Question about music schools in UK.

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Jem-7vwh-agg

This fall i am thinking to go for 2-3 years in UK for guitar lessons and a diploma/degree.

i am between GI(Guitar institute) and ACM(Academy of contempory music).
i've heard good things for both of them.

What do you guys think? is there another one i should think about?
(europe only)

thanx.

-Stelios
Bono

I'm at the Academy of Music and Sound (In Birmingham), which is run by a guy called Shaun Baxter. It was only set up in 2004 (I was one of 20 or 30 students who were the very first students there) but it is growing - Shaun Baxter is head of guitar studies, and he used to run Guitar Institute but has since left - apparantly after leaving, they have lost the degree program and he is currently writing a degree course, looking to start in september 2007. While I can't really suggest which one to go to, I wouldn't recommend Guitar Institute, not until everything gets sorted out. One of my tutors went there and said that it's way over priced for the facilities they have.

Having said that, I know people who went there and found it great, but since Baxter has left, I would try looking elsewhere.

I seem to remember Lydian7 (a member on this forum) saying he went to Guitar Institute when Baxter was still there - maybe you could ask him?
Jem-7vwh-agg

thanx... i will
Juice777

Don't rule out BIMM or Guildhall. Both are excellent schools with great guitar faculties and access to all the best players (Guthrie Govan teaches at BIMM). I've heard good things about ACM as well, but not much about GI so sorry I can't help you there.
Shredlix

Just be aware that you'll be paying a lot of money for stuff which you can teach yourself, fact. If you can take grade 8 and the HND exams, you should only have to do 1 year of study to attain a degree, in most institutions.
amokalex

I can`t say this from my own experience, but more through the Grape Vine!

I heard that there are some kickass schools in Graz/Austria! as well as Leipzig and Hannover/Germany!

fact is that Mozart came from Austria! :wink:

Even schools in Russia are supposed to be pretty Awesome!

amokout!
Ant711UK

Teach yourself, I did!

The bass player in my current band graduated from Bimm, The drummer I had a year ago graduated from Bimm and the guitarist I share the stage with in a rock musical Graduated from Bimm. All of them said that they enjoyed the experience but told me that it wasn't what they thought it would be.

My personal view having played with them all is that they are all naturally talented people with drive and ambition and would have found ways of learning what they needed to know elsewhere if they didn't go to a music school.

Tony
Geetar Beest
Newcomer

Don't waste your time. You won't learn anything that you can't get from a good teacher and a lot of hard work. It's cheaper too.
Shredlix

Exactly. but if you're a rich kid, and mommy and daddy are going to pay your college fees, you go right ahead, if not, don't bother.
Bono

I remember reading an interview with Paul Gilbert, who went to a guitar school in America (I'm not sure which one, but I don't think it was Berkley) and he said that all he learnt was the names of modes and scales of the things he could already play. If you think you know a lot already it might not be for you.
lydian7

Bono wrote: I seem to remember Lydian7 (a member on this forum) saying he went to Guitar Institute when Baxter was still there - maybe you could ask him?
When I was there back in 2000, I was being taught by Shaun Baxter, I even got hold of a copy of his jazz-fusion cd. Baxter's an amazing guitarist, one of the most technically advanced I've seen, but be warned he has one hell of an ego!! Alot of foreign students would approach him after a lesson to clear up a few questions they had, and he would simply turn them away saying that he wasn't paid to give advice after the lesson ends!? He also used to walk around the dimly-lit building with shades on...you get the picture. :roll:

The Guitar Institute I would say has a much more prestigious reputation than ACM, and you'll find that it'll probably open more avenues for you when you finish your studies there (they always give their students the contacts they need to get on in the music business).

I had no idea Shaun had left though, but there are alot of other competant musicians and teachers there. The keyboardist teacher (can't remember his name now) even played keys on Ozzy Osbourne's Diary of a Madman album.

I think I just missed the era when Dave Weiner was attending the GI. There's alot of famous students that have progressed from the GI, including Jeff Buckley, so it's definately worth checking out. There are positives and negatives of all colleges, obviously, so I'd organise a visit of each place so that you can get a feel for which Institute suits your needs.

As for the GI's equipment, they work in conjuction with the Thames Valley University in Ealing (GI is in Acton), so whatever equipment is lacking from the GI (i.e. computers), you can use at Thames Valley.

Hope this helps Jem-7vwm-agg, and if you have any specific questions you want to ask me just PM me. All the best for the future mate. :)