Joe Satriani - Super Colossal

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
R1FSR

shacks wrote:For people who dont yet have the CD the final podcast track is up..."Crowd Chant"...lets see the hands in the air...altogether now...WO-WOO-WOOOO-WO-WOOOOOOOO....!

http://www.satriani.com/podcast/Super_Colossal/

shacks
Although ill wait to listen to the Full version...BUT..could this be the worst satriani track ever ??
great for live crowd interaction but on a studio album ??? :? :?
Shy Boy

Alright, I got the album this morning at Best Buy. There were only two copies there, and I took one of them.
dweezil 9

Didn't he just realease a new album like end of last year? "Is there love in Space" or something? Was that any good?
shacks

Just noticed this has been added at the getlive ticket site...

It’s been 20 years since guitar monster Joe Satriani shook the world with his debut solo release, Not of This Earth. But when we broke this news to Satch himself, he couldn’t believe it.

In fact, though Satriani has had a dream career that’s ranged from building a reputation as the teacher that the greatest guitarists sought out for lessons, to exploding all over the map with more than ten million sales of 11 solo albums (two platinum, four gold), 13 Grammy nominations, 3 platinum DVD’s, the historic G3 guitar summits, and tours/sessions with everyone from Mick Jagger to Deep Purple to Spinal Tap, Super Colossal is an unprecedented achievement.

Why? Because it’s about more than playing guitar.

It’s about the magic in music.

More precisely, it’s about finding that sweet spot where sweeping gestures and a craftsman’s attention to detail enrich each other.

After finishing his tracks, he sent them out for live drum overdubs: Four – “A Cool New Way,” “One Robot’s Dream,” “The Meaning of Love,” and “Made of Tears” – went to session giant Simon Phillips in L.A.; the rest were cut by Satriani’s longtime associate Jeff Campitelli in
Vancouver, at The Armoury, a studio that co-Producer Mike Fraser (AC/DC) had recommended. The acoustics of its main room yielded exactly what Satriani wanted for the rhythm track: a big, brawny resonance that complemented the power of his most aggressive lines, and a rich whisper
for softer moments.

“I wanted a sound that was complex and emotional but never revealed the technology behind it,” the guitarist explains. “As a result I managed to find the best guitar tones I’ve ever put on record. The sound of this album, the incredible variety that somehow fits under this umbrella of
Super Colossal, makes it special in my book.

“And,” he reminds us, “I didn’t even know I was celebrating 20 years.”

http://www.getlive.co.uk/events/event_i ... rid=171664

shacks
prman

This album is what professional guitarplaying is about: playing what is necessary at the right time and with the right tone. This is not a shredders delight -album.

Satch really hit the jackpot on this one. The songs are great, the production is awesome, Satch`s tones are a great mix of vintage and modern and the "band" grooves deep (I wish there would have been a "real" bassplayer though...).
guyzif

I cant wait til it comes out over here. Is it out in the UK already by the way?
knx777
Newcomer

exept for a few boring songs, its ok, imo
R1FSR

i got a signed copy through the door today.
Ive played it twice so far and.. :roll: hmmm :roll: maybe/hopefully it will grow on me...fraid there is nothing new here guys not saying its bad it isnt just that nothing has grabbed me yet.
Instrumentalrockrocks

R1FSR wrote:i got a signed copy through the door today.
Ive played it twice so far and.. :roll: hmmm :roll: maybe/hopefully it will grow on me...fraid there is nothing new here guys not saying its bad it isnt just that nothing has grabbed me yet.
NOTHING NEW?!?!?

I haven't got it yet but the songs on satriani.com sounded REALLY new...
It's just a mix of all satriani's albums I think... but then with much more interesting endings of songs and really changing melodies instead of let the melody growing in the song what we normally see with Satriani's songs..... now he just really changes the endings and stuff without making it "another song"..... if you get what I mean...

Shred On :guitar
lydian2000

i finally bought it and as with the last (to me EOC is hist true last album)2,3 albums it is, again...very disappointing, same boring song structures...guyz i've been listening to devin townsend' synchestra album and in one track by devin u have probably more musical ideas(like..daring to go OUT of the circle of fifths...daring and exploring unusual chord changes and song structures)than in the entire album of super colossal....and this from an old fan of satch, yes some melodies are there and the tones are superb(but thats the least we expect from him, right?)but i clearly expected so much more, and by so much more i don't mean more shred. And i'm also fed up with slow songs slow tempos however groovy, i think joe has been growing far too self-indulgent...i guess there are enough new guitar players to make him live well for along time... but he could deliver so much more...so much more. :roll:
Tony S

How did you manage to get a signed copy then?
I thought they were only available through the Sony music site, but I've just been on there, and it says they don't ship internationally ?
al

they dont... companies in america dont realise theres other countries outside of america!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes.
guyzif

That sucks big time!
R1FSR

What you need is a few friends state side :wink:
Slygroove

lydian2000 wrote:like..daring to go OUT of the circle of fifths...
Nonsense. That's utterly meaningless. You're just spouting random phrases hoping to sound like you know what you're talking about. We see through you. Stop trying to piss on the parade.