Prince; 2004 hall of fame = fu**ing amazing guitar playing!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
5thD

If you want to check out a great DVD of Prince where he just ripps it up on the guitar, and every other instrument as Mikey pointed out, check out

Prince "Rave Un2 The Year 2000" DVD.

here is a link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... ance&n=130

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
It's doubtful you were sitting home, watching a pay-per-view special on the last night of 1999, but know this: The Artist, Prince--whatever he's calling himself on a daily basis--understands how to throw one amazing party. This DVD not only presents the entire 21-song pay-per-view in its entirety, but also includes behind-the-scenes interviews and adds additional jams featuring Jimmy Russell, bassist Larry Graham, and George Clinton. Clinton is the key figure here, because over the last decade, Prince has essentially followed in the funk master's footsteps. Rather than just fronting a band (as he did with the Revolution and New Power Generation), Prince is now more of a bandleader. Here, surrounded by legends like Maceo Parker and members of Sly and the Family Stone, Prince displays the graciousness of a sideman, showcasing the musicians on his crowded stage. He offers backup vocals on the Family Stone's "Everyday People," and then plays cheerleader on "I Want to Take You Higher." Prince even gives up his stage to Lenny Kravitz for "American Woman," and to the Time for energetic, tongue-in-cheek versions of the hits "Jungle Love" and "The Bird." When taking center stage, Prince shows he hasn't lost a step either. His guitar playing on "Purple Rain," for example, is some of his strongest in years. All told, this is the best Prince concert film we've had since Sign O' the Times.
klangmaster TM

Mikey, i know You can eat me for doing that, but for all fans of prince i have solo in better resolution:
Prince's Best Solo

Great solo! It's so beautiful. I didn't realized that earlier!
user112

Prince is a great musician..
He also took a lot from Hendrix and incorporated it in his guitarplaying.
Maybe someone else could've crammed a lot of extra notes in that solo but it isn't about that.
Prince can take any instrument and just blast away on it.
I betcha he even plays flute ;)
Gastric Sumo

Yea, the guys very all-around talented-you might even say genious. It's always refreshing to see one of his videos. It's not hard to see why he was so big in the 80's
user112

On the album purple rain he recorded some heavy stuff.
I also 'forgot' he played guitar at a not so intermediate level (to say the least) because I don't listen to Prince as much ,compared to that period.
'When doves cry' has got a killer intro also.
Makes me think back to when I was just a kid ,I really liked Prince's music back then. :)
R1FSR

if you can find it check out Princes killer version of tender surrender 8)
Jemfever

R1FSR wrote:if you can find it check out Princes killer version of tender surrender 8)
I tried a search but couldn't finde a version of that song. Have you got a link by chance?
Regards
5thD

I am sure most of you know this but Prince is one of Steve Vai's favorite musician's, Steve even gave Prince his Jem he recorded "For The Love of God" on, If I am not mistaken, Mikey please correct that if I am mistaken....It happens often :-)

I know Steve told me he sent Prince around 10 Bad Horsie Pedals for him & his band, Steve said Prince flipped out over the BH and started using it in his rig.

Also to really here prince shine, There is a bonus CD in the Crystal Ball collection called "The Truth"

It is just Prince & a Acoustic guitar and it is mind blowing and truly beautiful as well
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

5thD wrote:I am sure most of you know this but Prince is one of Steve Vai's favorite musician's, Steve even gave Prince his Jem he recorded "For The Love of God" on, If I am not mistaken, Mikey please correct that if I am mistaken....It happens often :-)

I know Steve told me he sent Prince around 10 Bad Horsie Pedals for him & his band, Steve said Prince flipped out over the BH and started using it in his rig.

Also to really here prince shine, There is a bonus CD in the Crystal Ball collection called "The Truth"

It is just Prince & a Acoustic guitar and it is mind blowing and truly beautiful as well
It's was a Universe he gave to Prince: http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar036.html

Mikey :)
vai.com
5thD

Thanks Mikey!
5thD

Thanks for that higher res version of the Hall of fame Jam, Prince just knocked it out of the park. By the way, anybody know where that guitar went after Prince just threw it up into the air at the end of that video?

It had to have hit the ground pretty hard!
whisperingaprayer

Prince was my favorite when I was a kid, everyone used to make fun of me because I liked him so much. He is a VERY talanted musician. He did a beautiful song on guitar for his movie Under the cherry moon. It is called Alexa de Paris. It was on the B side of his 45 for his song Mountians. I wish I could get a MP3 of that song, it is really good.
GuitarHero

fyrie wrote:Just found an official video
http://www.warnerreprise.com/qt-ref/TP_ghi_1mov.mov
Prince is definitely good, but that solo was too 'noisy' for my preference. It wasn't that impresive in my opinion.
Hobophobic

GuitarHero wrote:It wasn't that impresive in my opinion.
Well, we can't all be a guitarhero so I guess some of us are just more easily impressed. :P :D
Trendmonger

unfortunately I did not see this performance but over the years my eyes and ears have seen and heard enoguh of Prince to realize his art and guitar playing makes a distinct impression of remarkability.

At times the mediocrity that is Pop Media For The Masses sets a prejudice mind set on what we may think an artist can or has done collectively.

Prince is an extremely talented artist on a variety of instruments. his aranging and producing skills are definitely a cut above much of his peers in the last 30 years. Sort of a Frank Zappa of the Pop World.

Delve into his entire catalouge and you shall find many gems. It only takes for one to have open eyes and ears to enable one the opportunity to enjoy his art.
Last edited by Trendmonger on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.