Devin Townsend - Synchestra

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Big Bad Bill wrote:Alien-Yikes!! I'm finding it a bit too heavy, even for me!
Strapping is about as heavy as it gets... but it's really melodic too. And when Devin goes from a growl to his singing voice, it gives me the chills.

I suggest sampling them through the iTunes music store.

Here are some other choice cuts (I'm not saying these are the best tracks, but these are among the ones that give me wood)..

"Shitstorm" from Alien
"Love?" from Alien
"Zen" from Alien
"Devour" from SYL
"Relentless" from SYL
"All Hail The New Flesh" from City
"Oh My Fucking God" from City
"S.Y.L" from Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing
"Goat" from Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing

Bang your head,

Mikey :)
vai.com
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Yeah, Strapping Young Lad are kinda the yin of The Devin Townsend Band's yang. :mrgreen:
Big Bad Bill

Mikey wrote:
Here are some other choice cuts (I'm not saying these are the best tracks, but these are among the ones that give me wood)..
Bang your head,
vai.com
Mikey, I now have a mental image of you listening to SYL-and it's psychologically damaged me. Expect a bill from a very expense Psychiatrist-probably based in the Maldives :wink:
lydian7

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Bang your head,
vai.com
Mikey, I now have a mental image of you listening to SYL-and it's psychologically damaged me. Expect a bill from a very expense Psychiatrist-probably based in the Maldives :wink:
Aright gay. :roll: (Quote from Shaun of the Dead ;))
Big Bad Bill

I must say, Synchestra is a real grower of an album. Some really catchy melodies-and I can't get Triumph out of my head! Since I don't usually get ot the end of it (my commute and hence listening time is only about 30 minutes) I'm having trouble getting into the last few songs. Still I really do like this album.
lydian7

Big Bad Bill wrote:I must say, Synchestra is a real grower of an album. Some really catchy melodies-and I can't get Triumph out of my head! Since I don't usually get ot the end of it (my commute and hence listening time is only about 30 minutes) I'm having trouble getting into the last few songs. Still I really do like this album.
Oh you're missing a treat! Mental Tan is a really intricately composed, meditative lydian piece, which flows nicely into the heavier (and ultra-catchy) Gaia. The next song, Pixillate, is a very heavy, very melodic piece in 6/8 which has some dense, rich musical textures. Probably my favourite track from the album, I love the soft vocals contrasting with the heavy, 'wall-of-sound' guitar parts.
munchocruncho

Great album, but, since im a real man: The best songs are "Let It roll" "Vampolka" and "Sunshine"
Since I haven't the brain capacity to write a decent, coherent, review, we will leave it ast that.
klangmaster TM

Ok, i have this album in my hands. Limited edition with DVD. It's great piece of music - i heard that 2 times, and yeah, he's good. Especially Vampolka :lol: And it's variation Vampira. I was quite surprised when i realised that DVD contains no tracks from the album.

And great pics included in forest :D
Thx and best regards,
k
metalus

Hey All.

I just got my copy of the album today. Limited Edition version with the DVD. HMV in my town had the normal version & limited edition versions in stock!.

I've just listened to the cd in full, then put the dvd in. As to the music on the disc. You can't really compare each Devin Townsend album to any of the others. As any of his fans will know he isn't afraid to try something new in his music. Each of the Devin cd's sound differant from the last cd. This new cd is excellent on first listen. And yes Steve Vai's guitar solo in track 3 is excellent. Quick question though. "Whats track 14 called?..its not listed". The DVD is also very good. Some of the behind the scenes stuff is great. I like the comment Dev makes on the tour section...words to the effect of "people might thing i think my hair is a pain in the ass...but its so cool" haha.

So people new to his music....his solo stuff is mid heavy i would say..the SYL stuff is heavy as hell. Like putting your head in a furnace and getting it blasted off" lmao. Yes there is that much going on in the music!.

Loz :)
treeduck

I'm a bit late on this one, I only just got it but I'm liking it...

:D