Prince; 2004 hall of fame = fu**ing amazing guitar playing!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Keenly
Newcomer

Did anyone here see this performance?

It was of 'While my guitar gently weeps'; Prince killed it. There was a group of guys playing including George Harrison's son.

It wasn't even rehearsed by Prince he was just given a tape; which he learned and then played. Clapton's version came NOWHERE near this.

For all those that are ignorant Prince= one of the greatest guitar players ever easily.
fyrie

Yup this was killer. Is there any non-dubious sources that we can talk about on the net for this?
fyrie

Zebula77

Oh, he's awsome! I still say the Purple Rain solo is one of the top 100 of all time easy.

And he's such a performer too. Great live.
PRINCE O(->
Newcomer

Prince will be on Saturday Night Live tonight.
Real_Confusions

I'm not trying to bash Prince or anything, but I had to turn the feed off when he started soloing.

I'll admit that he is an incredible songwriter---I've seen him play some amazing clean passages before---but you can't even begin to compare him with Eric Clapton.

That was a cool vid, though...Tom Petty seems to be on there. :)

The only thing I liked about Prince on that video was that hat. :twisted:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Real_Confusions wrote:I'll admit that he is an incredible songwriter---I've seen him play some amazing clean passages before---but you can't even begin to compare him with Eric Clapton.
Interestingly enough, Eric Clapton has been quoted as saying Prince is his favorite player.

Mikey
vai.com
Real_Confusions

Mikey wrote:Interestingly enough, Eric Clapton has been quoted as saying Prince is his favorite player.
Wow, that is interesting. Especially considering how Clapton has bashed most of the other "guitar gods" in his lifetime, i.e. Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, and others.
Hobophobic

adds3566

Thanks for the video of Prince on SNL Guys, what can i say? really was totally fantastic!!!
5thD

Prince is the man! Great playing on that version. Looking forward to the next CD, He ripped it up on SNL last night as well!
guyzif

I never realised how much of a great player Prince was!
The Wolf

Real_Confusions wrote:
Mikey wrote:Interestingly enough, Eric Clapton has been quoted as saying Prince is his favorite player.
Wow, that is interesting. Especially considering how Clapton has bashed most of the other "guitar gods" in his lifetime, i.e. Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, and others.
do we consider prince a guitar god? I had no idea :| I'm impressed! I'm sad to admit I didn't even know he played guitar lol
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Prince can play every instrument very well. I have frightening video of him recording bass in the studio. Amazing shit!

Mikey
vai.com
adds3566

I'm impressed! I'm sad to admit I didn't even know he played guitar

A lot people don’t know how good a guitarist he is just because he just never really did let fly in playing his guitar apart from a couple of songs at the start of his career, I remember hearing 'lets go crazy' for the first time and I was like :arrow: no way that surely cant be Prince
:shock: