Greatest music/guitar-related quotes!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
prman

Well, the topic says it all. Share your wisdom or jokes. I`ve read this one on some messageboard and it sums up it all up quite nicely:

"Shred is not music, it`s cool!"

... then one from Steve:

"Stop looking at your fingers and start listening what`s coming out of the amp!"
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

"Life is a song, and love is the music."
SalamanderExcess

Heres two sides of guitar i think are funny...

First we have Satch, and this is how how should think...
"Don't worry about how fast you play, worry about how well you're doing it."

And Yngwie...
"Unleash the f***ing FURY!!"
I ZoSo I

Spinaltap:
a. "My amps go to 11"
b. "Why not just make 10 louder?"
a. "These go to 11...."

Peter Townshend talking about the columbine tragedy:
"If some shit head with a guitar tells you to go shoot up a school and you actually go do it, then that person is a shit head themselves and would've done it anyway."
prman

That Spinal Tap quote is hilarious! I once saw a dude with a shirt that had Nigel Tufnel on it (with that absent look on his face) saying: "...but these go to 11!". I couldn`t stop laughing.
guyzif

"The fastest thing ive ever played? My wife."-Steve Vai.
Ant711UK

“I am but a turd in the punch bowl of guitar players!” – Steve Lukather

Tony
GuitarHero

"God gave the gift of artists to the world so that people can dream while they're awake" Steve Vai - Under It All
Yorksha_Pud

"Christ..! Where would rock n' roll be without feedback...!" - David Gilmour, Live in Pompeii dvd. :D
Big Bad Bill

Music is the space between the notes
SRVoodoo

"I think Dianna Ross is looking for a guitar player" Zappa to Steve during Steve's "audition".

:wink:
Real_Confusions

"Lyrics: wasted time between guitar solos."
if6was9

Pete Townsend when talking about the developpement of the first Marshall full stack !!!

"I wanted something louder so i couldn't hear the people in the first row saying that the band sucks " :lol:

And one from Hendrix ...

"Not necessarely stoned ... but beautifull "
miker

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -Decca Recording Company rejecting the Beatles, 1962

"It occurred to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." (When asked about his theory of relativity) - Albert Einstein

"There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

"I don't know anything about music, In my line you don't have to." -Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"... I think people overemphasize the importance of gear in their search for tone. Your sound comes from how you pick and dampen the strings, and from your attack as much as anything..." - Eric Johnson

"Little Wing is like one of these beautiful girls that come around sometimes ... you play your gig; it's the same thing as the olden days, and these beautiful girls come around.. you do actually fall in love with them because that's the only love you can have. It's not always the physical thing of "Oh, there's one over there ...", it's not one of those scenes. They actually tell you something. They release different things inside themselves ... "Little Wing" was a very sweet girl that came around that gave me her whole life and more if I wanted it ... " - Jimi Hendrix

"... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

"... Jeff Beck is my idol .. sometimes he finds notes that I just do not have on my guitar. Frank Zappa's another one .. I loved Frank Zappa ... I do think Van Halen reinvented the guitar ... he's an excellent musician, a shrewd guitarist and as a person he's wonderful..." - Ritchie Blackmore / Deep Purple / Rainbow

"I think I got the idea of tapping watching Jimmy Page do his "Heartbreaker" solo back in 1971. He was doing a pull-off to an open string, and I thought wait a minute, open string ... pull off. I can do that, but what if I use my finger as the nut and move it around ?" ... I just kind of took it and ran with it - Eddie Van Halen

"There's a basic rule which runs through all kinds of music, kind of an unwritten rule. I don't know what it is. But I've got it." -Ron Wood / Rolling Stones / Faces

"... I just didn't know what direction people want, you know music was going down a path, and I couldn't turn on a radio without being disgusted completely. And now it's just gotten to the point where I can't listen to anything, it's trashy. It's just a hundred channels of garbage all over. And not just here, it's in England as well. It's almost just like a global effort to knock the sense out of you if you're a musician (laughs). There's not any little morsel for musicians to latch on to. It's all glossy, lipstick s--t. More tits and bare midriffs. Unless you go to a blues club, or some outrageous, hip dive somewhere that nobody knows about until the night before, the pickings are slim for inspiration... I still listen to Django Reinhardt, his catalog. I'm just catching up with that after several years of not really listening to him proper. You know he's the greatest... it's the fear thing. ... but now I'm getting used to it... He (Django Reinhardt) was God. Just amazing" - Jeff Beck / Yardbirds / Jeff Beck Group

"...Everyone has their own sound, and if you're heard enough, folks will come to recognize it. Style however, is a different thing. Try to express your own ideas. It's much more difficult to do, but the rewards are there if you're good enough to pull it off ..." - Chet Atkins

"I got a standard box. I don't never want nothing special. Then if I drop my box, I can borrow somebody else's." - Wes Montgomery - Jazz Guitar (his "standard box" was the hollowbody Gibson L5-CES -cutaway electric Spanish)

"I don't even know if I can take credit for writing "Cliffs of Dover" ... it was just there for me one day ... literally wrote in five minutes ... kind of a gift from a higher place that all of us are eligible for. We just have to listen for it and be available to receive it" - Eric Johnson

"I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked" - Jimi Hendrix

"... I played 'Eruption' two times for the record, and we kept the one that seemed to flow ... there's a mistake at the top end of it whenever I hear it, I always think, Man I could've played it better ... but I like the way it sounds. I'd never heard a guitar sound like that before..." - Edward Van Halen

"Music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix

"All my concerts had no sounds in them; they were completely silent. People had to make up their own music in their minds! "-Yoko Ono

"For optimum amp tone onstage, plug your amp into your own AC outlet.." - Eric Johnson

"Musically, we're more talented than any Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney. Mick Jagger can't produce a sound. I'm the new Elvis." - Time Magazine quotes Milli Vanilli "singer" Rob Pilatus (2-27-1990)

"A lot of people are singing about how screwed up the world is, and I don't think that everybody wants to hear about that all the time. -Mariah Carey

"... there is still a very strong subculture of people who want to do great things on an instrument, and who are stimulated by hearing people who can. That's reassuring. But it's gonna take a person - and I don't know who this is - to come along and reinvent the guitar as a virtuosic instrument in a completely different realm than any of us have done, or anybody else in the past. That's the clincher. Maybe that will happen and maybe it won't ..." - Steve Vai

"... each artist attracts his own different set of fans. And G3 over the years has created it's own audience as well... they know it's something unusual and special that they're not going to get anywhere else ... young and old, both sexes, all come out. They all look at each other like, Wow, what are those people over there ? ... They're surprised at their own diversity..." - Joe (Sach) Satriani

"I think my fans will follow me into our combined old age. Real musicians and real fans stay together for a long, long time." - Bonnie Raitt

"... I'd have to say that "Mr. Crowley" in my most memorable solo... I had spent hours trying to figure out a solo for the song ... Ozzy came in and said "it's crap - everything you're playing is crap" .. he told me to get in there and just play how I felt. He made me really nervous, so I just played anything. When I came back to listen to it, he said it was great.." - Randy Rhoads / Ozzy Osbourne

"... you watch Jimi Hendrix literally reinvent the instrument. He was playing from somewhere else. He was really a kind of hybrid, and I can't even begin to imagine where he came from " - Steve Vai

"Jeff Beck is compelled by his inner artistic drive to keep evolving the instrument. He'll use the whammy bar with the volume knob and the tone control all at the same time - creating harmonics that no human being should be able to hit." - Steve Vai

"Music is a safe type of high. It's more the way it was supposed to be. That's where highness came, I guess, from anyway. It's nothing but rhythm and motion." - Jimi Hendrix

"...What it is, it's the remains of an old guitar. All the electrics and the neck are off a Sea Foam Green guitar called Richard, because Little Richard signed it. That's hanging in a safe place at home. But I didn't want to lose the sound. I've got a big split appearing in the back. I threw it in the air and missed it; it clattered on the floor. But the sound...you couldn't really put your finger on how it did it. I took all the guts out of it and put it on a new body and it just didn't sound the same. It's some freak thing, I don't know what it is. So whoever says that solid body guitars have no acoustic properties at all, or they think you can get the same tone if you use the same pickup - it's rubbish, because it just doesn't have the same quality, the character. .." - Jeff Beck / Yardbirds / Jeff Beck Group

"Music is the most important thing. I'm thinking of my future. There has to be something new, and I want to be part of it. I want to lead an orchestra with excellent musicians. I want to play music which draws pictures of the world and its space" - Jimi Hendrix

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." -John Lennon / Beatles

"... by far the most astonishing guitar player ever has got to be Django Reinhardt ... Django was quite superhuman, There's nothing normal about him as a person or a player ... and you can't forget Gene Vincent's guitarist Cliff Gallup ... he was my guiding light through my teenage years ... if you want to take a broader view, I think country guitarist Albert Lee is a gas ... there's also Paul Burlison, who played with Johnny Burnette ... people don't think of Les Paul as a rocker, but as far as I'm concerned he laid down the building blocks of rock and roll .. from a jazz perspective there's Charlie Christian, Thumbs Carlyle, Grant Green - they're all fabulous players... you can't forget Buddy Guy, I once saw him throw the guitar up in the air and catch it in the same chord ... Eddie Van Halen brought tapping to the forefront and I still think he was one of the tastiest players doing it ... George Harrisons got great intonation ... Eric Clapton is certainly the ambassador ... he's the guy everybody makes reference to, He's the household name for electric guitar, blues and rock and roll ... Erics got so much to offer, in addition to playing so well, he gives the world songs they can identify with ... " - Jeff Beck

"... whatever your standing in life, the most important thing is behaving in ways that help other people. It's the same with music. I am a servant of the music ... and if I get caught up in ego, I'll lose everything .. it'll burn and that's a guarantee ... " - Eric Clapton / Yardbirds / Cream / Blind Faith / Derek and the Dominoes
The Wolf

jees you pretty much summed it up... you got every single one I was gonna use lol