Zakk Wylde?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
The Prez

Zakk Wylde?

#1 Post by The Prez » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:21 am

I think some of his stuff with Oz is good, but did he really deserve the MVP by Guitar Magazine? Him and Dimebag are the 2 most valuable right now, but in my opinion I think there are a lot of underrated guitarists. I've heard about a 1000 guitarists who could do what Zakk does, now his stuff with oz and some of his stuff with BLS is ok, but I would never consiter him a virtuoso.

shader

#2 Post by shader » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:31 am

I agree.

(now prepare for death threats from the zakk wylde fanboys in here :lol:)

jmchambers5

#3 Post by jmchambers5 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:03 am

i dont know about mvp or anything, but i can't get enough of Zack's chicken pickin heavy metal style.

playnoevil777

#4 Post by playnoevil777 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:54 pm

I know a lot of ppl are gonna' heavily dissagree with me,but I find a lot of similarities in Zakk and Steve's soloing style.basically they both do fairly fast burts of speed with a wah.Especially listen to FTLOG,and then Gets me through,their solos have very similar feels to them.As fr Zakk being mvp,I think he diserves it,do to the fact that guitar world only covers mainstream stuff anymore,and Zakk is pretty much the best mainstream guitarist.Plus speedball is like spanish fly for a new generation of guitarists :D .The thing yoyu should be questioning is how the hell mike mushok(staind)beat out Zakk for best metal guitarist :shock: .Oh and speaking of Zakk and Steve having similar styles,listen to the riff on bad horsiethen the riff on no more tears. 8)

Gabe Nickelson

#5 Post by Gabe Nickelson » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:50 pm

Zakk rocks. But I hate these magazine that try to rate these guitarists. SO what, you like what you like so just stop posting who they think is better and post more news about musicans and article.s Don't waste the space with people they choose mainly because it's about the personal relationship the magazine has with the artist.

Gabe

jmchambers5

#6 Post by jmchambers5 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:16 pm

oh yea, by the way, i hate guitar magazines. I used to buy them when they had tabs i wanted, but now my ear has developed, and if i want to learn something, I'll take the time to figure it out. The reviews are completely skewed, you can't trust anything you read in them, they're just one step above those reviews in musicians friend. every now and then i'll buy one if there's a great big article on an artist i like, but even then the interviews tend to suck and ask stupid questions like "who influenced you" and stuff that has been asked in every single interview ever printed in a guitar magazine, so you dont get any more insight into the artist than you had before. well anyways, that was a completely random tangent i just got off on, umm....yea...
jay

TornadoOfSouls
Newcomer

#7 Post by TornadoOfSouls » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:57 pm

I'm a fan of Zakk's and I think he deserves every ounce of credit he gets.

bob mac

#8 Post by bob mac » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:15 am

Gabe Nickelson wrote:Zakk rocks. But I hate these magazine that try to rate these guitarists. SO what, you like what you like so just stop posting who they think is better and post more news about musicans and article.s Don't waste the space with people they choose mainly because it's about the personal relationship the magazine has with the artist.

Gabe
I here ya Gabe........

ChickenScratch

#9 Post by ChickenScratch » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:18 am

At least a real guitar player got the damn award or whatever it is.

In any case Zakk rocks, the man's on monster player, vicious picker and got tons of attitude and that's cool.

goodm0urning

Re: Zakk Wylde?

#10 Post by goodm0urning » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:05 pm

The Prez wrote:I think some of his stuff with Oz is good, but did he really deserve the MVP by Guitar Magazine? Him and Dimebag are the 2 most valuable right now, but in my opinion I think there are a lot of underrated guitarists. I've heard about a 1000 guitarists who could do what Zakk does, now his stuff with oz and some of his stuff with BLS is ok, but I would never consiter him a virtuoso.
There may be others who are technically as good as Zakk, but he's worked damn hard all his life to keep the art of the solo in the spotlight. Other metal dudes have a small cult following, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, Zakk and Dimebag are the last men standing. Which I think makes them fully-deserving of their recognition.

And by the way, what does being Guitar World's MVP have anything to do with being a virtuoso? If Mike Mushok and the Slipknot guys got on the list, you should probably get an inkling that it's not entirely based on technical skill.

Reaper

#11 Post by Reaper » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:48 pm

I like him. He stands out as a good guitarist, yet can succeed in an area where most good guitarists don't. I think it's a nice change to see someone on MTV who can actually play.

The Prez

#12 Post by The Prez » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:03 am

Reaper wrote:I like him. He stands out as a good guitarist, yet can succeed in an area where most good guitarists don't. I think it's a nice change to see someone on MTV who can actually play.

I wonder why him though? Out of every guitarist in the world, why him? He's good, but I don't see why his stuff is more mainstreem than some other guitarits.

goodm0urning

#13 Post by goodm0urning » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:27 pm

The Prez wrote:I wonder why him though? Out of every guitarist in the world, why him? He's good, but I don't see why his stuff is more mainstreem than some other guitarits.
I think it might be because he's already put in a lot of time on the clock, and earned his stripes with Ozzy (whose band is pretty much a stomping ground for excellent guitarists). He'd already built up considerable clout with one of the most popular metal singers of all time by the time he stepped out on his own, and I think that's why a lot of people view him as the torch bearer for heavy metal today.

Not to mention, he's quite a personality. Sort of like your best bud and the most dangerous guy in the world at the same time.

Reaper

#14 Post by Reaper » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:39 am

goodm0urning wrote:
The Prez wrote:I wonder why him though? Out of every guitarist in the world, why him? He's good, but I don't see why his stuff is more mainstreem than some other guitarits.
I think it might be because he's already put in a lot of time on the clock, and earned his stripes with Ozzy (whose band is pretty much a stomping ground for excellent guitarists). He'd already built up considerable clout with one of the most popular metal singers of all time by the time he stepped out on his own, and I think that's why a lot of people view him as the torch bearer for heavy metal today.

Not to mention, he's quite a personality. Sort of like your best bud and the most dangerous guy in the world at the same time.
That, and the fact that he's got a very marketable image...

The Prez

#15 Post by The Prez » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:19 am

That seems unfair to many guitarists out there, I'm nevber into the more personallity bands.