Devin Townsend - Synchestra

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Zebula77

I'm listening to it now. Got it yesterday.

I like it a lot so far. It's gonna take some time to process in my mind, heheh, but that's generally a good thing. :lol:
Naffis-kun

Yeah.. Got it on the 27th :).
Synchestra is Devin's best album by far.
Big Bad Bill

On the first few listens, it sounds pretty cool-not what I expected as I thought it'd be more 'metal'.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Big Bad Bill wrote:On the first few listens, it sounds pretty cool-not what I expected as I thought it'd be more 'metal'.
That's what Strapping is for... :)
stu_hig

Mikey wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:On the first few listens, it sounds pretty cool-not what I expected as I thought it'd be more 'metal'.
That's what Strapping is for... :)
Yeah, it doesn't get much metal-er than SYL! :)
Zebula77

Yeah, I know. I recently heard a few SYL tracks, and I liked some of it, but it was a bit too intense for me in places.

Tho I guess I need to listen to it more. Devin's a frickin' genius.
Virulent

Woah! Just got this album. It's amazing! Dev delivers again in spades. And Steve's solo is otherworldly - but it just icing on an already moist delicious cake.

If you haven't got this album yet go out and get it!

By the way, the Vampolka/Vampira tracks kinda remind me of Tool's Intermission/Jimmy because of their comic contrast of songs.
lydian7

Synchestra is one of the most innovative and original albums I've heard in a long, long time. There's just so many excellent ideas and sound textures going on. It's heavy, yet melodic and symphonious, and it's extremely well composed and produced. I actually enjoyed this CD moreso than Real illusions, it's that good!! :)

On a side note, the rhythm section and intro to Vampolka is almost identical to the Choccobo theme tune in Final Fantasy VII! And the intro to Vampira is almost identical to Welcome to Planet Motherfucker/Psychoholic Slag from the White Zombie album La Sexorcisto: devil music volume one. I'm sure these were both wacky homages, and tasteful ones at that.
Ginner_321

It's a really great album, I got it last week.

I really like Vampolka/Vampira, two brilliant songs!

Is it weird that I kinda get creeped out by "Baby Song" :?.

Cheers,
Big Bad Bill

In the song, 'Triumph', who is this 'Dr. Young' that Devin is hooraying for?

So if I want metal I should check out SYL? Any particularly good ones?
stu_hig

Big Bad Bill wrote:In the song, 'Triumph', who is this 'Dr. Young' that Devin is hooraying for?

So if I want metal I should check out SYL? Any particularly good ones?
I'd go for the album 'City'.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

"City" is amazing, but I would go for "Alien" first... then go bacwards into their catalog.

Mikey :)
vai.com
Big Bad Bill

Alien-Yikes!! I'm finding it a bit too heavy, even for me!
lydian7

Mikey wrote:"City" is amazing, but I would go for "Alien" first... then go bacwards into their catalog.

Mikey :)
vai.com
Alien, I'll give that a whirl too.
lydian2000

cant wait to get my hands on the DVD version!!!(ordered today)

by the way guyz, to me the very name of the album seems to echo a VST plugin called SYNful orcHESTRA (amazing mindblowing violon and cello sounds).... I don't think this is just a coincidence, especially given the fact that devin is a top-notch edgy genius....am i the only one who thinks this?

ill-used phrase for synchestra: "quality speaks for itself" :D