Joe Satriani - Super Colossal

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
lydian7

prman wrote:I`m pretty excited `bout this album! The clips I`ve heard sound very promising. Seems like Joe`s really put some serious effort on the compositions on this album and there are no pseudo-blues-tunes àla "Psycho Monkey" & "Up In Flames" which I found pretty boring (if somebody else likes them it`s OK by me). Also the arrangements and production sounds pretty ambitious at times. It`s cool that Joe has the courage to use an outside producer. It is something that Steve might benefit from also in the future (I know Steve is a controlfreak and we all heard his stories of the Alcatrazz "Disturbing the peace" -sessions...).

Anyway, I`m looking forward to this album!
Vai has always produced his best work my himself. Joe, on the other hand, is a musician through and through, and seems more comfortable handing the production and engineering reigns to somebody else. NOTE, SWTA & FIABD was produced by John Cunibertti, The Extrimist was produced by Andy Johns, Joe Satriani was produced by Glynn Johns, and so on. I think Joe works best this way, and I think one of the reasons for SBM's failure was due to the fact that Joe attempted to arrange all his own material in his home Pro Tools setup, rather than skecthing rough ideas and letting a producer Iron out the creases.

I'm not really sure Psycho Monkey could be classed as a psuedo-blues piece, as the main melody is written in the phrygian dominant/gypsy scale. Same goes for Up In Flames. I would class it more as a rock piece since it doesn't really emphasise the minor pentatonic, but rather the major/minor scale. Those two tracks were the weakest on Crystal Planet though in my opinion, and there were far more innovative ideas elsewhere (e.g. Trundrumbalin, A Piece of Liquid, With Jupiter In Mind, Raspberry Jam/Delta V, ect).

I'm going to wait for this latest album to be released before I pass judgement on it though. I'm still keeping an open mind about it.
shacks

shacks wrote:BTW I see there are clips up on the Sony site but I am not able to listen to them...!!??

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/cat ... kuId=94008
Those clips are working for me now!

shacks
prman

lydian7, it is good that you wait before you pass your judgement on "Super Colossal". We don`t want you to make an hasty judgement `cos it might have negative impact on the albums success.
The Wolf

the new one "theme for a strange world" sounds awesome
shacks

UK release date has been confirmed as the 24 April!!?? Looks like I am ordering it from da net then!

shacks
Big Bad Bill

I got my tickets for the Manchester Satch gig today-2nd row centre! Should be great! Anyone else going?
Yorksha_Pud

When the hell is that?! Theres no UK dates on satriani.com!
Ant711UK

Errr......How did you manage that?
shacks

I got front row centre ticks for London and 3rd and 6th row centre ticks for Manchester and Newcastle!! Super Colossal!!!!!!!

shacks
lydian7

The Wolf wrote:the new one "theme for a strange world" sounds awesome
Agreed, I think that one sounds promising. For some reason I feel the second half of the album is sounding stronger than the first.
NoAngel

shacks wrote:UK release date has been confirmed as the 24 April!!?? Looks like I am ordering it from da net then!

shacks
CDWOW have despatched my copy!

Where did you find info on tour? Is he playing anywhere else in UK? GetLive are showing Manchester and Hammersmith. Ticket master just Manchester.
shacks

Super Colossal June UK Tour

16 Fri Manchester Apollo

17 Sat Newcastle City Hall

18 Sun Glasgow Royal Concert Hall

19 Mon Birmingham Symphony Hall

20 Tue Hammersmith Apollo

21 Wed Bournemouth pavillion

22 Thur Cardiff St David's Hall

shacks
Bono

Hmm, I wonder if they'll do the premium ticket packages for the UK...
al

yeah not a mention on satriani.com :mad:

and even more annoyign no irish dates :mad: :mad:

and even more annoying, no mention of platinum passes, :mad: :mad: :mad:

all this shud be sorted out before the tickets go on sale, i dont know if ive to wait to see if there's and irish date, before i get a crappy ticket for a uk show since they're already onn fecking sale :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad: im pissed off
Ant711UK

I feel the same!

I'll go and buy regular tickets to ensure a good seat and hopefully grab a premium package if they do run them in the UK.

Looks like they need a Mikey over at Satriani.com

Edit......Just got row B 15 & 16 so I'm happy now!!

Tony
Last edited by Ant711UK on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.