What if G3 poll......

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

What dead star would you wish would of been in the G3 tour?

Randy Rhoads
6%
Randy Rhoads
6%
Randy Rhoads
6%
Randy Rhoads
6%
Chet Atkins
No votes
Chet Atkins
No votes
Chet Atkins
No votes
Chet Atkins
No votes
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Jaco Pastorius (Bass)
1%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Stevie Ray Vaughan
6%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Jimi Hendrix
9%
Other (State)
2%
Other (State)
2%
Other (State)
2%
Other (State)
2%

Total votes: 244
tim_knox

dude you just totally contradicted yourself. First you attack "Kurt" (yah its spelled that way) Cobain by acknowledging that he was probably the most "influential" of the nineties. But ohhh wait you said he was "average" while Vai on the other was coming up with all sorts of "tricks".

Well hate to break it to you man. I know it might ruin the cloud you place your every word on since you quote yourself :roll: but Hendrix was the "MAN" at "tricks" during that time!! Nobody was rolling over due to Presley's guitar playing or the Beatles for that matter. When Jimi came everyone's eyes opened to a guitar revolution. Chuck Berry in my opinion was writting better music than Presley, some of which Elvis covered. And many other artists at that time were coming up with all sorts of good music they just weren't as much of a commercial cash cow as Elvis and The Beatles were.

Steve Vai has invented more tricks in every song he has ever written than jimi did in his whole career. :Adrian White:
dude you cant even compare the two artists. Two totally different times. Many people were doing the same tricks that Vai was at his time. Jimi was a revolutionizer. And Vai would ( and i hope he does ) tell you that HE, Vai himself is amazed at everything Jimi did.
lets keep in mind the insane drugs they were on!
HAHA thats funny cuz yah the nineties was definitly the first time rock stars used drugs??? :shock: riiiiiight
adrian white

I am not about to enter a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Do you even play guitar?If you do ,learn some jimi and i bet any begginer can play his stuff.Then if you have a spare couple of decades on your hands learn some vai.I bet you still wont be able to play it.This is why for the last 20 years or so Steve Vai has been "THE MAN".
As for saying nobody was impressed by the playing of Elvis or The Beatles .That is just proof you know nothing!As for Chuck Berry of course he was great .His main influence was Scotty Moore(who played guitar for the King).So is it just me or is everybody else sick of Tim Knox hanging it on everything anyone has to say?I thought we were all here to praise the true god of guitar"Steve Vai".
:Adrian White:
P.S. I will not entertain your stupidity with another reply!
sonny sixshooter

Hey, you defend Vai, he defends Jimi. No real difference there, except for the way it's being done.
And Jimi was cool!

- Sonny
tim_knox

I am not about to enter a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Do you even play guitar?If you do ,learn some jimi and i bet any begginer can play his stuff.Then if you have a spare couple of decades on your hands learn some vai.I bet you still wont be able to play it.This is why for the last 20 years or so Steve Vai has been "THE MAN".
As for saying nobody was impressed by the playing of Elvis or The Beatles .That is just proof you know nothing!As for Chuck Berry of course he was great .His main influence was Scotty Moore(who played guitar for the King).So is it just me or is everybody else sick of Tim Knox hanging it on everything anyone has to say?I thought we were all here to praise the true god of guitar"Steve Vai".
:Adrian White:
P.S. I will not entertain your stupidity with another reply!
wow you're out of control man!! I just say my opinions on topics I dont attack people personally. But great talking with yah :D
George Lynch
Newcomer

I can't choose between Rhoads and Vaughan. I'd probably choose Rhoads in the end.
adrian white

sonny sixshooter wrote:Hey, you defend Vai, he defends Jimi. No real difference there, except for the way it's being done.
And Jimi was cool!

- Sonny
This guy is cool! Thats how you state an opinion without attacking other peoples opinions.I probably should have made it clear in my first letter that when I compare guitarists I compare their technical abilities.It has nothing to do with personal taste.My own personal taste would make Chuck Schuldheiner the greatest guitarist ever but technically Vai would have to be a few grades ahead .Therefore I would never claim Chuck is a better guitarist.Does anyone know of a more advanced guitarist than Vai because I would love to see that.
Psychlone

I really am loath to indulge in personal attacks, but Adrian White, you are a fool. I know it feels good to bash a universally lauded icon (ie the Boy from Seattle), but your arguments are pretty much laughable. Was Jimi an unschooled and intuitive player? Yes. Is Steve Vai more precise? No question. Is Steve a better guitar player than Jimi? This could be argued. But did Steve create "Electric Ladyland"? Nope. All things considered, Jimi's musicianship is beyond reproach. And yeah, maybe you can play his stuff ( :roll: ), but try singing at the same time. Not even Steve can play and sing simultaneously as well as Jimi.

Give me your best rebuttal. If this is a battle of wits, my brain shoots straighter than yours, tenderfoot.
Psychlone

Oh, and cast my vote for Keith Richards. He's dead enough to qualify for this poll.
adrian white

Psychlone wrote:I really am loath to indulge in personal attacks, but Adrian White, you are a fool. I know it feels good to bash a universally lauded icon (ie the Boy from Seattle), but your arguments are pretty much laughable. Was Jimi an unschooled and intuitive player? Yes. Is Steve Vai more precise? No question. Is Steve a better guitar player than Jimi? This could be argued. But did Steve create "Electric Ladyland"? Nope. All things considered, Jimi's musicianship is beyond reproach. And yeah, maybe you can plaay his stuff ( :roll: ), but try singing at the same time. Not even Steve can play and sing simultaneously as well as Jimi.

Give me your best rebuttal. If this is a battle of wits, my brain shoots straighter than yours, tenderfoot.
Within a few months of playing guitar I could sing & play a few Jimi songs.Thats what learners begin on these days.He,s no Dave Mustaine you know!Let go of the past man.Evolve with the rest of us.
By the way Vai plays&sings way trickier stuff than Jimi.Anyway thanks for saying Vai is a better player cause thats what I was saying all along.
Personal taste has nothing to do with it.
sonny sixshooter

Psychlone wrote:Oh, and cast my vote for Keith Richards. He's dead enough to qualify for this poll.
Hahaha yeah! And here's one guitar player who is not thje best technically, but I still love the Stones!
adrian white wrote:Personal taste has nothing to do with it.
I'll have to disagree with you. I don't care about speed or tricks. That's a cool thing to be able to do, but to me taste is everything. If I like it, Im going to buy it.
adrian white

sonny sixshooter wrote:
Psychlone wrote:Oh, and cast my vote for Keith Richards. He's dead enough to qualify for this poll.
Hahaha yeah! And here's one guitar player who is not thje best technically, but I still love the Stones!
adrian white wrote:Personal taste has nothing to do with it.
I'll have to disagree with you. I don't care about speed or tricks. That's a cool thing to be able to do, but to me taste is everything. If I like it, Im going to buy it.
I prefere Jonny Rottens voice over Pavaroties.Does that mean Jonny is the better singer?Of course not.He,s a very very average singer but a lot of people happen to like it.Personal taste makes Jimi popular just as it did for Jonny but the fact remains that they are both basic musos.All music is gradeable depending on how difficult it is to do.I enjoy simple stuff too!
Bono

Definatley Hendrix, as they usually play some of his songs.
The Prez

Psychlone wrote:I really am loath to indulge in personal attacks, but Adrian White, you are a fool. I know it feels good to bash a universally lauded icon (ie the Boy from Seattle), but your arguments are pretty much laughable. Was Jimi an unschooled and intuitive player? Yes. Is Steve Vai more precise? No question. Is Steve a better guitar player than Jimi? This could be argued. But did Steve create "Electric Ladyland"? Nope. All things considered, Jimi's musicianship is beyond reproach. And yeah, maybe you can play his stuff ( :roll: ), but try singing at the same time. Not even Steve can play and sing simultaneously as well as Jimi.

You think that's impressive, look at what SRV sang and played at the same time, with soul! SRV definally got my vote, probably the greatest blues guitarist ever.
adrian white

Re;the prez
Good call man .SRV was a madman many many many grades above Jimi and his voice was actually good too!My head nearly explodes just trying to picture how he pulled off "Couldn,t stand the weather"Mabye he just had two brains!
The Prez

IMHO Voodoo Chile by SRV is the greatest cover of all time, it surpasses the orgional. Look at Dirty Pool, now that song is hard enough to pull off sounding clean, but while doing the vocals. He did this well in a live peroformence. Gifted is the only thing I can think off.