What if G3 poll......

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

What dead star would you wish would of been in the G3 tour?

Randy Rhoads
6%
Randy Rhoads
6%
Randy Rhoads
6%
Randy Rhoads
6%
Chet Atkins
No votes
Chet Atkins
No votes
Chet Atkins
No votes
Chet Atkins
No votes
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Other (State)
2%
Other (State)
2%
Other (State)
2%
Other (State)
2%

Total votes: 244
The Prez

BTW, http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3858 this is the big place where I have had my share of hendrix arguments. If you wanted to add you thoughts there.
The Prez

IMHO Voodoo Chile by SRV is the greatest cover of all time, it surpasses the orgional. Look at Dirty Pool, now that song is hard enough to pull off sounding clean, but while doing the vocals. He did this well in a live peroformence. Gifted is the only thing I can think off.
Tony S

adrian white wrote:I am not about to enter a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Do you even play guitar?If you do ,learn some jimi and i bet any begginer can play his stuff.Then if you have a spare couple of decades on your hands learn some vai.I bet you still wont be able to play it.This is why for the last 20 years or so Steve Vai has been "THE MAN".
As for saying nobody was impressed by the playing of Elvis or The Beatles .That is just proof you know nothing!As for Chuck Berry of course he was great .His main influence was Scotty Moore(who played guitar for the King).So is it just me or is everybody else sick of Tim Knox hanging it on everything anyone has to say?I thought we were all here to praise the true god of guitar"Steve Vai".
:Adrian White:
P.S. I will not entertain your stupidity with another reply!
Well this is the Steve Vai website, so I guess we are all here because we like/love or have some interest in Steve's music, yeah, but we don't all have to be here solely to praise him. That's why there's a variety of forums with hundreds of different threads !

Ok, so as Steve is "the true god of guitar", I guess you'll respect his opinions on other guitarists? Well read this then, that I found in one of the other threads somewhere;
http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/STEVEVA.IO0.html

And if you dismiss the opinions of the other top guitarists of Jimi's day, I think you'll find the vast majority of top guitarists of today, will have similar views on Jimi and his influence, and how good he was. Yep, we can concede that technically, he didn't match up to today's standards, but 'more technical' does not necessarily mean 'better' !
adrian white

RE:TONY S. I really don,t mean offence to you or anyone else but I am so sick of all this Jimi talk.Thanks for concedeing that technically Jimi isnt up to todays standards because thats what I,ve been saying all along.Cheers dude!
Tony S

Didn't sound like that was all you were saying Adrian. I believe you called him 'average' and 'a joke', and he was definitely neither of those things. I can't believe you can seriously say that. I just wonder how much Hendrix stuff you have actually heard !
adrian white

Tony S wrote:Didn't sound like that was all you were saying Adrian. I believe you called him 'average' and 'a joke', and he was definitely neither of those things. I can't believe you can seriously say that. I just wonder how much Hendrix stuff you have actually heard !
Ive heard plenty of Jimi and I havent heard any mindblowing talent.On the technical aspects of playing Jimi is average.The joke is that he was the best ever.I do like a "few"of Jimis songs you know,but when people say he was a genius or the best ever thats when I just have to laugh!
Tony S

Ok Adrian, so you're not his greatest fan, and that's perfectly fair enough. I just feel that the way you entered into this discussion was pretty disrespectful to a guy who was a great innovator and a huge influence on thousands of guitar players since his time, and is still cited as a big influence today. That simply cannot be denied. A person who pretty much revolutionised the way electric guitar was played, who was a tremendous songwriter, and could play sublime rhythm and lead, and harmony guitar parts, and come up with some incredible arrangements. He had more talent in his little finger than a great many 'stars' since. I also think he'll be remembered and his music will be played long after someone like Glen Tipton will have been forgotten ! :wink: And I don't mean that disrespectfully to Glen, cos Judas Priest were a great Heavy Metal band, but with all due respect - not in the same league !

I don't understand the obsession with 'technical aspects' either. You could have someone who is unbelievably technically superb, but if they haven't got 'feel' or taste, their music would sound nowhere near as good as someone who may not be that technical but knows how to make notes count and can put emotion into them.
adrian white

This JIMI THING is tearing us apart man.I vote we dont go there anymore and talk about the one thing we have in common!So....how about that amazing Steve vai.
Tony S

Yep, he's.... amazing !

Actually, we probably have more in common than just Steve Vai. For example, I really like Maiden's Total Eclipse too 8)
sonny sixshooter

Thanks for burying the hatchet guys. :)
Mutronboy

Mitch Miller
....he wasn't real good on guitar, but he could really get ya toes tappin'
adrian white

Mutronboy wrote:Mitch Miller
Spot on fellow Aussie.
adrian white

Mutronboy wrote:Mitch Miller
Spot on fellow Aussie.
schillogeno
Newcomer

eyebnez wrote:Frank Zappa.
I think so!
Satriani is the continuation of Hendrix.
Vai is the only one!
And Frank... tooooo!!!!
schillogeno
Newcomer

eyebnez wrote:Frank Zappa.
I think so!
Satriani is the continuation of Hendrix.
Vai is the only one!
And Frank... tooooo!!!!