Zakk Wylde?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
goodm0urning

Reaper wrote:That, and the fact that he's got a very marketable image...
That may be part of it. Certainly not a large part, though, since there are plenty of tough-guy metal guitarists to go 'round.
The Prez

goodm0urning wrote:
Reaper wrote:That, and the fact that he's got a very marketable image...
That may be part of it. Certainly not a large part, though, since there are plenty of tough-guy metal guitarists to go 'round.

Right place right time, honestly, if he was never with OZ, he would never of been as big as he is. (Of course, everyone knows that)
Blue_Powder

Zakk's probably one of the most distinctive and unique players on the scene right now. His sound and playing are only second to his work ethic and ability to market himself as a total package. I have an utter respect for Zakk and all of these qualities; there's alot that can be learned from him.

With that said I really can't stand his playing for any real amount of time. After about one Ozzy song and a solo and my ears are done with it. I picked up "1919 Eternal" and tried like hell to like it. Man, that CD just alienated anyone within earshot and reinforced my "listen before you buy" demeanor.

As stated....total respect for the guy for alot of aspects.

But man....I just cannot listen to his playing for any length of time.
goodm0urning

The Prez wrote:Right place right time, honestly, if he was never with OZ, he would never of been as big as he is. (Of course, everyone knows that)
He's said that many a time himself, which is one trait about him that's definitely good--he's humble. He's said that he'd probably be pumping gas or something if it wasn't for Ozzy.
The Prez

goodm0urning wrote:
The Prez wrote:Right place right time, honestly, if he was never with OZ, he would never of been as big as he is. (Of course, everyone knows that)
He's said that many a time himself, which is one trait about him that's definitely good--he's humble. He's said that he'd probably be pumping gas or something if it wasn't for Ozzy.

True, but if it wasn't for Zappa and Roth, where would Vai be? That's the better question, there's nothing wrong with that. Vai himself would admit that.
Willin

This, my friends, is why Zakk is so popular:

The guy is a hardcore, beer guzzling bad-ass who can rip on guitar. He's a real interesting personality. Not to mention that he has some awesome looking guitars!

http://www.brooksguitarworld.com/artists/zakk4.jpg

(A replica of one of my favorite Wylde guitars):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting
goodm0urning

The Prez wrote:True, but if it wasn't for Zappa and Roth, where would Vai be? That's the better question, there's nothing wrong with that. Vai himself would admit that.
I like how some of my favorite musicians came from humble beginnings--"he used to be that dude who played for so-and-so" or whatever. They tend not to forget where they came from.
Reaper

goodm0urning wrote:
actually, he'd probably dealing crack, but the point stands...
guyzif

i like his playing alot, ive got all ozzys albums, all the BLS albums, as ive got more into vai and satch ive listened to him less. i still think he's great, hes got a kick ass image and is not affraid to let people know when he thinks things arnt right. long may he keep the guitar solo alive in mainstream metal! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The Prez

In my opinion, Steve Morse should of got MVP, he's the only true virtuosis, i mean, he has so many styles, and he can play them excelllently! Not even Vai can do it as well in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Wylde is a virtuosis in my opinion in the metal genre.
The Prez

Ironically, I find his BLS stuff better than the stuff with Oz, more artistic freedom and less stress, if he screws up, it'a juat on him, not OZ. Check out 1919 Eternal and you'll see what I mean.
goodm0urning

The Prez wrote:Ironically, I find his BLS stuff better than the stuff with Oz, more artistic freedom and less stress, if he screws up, it'a juat on him, not OZ. Check out 1919 Eternal and you'll see what I mean.
1919 Eternal is actually made up of a bunch of riffs that Zakk was planning to bring in for Ozzy. However, at that time, most of the album (Down To Earth) had already been written, so Zakk put them on the next B.L.S. record. That accounts for why 1919 Eternal sounds more like classic metal than the previous two albums, which were a lot harder.

Of all four of B.L.S.'s studio albums, the first one is still my favorite. It sounds like Zakk was sitting on those riffs for a long time, and when he finally got the chance to record them, it was like opening a floodgate. It's really intense.
swtwc
Newcomer

I really (opinion) liked his Book of shadows cd. Shows he dpoesn't only know how to headbang. Realy reached out on that album, which made me a bigger fan than I already was.
*metalli-fanatic*

i don't know exactly what to say but ill jsu say that zakk is a great guitarist! i heard him play a acoustic guitar solo and it was fucking amazing