if you are a guitar player, please read and help out

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Estang74
Newcomer

I was offended by this article in how poorly it was written and how this topic was revelant 10 years ago, not today. I don't think the writer did his homework and I feel it makes guitar players look bad. If you agree, please email the editor with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/Content?oid=oid%3A46777

Estang74
Eutow

Estang74 wrote:I was offended by this article in how poorly it was written and how this topic was revelant 10 years ago, not today. I don't think the writer did his homework and I feel it makes guitar players look bad. If you agree, please email the editor with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/Content?oid=oid%3A46777

Estang74

sadly, and unfortunately, I do agree with this atricle.

When is the last time you heard a beautifully executed solo on MTV? on the radio?

The solo is basically almost dead, and is beginning to become still a unique thing, but too troublesome to do. I adore solos, obviously, and I DO dislike how guitar solos are becoming less and less popular, or atleast noticable.

Anyone can strum, and the easiest will take over. Kids don't want to bother spending hours honing their technique, becuase they don't care.

I am surrounded by friends and peers(I'm 17) that enjoy music that simple doesn't carry much of the word guitar solo in it. Though that doesn't stop me from playing what I like to hear.

I too am dissapointed in the way things are turning out for guitar. Everything is still there, you just have to find it and get ahold of it.

thats my opinion
Estang74
Newcomer

"When is the last time you heard a beautifully executed solo on MTV? on the radio?"

Avenge Sevenfold "Bat County" Huge song on MTV
al

I hardly watch mtv anymore! lol the only new band i kinda like (which i can think of right now) are trivium, other than that theres solos on other music stations but i dont like those metal solos that have just fast solos for the hell of it, im tired :?
RAI

Estang74 wrote:I was offended by this article in how poorly it was written...
What's so offensive about this article?
It simply describes the state of guitar and guitarists today.
Not 10 years ago.
10 years ago, the trend of not soloing was growing steadily, but today most young people have never even heard a guitar solo.
At least not if they listen to what is mainly fed to them, by radio and television.
Hopefully this is just a phase...
And having bands like Avenged Sevenfold crank out a bitchin' solo on MTV shows that there is some interest in younger bands to actually be different.
Wow, a guitar solo in Rock n' Roll.
That is really different.....

:lol:
Christophar

Well thet world needed a bit of a break from solos after the 80s and its continued to slowly die down since then but I dont think we have herd the last of the wailing guitar...
shanekimble14

i do agree with the article, it is sad. new rock has become so simple now and nobody care for the solos or complicated stuff anymore. Also mtv seems to have hardly any rock anymore. when i turn to both mtv channels, all there are is rap videos
al

but its ok, im down with that homie now lets go pimpin
munchocruncho

I don't think the avenged sevenfold solo is any good.
Id take a Coltrane solo (possibly arranged for guitar) anyday.

I want to see kids these days listen to Django Reinhardt and Wes Montgomery. Phish, Grateful dead. Frank Zappa and anyone who he can be compared to (which is, so far, no one).

Its quite hard to make friends when you talk about Stravinsky, Django Reinhardt, Bob Marley, Frank Zappa, Dave Brubeck and the Isley Brothers, all in one day.
Most of the kids have only heard of Bob and the Isley Brothers, but haven't actually heard them(well, maybe some of their stuff).

I think the kids should be listening to something good, like everything I just mentioned.
RAI

Well, the Avenged Sevenfold solo isn't a "masterpiece", but in the barren landscape of guitar solos in popular music, it is refreshing to hear that someone actually doesn't give a rat's a** about if it's cool or not.

So, hopefully things will come full circle again, with kids slowly starting to dig deeper into this "mysterious world" of guitar solos, and actual technical ability...

8)
guyzif

The Metal Band Dragonforce from the uk have about 3 guitar solo's per 7 minute song and their popularity is growing massivly over here. They recently sold out a bigish venue in London. Alot of the fans were young kids who usually listen to solo less stuff. Their are bands out their that keep solo's in the misnstream-ish. You just have to know where to look.
Alex Smith

Many "solos" are simply chances to show off for certain guitarists. I agree with the article about the current state of the solo, and whilst I'm disappointed that this means less great solos, it also means a lot less terrible ones. Gov't Mule are still pulling off great solos to this day, and Steve still does it. If popular culture has faded out the crap without intending to improve, it's a happy accident.
guyzif

Alex Smith wrote:Many "solos" are simply chances to show off for certain guitarists. I agree with the article about the current state of the solo, and whilst I'm disappointed that this means less great solos, it also means a lot less terrible ones. Gov't Mule are still pulling off great solos to this day, and Steve still does it. If popular culture has faded out the crap without intending to improve, it's a happy accident.
This is an interesting point, i guess it is a backlash against all those solos that WERE over indulgant rubbish, its just a shame there very little of the good stuff in the mainstream.
Tiger

I do disagree with the article. The author doesn't seem to have a wide picture of the evolution of guitar throughout the last 4 decades. There has always been musical subgenres where the guitar solo was important and others where it wasn't. Blues guitar is all about guitar solos; Punk isn't. Prog is all about solos; Nu-Metal isn't.

When he writes that John Petrucci is putting less and less solos in DTs music the author is obviously stating one of two things - either he doesn't follow Dream Theater's career at all or he has a very poor concept of what a guitar solo is.

IMHO guitar solos (I think were talking about guitar solos in a song context and not solo guitar in a purelly instrumental context) have developed and grown quite different from what was usual in 80s rock music.

As for mainstream music, well I do agree that the mainstream of music industry during the second half of the 80s was more guitar solo friendly but that was a natural evolution. It will eventually come back towards the end of the present decade. Music mainstream is all about cycles. You must keep a wide scope to actually understand that.
chris_lpp

sadly i do too but not in the same way my friend......

i love the guitar solo they make a song a jamsandwich rather than bread and butter!!!!!

But they are no solos anymore, The Killers ...etc are to blame but i will in a few years bring back the solo...

i think there have been that many solos its hard to write new ones, there is unlimited music but they cna only do so much. i was also offended by the Thin Lizzy remark and they were the BOYS of the 70's not the 80's_____he needs to do his homework.

i love this saying and if you dont agree with it dont reply>>>>>

MTV (music television) RUINED MUSIC AND ROCK N ROLL :(