Concert plans

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
guyzif

Shy Boy wrote:TOMORROW NIGHT: Allan Holdsworth!

Then Buckethead in early March, followed by Satriani in late April (I'm getting special tickets for Satch).
You guys get all the best ones! :cry:
Guitarmiester

Where is Allen playing?! I want to get the platinum tickets for one of the Satch shows, too, but not sure if I'll have the extra money for it. Satch just added up a podcast on his site, you can preview the first 30 seconds of the song 'Super Colossal', there is both audio and video. Check it out if you don't know about it yet. Very cool sounding song, he used a POG to add an octave below and above, gave him a big sound, very cool. I can't wait to check out how his latest CD will be.
sonny sixshooter

Guitarmiester wrote:sonny sixshooter - Thanks for the reply. I've heard a few things by Opeth, not enough though (yet). But, I'm going to NY next week and saw Opeth will be playing in NY one day next week, if I'm there that same day I'll check them out. Then, I'll be back to NY to see Dream Theater April 1st! Then...not done yet, Satch will be in NY. I was going to see him in PA, but NY is alittle closer. Any recommendations for Opeth albums to get? I'll probably pick up the DVD if I come across it, but I know I'll find their CD's before the DVD.
Sounds like you have your time manager full! Have fun!

About Opeth: Imagine a heavy Dream Theater. Their music is definately progressive, and has a touch of death metalæ to it. They range very far.

Buy Blackwater Park (my personal favourite) or try out Damnation and Deliverance. The last two are stand alone albums, but they belong together. One is very slow and melancholic with some very beautiful vocals, whereas the other is heavy duty! Mikael Åkerfeldt is a vocalist who can actually growl and be cool at the same time. You can hear what he is singing.

So, anyone not into Opeth? Go out and buy their records!

I grew tired of Dream Theater at a certain point. I tired of the sameness and especially of James LaBrie's voice (I'm still a fan, just needed some time off), and I found that Opeth was just what I was looking for.

I have yet to meet someone disappointed in Opeth. (and for those of you who are, please pass on by for now, so as not to ruin my statement completely)
Guitarmiester

"I grew tired of Dream Theater at a certain point. I tired of the sameness and especially of James LaBrie's voice (I'm still a fan, just needed some time off)."

-Same here, a few months back I was very into DT, right up to when they just mentioned that they were playing in NY, I started to get tired of DT and slowly not listen as much as I did. THey are a great band, still one of my favorites, but just need some time off. Still, can't wait for the show. Ever since I haven't been listening to them I've been listening to Pain of Salvation (if you haven't hear of them, check them out, amazing band! Anything by them is great.) Also, Evergrey is an amazing band, check them out if you haven't already. Other than those two, I've been listening to Vai and Satch again...oh, how can I forget Racer X! Gilbert is one of the most amazing guitarists, so fast and so accurate/clean! I'll definitly go out and get some Opeth albums (and probably the DVD), along with the others you recommended, and Nevermore. Ever hear of Nevermore? Check out their website to hear them, they are pretty good. Thanks for the help.
sonny sixshooter

Guitarmiester wrote:-Same here, a few months back I was very into DT, right up to when they just mentioned that they were playing in NY, I started to get tired of DT and slowly not listen as much as I did. THey are a great band, still one of my favorites, but just need some time off. Still, can't wait for the show. Ever since I haven't been listening to them I've been listening to Pain of Salvation (if you haven't hear of them, check them out, amazing band! Anything by them is great.) Also, Evergrey is an amazing band, check them out if you haven't already. Other than those two, I've been listening to Vai and Satch again...oh, how can I forget Racer X! Gilbert is one of the most amazing guitarists, so fast and so accurate/clean! I'll definitly go out and get some Opeth albums (and probably the DVD), along with the others you recommended, and Nevermore. Ever hear of Nevermore? Check out their website to hear them, they are pretty good. Thanks for the help.
You're welcome. And thanks for your recommendations. Yeah I know Nevermore. They are warming up for Disturbed (for whom I don't care that much) next month. Now that I am really looking forward to!
stratocastermaster

i added another to my list... im going to see dark star orchestra this weekend
NantucketSleighrider

Mine are:

Albert Lee
Jethro Tull
Mountain feat Leslie West
(Tommyfest)
Tommy Emmanuel + Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel + Albert Lee
Tommy Emmanuel + Joscho Stephan

I think I will feel like giving up guitar after my gig schedule.
endor

DAVID WILCOX!!!!!!!!!!!! ooo yeah, i know its not as amazinga s joe satch and steve vai and dream theatre, but hey, the man is a pretty sweet slide player.[/b]
Olivia

Okay, now I'm jealous! David Wilcox?!?!?!?! He is AWESOME! But he never tours out of the U.S........boohooh :cry:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

I'm seriously thinking about driving to Detroit to see Buckethead again. :shock:

Arsis are coming, gonna see them for sure, their drummer is an animal.

Joe Bonamassa in several days, might go see him again.

I seen that Celtic Frost are coming, might do that one too.
guyzif

A busy busy time for you then :shock:

Yes, yes!!! :mrgreen:

As for Opeth, yeah, I'll vouch for them, they RULE!!! :guitar :headbang :peace Love Mikael's voice & their music is awesome. Seen them 3 times & they put on one heck of a live show. I highly recommend seeing them live to get the real lowdown on what they're all about. Definitely recommend the Lamentations dvd as well. Those guys are so talented they don't even rehearse anything before recording. They even write some of the lyrics in the studio as they're going along. Watch the dvd, esp. the studio footage & you'll see just how talented they are. I'm mean, to write top-notch quality songs like they do, basically on a whim, just blows my mind. :? :shock:
stratocastermaster

I added yet another. I am also going to teh Brilliant Inventions next week
Leanne_777

I'm seeing Cannibal Corpse in April. And I deeply envy anyone foing to see Dream Theater on 1st of April.

My son & I will definitely be going to see Chris Poland's OHM: on May 8th.