David Gilmour - On An Island

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Yorksha_Pud

Has anyone bought this yet? It came out in the UK today. (which is also his birthday) :D I'm a HUGE Floyd fan, and an even bigger Gilmour fan, so the last few months have been a huge countdown to this day!

This album is amazing. It has some absolutley beautiful songs, the title track, and 'The Blue' are two of the most gorgeous songs I've ever heard. I could listen to his voice all day, its simply mesmerising. Then theres his guitar work which is stunning as usual. Nobody can put so much emotion and feeling into a solos like he does.

The album is wonderfully produced by David himself and Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), and has some great guest appearances such as Jools Holland, Richard Wright, his wife Polly, David Crosby, Graham Nash, and more.

To be able to make such beautiful at his age is so admirable, and if this is his last ever piece of recording, then he couldn't have done it with a better album. GO BUY IT!

I managed to win tickets to the BBC Radio 2 concert tomorow (Tuesday) night, for competition winners only, at the Mermaid Theatre, thanks to http://www.davidgilmour.com , so I'm the most exited man in the world at the moment! Whooo hooooo!

If you have heard this album, please say what you think of it!

Dave :lol:
Big Bad Bill

It's definitely on my list of CD to buy this month. I heard him playing some tracks on Jonathan Ross last Saturday and it sounded very pretty when played acoustically.
hewhoshreds

When the hell did all this come about!? I never heard about this, argh! I'll buy it as soon as I get out of here today, all I've been listening to is Pink Floyd recently too. The one week I'm not in, Dave Gilmour comes on Jonathan Woss...
hewhoshreds

Holy good crap those samples are good.
NoAngel

Am listening to Jonathon with David as I type this, missed Saturday's show.

Got the CD yesterday, agree with Yorksha_Pud. Some interesting new stuff and some very 'comfortable' Floyd style tracks.

Congrats Yorksha_Pud on winning tickets. We have tickets to see Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall, again thanks to davidgilmour.com running a pre ticket sales competition. Can't wait :D
dreamer

As a realy huge Floyd admirer for years I' m not objective at times, but this time it's not the case - CD is just amazing, colorfull,emotional... there are a lot of good stuff in it!!!!!!! You all who haven't got it yet, go for it!!!! It's just awesome :D
treeduck

Big Bad Bill wrote:It's definitely on my list of CD to buy this month. I heard him playing some tracks on Jonathan Ross last Saturday and it sounded very pretty when played acoustically.
Is David not a bit too bluesey for you BBB?

:P
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

This cd is excellent, I also highly recommend it.

"Life is a song, and love is the music."
treeduck

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:This cd is excellent, I also highly recommend it.

Well I'm thinking about getting this but I've got a feeling it might be too mellow for me. I got About Face when it came out and that was pretty good...

Yes, it is quite mellow, no doubt, but it's mellow in a beautiful kinda way & you just might be in the mood for this kinda stuff sometimes. This is great stuff & this cd is just one of many reasons why I listen to the music that I do.

Yorksha_Pud

Wow, the concert last night was AMAZING! :shock: :lol: When Radio 2 dj Bob Harris introduced David, I just went totally crazy with joy. I was 6 rows from the front, in such an intimate venue (Mermaid Theatre, 600 capacity), so close to my hero! The new material sounded so good live, and he has put together an amazing band. Phil Manzanera on guitar, Guy Pratt on bass, Steve DiStanislao on drums, and Rick Wright and Jon Carin on keyboards. He played his black strat, the one he played at Live 8, and it sounded stunningly beautiful as usual, as well as his voice (could listen to it all day!). He started with the new stuff - Castellorizon, On An Island, The Blue, Take A Breath, Smile, and This Heaven. Then he moved on to the 'golden oldies' :D I really didn't think they would play Shine On You Crazy Diamond, what a treat! Then it was High Hopes, and Wearing The Inside Out from the last Floyd album The Division Bell, sang by Rick, another rare treat. He finished with Comfortably Numb which was spectacular as you would expect. As an added bonus, because it was for radio, they decided to play On an Island and The Blue again because David stated that the first time they were a bit 'nervy'! I have to say the sound and lighting was absolutley stunning. All in all it was a great concert, never again will I see my hero in such a small intimate venue. I'll never forget this...

Also, Polly (David's wife), and a few of David's children sat a few rows behind me, and at the end she very kindly signed my On An Island album!

If you wanna hear this amazing concert, tune into BBC Radio 2 on Saturday 11th March at 8:30. They're also showing highlights on BBC interactive at 9:30.
Last edited by Yorksha_Pud on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus Eater

This album is terrific!
I am a HUGE Gilmour fan, and it has been well worth the wait!
It's nice to hear what Dave has going through his head these days.
And oh how I've missed the sound of a Strat through a Hiwatt.
NoAngel

Yorksha_Pud that sounds an amazing experience. Can't wait for the Royal Albert Hall. Don't know where we are sitting yet - tickets are not being sent out until about a month before, for security reasons. They have been clamping down on sales through eBay.

The way it looks right now, I'm not gonna be able to see this tour, BUMMER. :(
NoAngel

You can listen or watch the BBC concert on http://www.bbc.co.uk listen again feature. On An Island is number 1 in the Album charts!