitar.

I freely admit to suffering from sax envy :) , having played with some really good people - even at intermediate levels the fluidity and range of expression is amazing - and with the really good players - whew!

I, with all my hightech gear and latest of everything, have found myself really struggling to avoid being upstaged by a sax player with (apart from all the skill) - esentially - an attitude. Most guitarists could never hope to come close to the sheer power a good sax player can unleash - it's like our shredding but with a hell of a lot more life in it. And when they go subtle, Clapton sounds coarse.

Coltrane was an amazing player, whether you want to go all school jazzer on his work or just enjoy it. I would be surprised if Steve didn't have a special place in his heart for the guy.
easycheese

LOL that guys sick nantucket..heres the entire video of miles and coltrane playing "so what" love the solos

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P4TbrgIdm0E& ... es%20davis

:shock: AWESOME!!! :shock:
cioran

Man, that is sheer class...
Both of them are really understating it - Miles used to be the master of that. He actually got slammed sometimes for not having proper chops, but I heard this recording from -49 where he was actually asked to shred, as he had been named third in some magazine poll along with Gillespie and Navarro; the three of them totally went for it, and he easily held his own, if that gives you some idea...

This is still an unfolding world for me, as I have the basics down but have still to find a proper voice in jazz. Maybe Coltrane isn't the ideal place to start for a fledgling... 8)

Can't get enough, though.
:twisted:
All the best.

It doesn't get much better than that. Definitely the SHIZNIT !!! I mean, if someone can't feel that, I wouldn't know what to to tell them, I'd be at a total Losfer Words! :wink: :guitar :headbang :peace
jemgirl

ahh john coltrane, wonderful!!!
the same thing with miles davies.awsome jazz-musicians.
or how about dizzy gillespie? or lionel hampton?
all great jazz fanatics.