Concert plans

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
stratocastermaster

What are some shows that yall are going to? i am going to see
Matisyahu
Buckethead
The John Butler TRio (in atlanta and chicago)
Great Big Sea
and Death Cab For Cutie... Who are yall seeing?
munchocruncho

Possibly:
George Clinton
Buckethead

But I don't like the venue, they gave me and my bro a snicker and a somewhat hard time because we were underage. But we were accompained by an adult. They said "Keep 'em away from the bar" But I say its the bars responsibility to card.

Sorry for that random anecdote.
fineweather

Olivia Newton-John (2 days for Tokyo)

...to listen to Andy Timmons' guitar sound... :wink:
(Oops, Olivia's singing, too! :lol: )
Guitarmiester

(1)Dream Theater (April 1st! Filmed for DVD&CD! The last show of the tour!!!)
(2)Children of Bodom
(3)Joe Satriani with Eric Johnson
-Might also be seeing:
(4)Buckethead
(5)Opeth

-Not sure on the last two, I haven't heard much of either of their stuff, I'd like to look more into them before I decide on going.
sonny sixshooter

Guitarmiester wrote:(1)Dream Theater (April 1st! Filmed for DVD&CD! The last show of the tour!!!)
(2)Children of Bodom
(3)Joe Satriani with Eric Johnson
-Might also be seeing:
(4)Buckethead
(5)Opeth

-Not sure on the last two, I haven't heard much of either of their stuff, I'd like to look more into them before I decide on going.
I can't say anything about Buckethead, but do yourself a favour and go see Opeth. Even though I have their albums I was blown away when seeing them live. Very cool and laid back yet still so so heavy!
Blade Runner

I WANT to see:

Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Planet X
Symphony X
Joe Satriani
Al Di Meola

And possibly Dragonforce.
Guitarmiester

sonny sixshooter - Thanks for the reply. I've heard a few things by Opeth, not enough though (yet). But, I'm going to NY next week and saw Opeth will be playing in NY one day next week, if I'm there that same day I'll check them out. Then, I'll be back to NY to see Dream Theater April 1st! Then...not done yet, Satch will be in NY. I was going to see him in PA, but NY is alittle closer. Any recommendations for Opeth albums to get? I'll probably pick up the DVD if I come across it, but I know I'll find their CD's before the DVD.
guyzif

Blade Runner wrote:I WANT to see:

Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Planet X
Symphony X
Joe Satriani
Al Di Meola

And possibly Dragonforce.
Personally i wouldnt recommend dragonforce. I saw them two weeks in london and it wasnt that great, they were tight and technical as every but the singer isnt amazing live and the drums were so loud. The drummer is such a speed deamon it was horrible, it turned the whole gig into a 70 minute superfast metal song, seriously.

Im going to progpower UK there will be:

Therion
Threshold
Pagans Mind
Secret Sphere
Orphaned Land
Firewind
Freedom Call

Then two days later im going to see Pagans Mind in London.
guyzif

Guitarmiester wrote:sonny sixshooter - Thanks for the reply. I've heard a few things by Opeth, not enough though (yet). But, I'm going to NY next week and saw Opeth will be playing in NY one day next week, if I'm there that same day I'll check them out. Then, I'll be back to NY to see Dream Theater April 1st! Then...not done yet, Satch will be in NY. I was going to see him in PA, but NY is alittle closer. Any recommendations for Opeth albums to get? I'll probably pick up the DVD if I come across it, but I know I'll find their CD's before the DVD.
Im not an Opeth afficado (sp) by any means but i personally can recommend Morningrise. Thats the album i have. Its great, if you like roaring vocals then you'll be fine, if not go elsewhere. The music is very technical and one song is about 20mins. It really is good.

Someone who has more of a catalogue of their albums may be able to help you out there better.
Guitarmiester

What is their singer like? I've only heard about two songs by them, one was instrumental, the other had singing, but I forgot what it was like. I'm hoping there is actual singing, rather than screaming or anything like that. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them. I'm used to epic songs, so the length of songs doesn't put me off.
SalamanderExcess

I wanna try and see Jethro Tull, Satch with EJ, Thin Lizzy maybe, and maybe t in the park
guyzif

Guitarmiester wrote:What is their singer like? I've only heard about two songs by them, one was instrumental, the other had singing, but I forgot what it was like. I'm hoping there is actual singing, rather than screaming or anything like that. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them. I'm used to epic songs, so the length of songs doesn't put me off.
Im used to epic songs too, im a big dream theater, opeth, pink floyd, symphony x fan, they all have really long songs.

The singer does indeed sing, on record hes very good but he cant cut it live.

Also its not that the songs are long, (the average about 7mins) its the fact that the drum beat is the same in 9/10 songs, its the same old double bass pounding at a million miles an hour, it gets boring quick. This aspect isnt so bad on the albums because the other instruments and vocals are higher in the mix, but live the drums overpower everything, hence the problem.

They are a good band for solos and speed and i really enjoy their albums but i wouldnt recommend them live tho, its just SO much more samey.

If I had to recommed an album id say 'valley of the damned' the debut. They had the super fast sound then but their is much more variation in the songs. The other two are pure speed fests.

I hope that helps.
Guitarmiester

guyzif - Thanks for the help, you answered exactly what I've been wanting to know.

SalamanderExcess - I saw Thin Lizzy a few years ago, when they toured with Joe Satriani and Deep Purple. The main reason I went to that show was to see Satch's set, but Deep Purple was amazing as well. Thin Lizzy SUCKED! I've been a fan of Thin Lizzy for a while, but once Phil died, downhill! At the show, T.L. went on first, they sped everything up and were way too loud (I've been to a ton of loud shows, but they took the #1 spot for the loudest, which isn't a good thing.) The guitarist (I don't remember who the guitarist was, I think Scott) kept hitting the same pinch harmonic every few seconds, it was so annoying. I was very disappointed in them. Satch was amazing, most of the people were just standing in awe (especially the people who mainly were there to see either DP and/or TL). Deep Purple ended the night with an amazing performance. Maybe Thin Lizzy cleaned up their act a bit, not sure, but they were horrible 2 or 3 years ago.
guyzif

Allways happy to help. :D
Shy Boy

TOMORROW NIGHT: Allan Holdsworth!

Then Buckethead in early March, followed by Satriani in late April (I'm getting special tickets for Satch).