Devin Townsend - Synchestra

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
GGGrev

I quite like this album, Steve's solo was good as always too. :D
stu_hig

Isn't out over here yet but going by the samples on Amazon it sounds great. Can't wait to get it. :)
Snow

Synchestra is excellent, I didn't quite like the way that Accelerated Evolution was going but this album is nothing like that. It's at least worth checking out.

And what comes to the SSV solo, I was driving to work and thinking "what was the song that Steve plays" and a bit later the solo came and you could tell right away that it was Steve. :D
Zebula77

Thanks for telling me about this one. I just ordered it, hehe. I've become a big fan of his lately. I just discovered the Accelerated Evolution album, which I think is awsome, so I'm looking forward to this one. :)
John

It's fucking insane how amazing this album is! I can't wait for the special edition to arrive.
And I swear it's not because Steve plays on it - Triumph is becoming my favorite Devin song ever.

:headbang One word - Collective! :headbang
Pyrostasis

i just pre-ordered it yesterday. Cant wait for this one, accelerated evolution was incredible!
Prezidentman

John wrote: Triumph is becoming my favorite Devin song ever.

:headbang One word - Collective! :headbang
Same here!!!I just heard the song and it's really awesome!!! Beautifully built.
I only wish that: 1) Steve's solo was longer,can't get enough of his playing
2) Steve played solos on all the songs

I recently read an article where Devin stated, that he hopes that this one song isn't the only thing that Steve ends up being involved in and that he would like Steve to participate in some of his ohter future projects, even in SYL to some extend, even though I highly doubt that this will happen in the close future...CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT!??? That'd be crazy!! :shock:
GGGrev

I really liked the intro to "Let it roll", the acoustic then comes Devin's vocals, very nicely done.

It's got it's hevy devy moments then tendy devy moments. :lol:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I just received the album in the mail from Dev, and I'm just so blown away by it.

I can't recommend it enough to anyone who wants to dip their toes in the giant ocean that is Devin Townsend.

And no matter how much I listen to it, or how well I know Steve, I still can't figure out how he can even think the lick at 6:07 during his solo on "Triumph".

Mikey :)
vai.com
Big Bad Bill

Can anyone describe the general style of the CD. Does it compare to anything, in anyway? The Amazon clips are such bad quality, I can hardly make them out. Also, Amazon claim there's a CD+DVD version. Anyone know what this is?

How come two people in the UK already have this CD and have reviewed it?

Questions, questions, questions! :shock:
treeduck

Big Bad Bill wrote:Can anyone describe the general style of the CD. Does it compare to anything, in anyway? The Amazon clips are such bad quality, I can hardly make them out. Also, Amazon claim there's a CD+DVD version. Anyone know what this is?

How come two people in the UK already have this CD and have reviewed it?

Questions, questions, questions! :shock:
They either downloaded it, got an advance copy, an import, or they engineered the album, or maybe it was a deal with the Devin...
stu_hig

Big Bad Bill wrote:Can anyone describe the general style of the CD. Does it compare to anything, in anyway?
If it's anything like Devin's previous work it's quite unique. Hugh sound, very processed metal guitar tones, ungodly drum sound, great songs. Buy it! :)
laficojr

Mikey wrote:I just received the album in the mail from Dev, and I'm just so blown away by it.

I can't recommend it enough to anyone who wants to dip their toes in the giant ocean that is Devin Townsend.

And no matter how much I listen to it, or how well I know Steve, I still can't figure out how he can even think the lick at 6:07 during his solo on "Triumph".

Mikey :)
vai.com

Can wait to listen that :P
ultrazone_seeker

after reading the stuff on Devin's site i'm left with a huge dillema in regard to getting this album...

do i want the InsideOut DVD version or the HDR one with the jewel case? :? indecision, indecision... :(
Pyrostasis

i just got it in the post this morning. Its a damn cool album - but quite different from accelerated evolution. Its got a few songs in that style - but it sounds slighty more stripped back and raw to me. Even with dev style awesome production. I got the special edition one too with the bonus DVD! Yay me!