David Gilmour - On An Island

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
IbanezGuitarist

I love the album, Im listening to it right now.
NoAngel

IbanezGuitarist wrote:I love the album, Im listening to it right now.
Do go and have a look at the video on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/davidgilmour/ - it's well worth it. Audio or video - take your pick! It's there until next weekend
Yorksha_Pud

I'm SO pleased this album has gone to No.1!! Lets hope it stays there for a while...

The reviews for the 2 shows he played so far sound great. I wont give the whole setlist away in case any of you going to later shows dont want to know, but i will just say......he plays Echoes!!!!! Whoo Hoooo!! My fave Floyd song ever! And its the full 20 minute version that he plays as well! It will be awesome seeing Dave and Rick harmonise on this song after all these years.

I can't wait til May 31st!
shacks

UK fans who have BBCi, press the red button and watch part of his Radio 2 show, he plays "On An Island", "Comfortably Numb" and "Shine On...'!!

Just bought "OAI" today, just off to give it a spin...

shacks
jemgirl

i`m gonna order the album now!!!

btw,
pink floyd is gonna do a three hour concert later this year in holland.
at the arrow-rock festival.
i`ll be there , thats for sure!!
patricia
treeduck

TheLordofcheesecake sent me about 5 new Dave songs on MSN messenger and I'm listening to them right now. The guitar solos are stunning!! What a beautiful strat tone Dave still has!! The songs are very mellow, very Floyd. Dave's voice sounds lighter, he almost sounds younger here than he did 20 years ago.

Cheesey has been urging me to get this one but I'll have to see. One song is an instrumental with Dave playing a tenor sax. I like the rockabilly/surf guitar styled Take a Breath and certainly the title track is a great one, the album might be worth getting purely for this one track... It's pretty cheap too £8.95 (including packing at play.com)...

I think I need a bit more persuading yet I'll listen to these Dave songs a little while longer...

EDIT: Ok "The Heaven" is cool too, nice hammond organ there and sweet orchestrations and of course lovely guitar playing from Dave, he's a strat tone master there's no doubt, 2nd only to Mike Landau in the strat tone stakes hmmmm...

Alright I'm convinced dammit, one David Gilmour album coming up...

At 8.95 I can't really turn my nose up can I? :P :D
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

We've been telling you it's great!!! :mrgreen: :peace

"Life is a song, and love is the music."
NoAngel

treeduck wrote:Alright I'm convinced dammit, one David Gilmour album coming up...

You can help keep the album at No 1 for another week! It's almost worth it just for the packaging - like a hardback book :lol:

As we've said before, you can listen to most of it live on the beeb!

jemgirl, I've just had a look at the Arrow website, looks like just Roger Waters, rather than Floyd.

Yorksha_Pud - see you there?
Yorksha_Pud

NoAngel wrote:
treeduck wrote:Alright I'm convinced dammit, one David Gilmour album coming up...

You can help keep the album at No 1 for another week! It's almost worth it just for the packaging - like a hardback book :lol:

As we've said before, you can listen to most of it live on the beeb!

jemgirl, I've just had a look at the Arrow website, looks like just Roger Waters, rather than Floyd.

Yorksha_Pud - see you there?
Yeah, Rogers doing a whole loada concerts this Summer, including July 1st at Hyde Park, for the Calling Festival (The Who are headlining on the 2nd). Hes going to be performing the whole of Dark Side Of The Moon, with Nick Mason on drums. I know it would be pretty awesome seeing the creative genius of the Floyd perfmorming DSOTM, but for me it just wouldn't be the same hearing those songs without David's voice and guitar. Plus, these days, Roger's voice doesn't seem that good anymore, well, it didn't at Live 8. I dunno, I might go, but for me, it's all bout Gilmour at the RAH in May. What do you guys think of this whole Roger Waters thing? IMO, I think he should only do a tour like this if they had a Floyd reunion...
seashell

I'm buying it today :D
guyzif

I agree i think he should do a tour only if they all got back together. I know my best mate would wet himself if that happened.

I havn't heard anything from this album yet, i'l seriously have to check it out!