Joe Satriani - Super Colossal

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
b2

I would like to hear some more "out in the space songs".
With some stranger harmonies and even more strange melodies.

I like every album from Joe and his "Engines Of Creation" I first
did not like so much but now I think it is very nick. Something
new, of course much inspired by techno etc but I like these cool
drum loops and "out in space songs".

I love his sound so it is always nice to hear him playing.
Shy Boy

Just because you didn’t dig various songs on certain records doesn’t mean you have to act like a jerk. Joe is just like anybody; he has some hits and some misses, but that’s all determined by personal tastes, and you can’t really claim a superior opinion about a freakin’ CD.

What’s the point of slamming the guy on a message board though? The CD’s not even out yet! If you’re only here to bash his previous releases and second-guess his coming ones, then this isn’t the place for you. Whatever you have to bitch about has already been thought by you and posted by another before you. Besides, it’s not like anyone is forcing you to buy his albums, and I’m sure you would have bitched if he’d said he was going to stop making albums because of your steadily increasing distaste for his work.

Personally, I’m filled with nothing but gratitude towards Satch -- for all he has done for the instrumental guitar genre, and for all the enjoyment his music has brought me over the years. He also seems like a really good guy who loves to please his fans. Satriani.com is very good to its visitors. Joe answers questions and gives updates frequently, there are some give-aways, Satch allows for special fan interviews, and he allows for free webcasts of his concerts to be put up occasionally! Not to mention all the recording he does, and the constant tours to not only make a living, but to please his fans.

Bottom line: I love much of his music, and there has always been enough songs I liked on each album to make all of them worth the purchase.
PureVa|

lydian7 wrote:
Ricky Garcia wrote: Even if Joe´s next CD would be 74 Min. of pure silence it is what he wishes to do and it wouldnt make any sense to compare it to his previous work.
That would have been more interesting and innovative than ITLIS, and I sincerely believe that. However, John Cage beat him to it. ;)
I thought Is Their Love in Space was an appalling album and lacked the focus and originality of his better works. Satch has also gone on record as saying that he believes a solo should never be 'thought out', but rather it should be an organic process, and an honest reflection of the subconscious mind creating ideas instantaniously. Improvisation is not a dirty word, and the fact that alot of young guitarists think that it is just shows what kind of state the musicality of music is in at the moment. That said, I thought most of the solos from ITLIS were improvised, but they didn't seem to have the same melodic progression as his earlier works.
wow i had no idea people felt this way about ITLIS...although in my opinion the first 4 opening songs were midly entertaining at best, but from then on you're in Satch heaven.
Melodic Dreamer

Satch was my favorite guitarist for about 10 years. I still think he is a great guitarist, but something about his music nowdays is plain boring. This is just my opinion of course. I can't put my finger on it, but his albums are just not exciting anymore.

My taste have changed and all, but still... Satch just seems to write jams songs with the same noodling solos. His solo's in "Rubina, Flying In A Blue Dream, Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness, Why, Time Machine" were well constructed, but now it's just the same thing to my ears. The funny thing is I like imrovisation (Holdsworth, Henderson, Garsed, Howe, Gambale) but Satch isn't that type of player. I guess to me, if he constructs a solo or improvises it is fine, but he just seems to laid back.

He doesn't seem interested in really creating a piece of music, instead he just plays over a few chords with a standard beat in the background. This is what Joe is about though, I will never bash him, but I wish he would raise it up a few notches.

It reminds me when he was talking about Clapton, Page and Beck. Joe said Clapton & Page have slacked off and got comfortable, but Beck has been evolving/growing with time. I feel the same way about Satch. He has got comfortable and now does - what he does. There isn't any danger in his playing anymore in my opinion.

So, really I'm not saying anything that Joe didn't say about someone else.
treeduck

Melodic Dreamer wrote:Satch was my favorite guitarist for about 10 years. I still think he is a great guitarist, but something about his music nowdays is plain boring. This is just my opinion of course. I can't put my finger on it, but his albums are just not exciting anymore.

My taste have changed and all, but still... Satch just seems to write jams songs with the same noodling solos. His solo's in "Rubina, Flying In A Blue Dream, Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness, Why, Time Machine" were well constructed, but now it's just the same thing to my ears. The funny thing is I like imrovisation (Holdsworth, Henderson, Garsed, Howe, Gambale) but Satch isn't that type of player. I guess to me, if he constructs a solo or improvises it is fine, but he just seems to laid back.

He doesn't seem interested in really creating a piece of music, instead he just plays over a few chords with a standard beat in the background. This is what Joe is about though, I will never bash him, but I wish he would raise it up a few notches.

It reminds me when he was talking about Clapton, Page and Beck. Joe said Clapton & Page have slacked off and got comfortable, but Beck has been evolving/growing with time. I feel the same way about Satch. He has got comfortable and now does - what he does. There isn't any danger in his playing anymore in my opinion.

So, really I'm not saying anything that Joe didn't say about someone else.
Yeah good points mate, I agree. Joe is a great guitar player and no one can ever take away what he's achieved, but he's just lost that excitement for me and his new material sounds kind of stale. Not sure about his tone now with those Peavey amps either...
aero_asmith
Newcomer

Is There Love in Space is a great album. It has diverse sounds, and it offers a great listening experience from start to finish. He jammed out on some wonderfully fresh blues and the heavier songs were a nice change too. I don't know if I would be as happy with this album if it weren't for one song though...
"If I Could Fly" is the best track off that album, and possibly his best song ever. I can get people who aren't into the whole instrumental genre to listen to that and be intrigued and sonically satisfied, and that's something special.
Guitar_freaak

Dont forget ppl , Satch taught Steve so without him steve might not be the guitarist we see today .
Instrumentalrockrocks

Mikey wrote:Joe hasn't been on a steady decline. Your tastes are just changing and Joe is evolving.

If Joe kept releasing "Surfing With The Alien"-type albums over and over then people would also criticize him for not evolving (a criticism often leveled at Yngwie).

People like to cling to the past. It's a good thing most artists want to move forward.

Mikey :)
vai.com
I completely agree

Just buy Is there Love in Space and listen to it a long time...

The album is getting better each minute you listen to it...
Don't say anything about Joe's albums till you've listened to it a thousend times.... it's always getting better the more you listen to it (well almost always.....)

And I think (after I listened to it a thousand times) that Is there Love in Space is REALLY a album that DOES matter....

Especially searching is one of my joe's all time favorites

Shred On :guitar
Instrumentalrockrocks

Shy Boy wrote: Personally, I’m filled with nothing but gratitude towards Satch -- for all he has done for the instrumental guitar genre, and for all the enjoyment his music has brought me over the years. He also seems like a really good guy who loves to please his fans. Satriani.com is very good to its visitors. Joe answers questions and gives updates frequently, there are some give-aways, Satch allows for special fan interviews, and he allows for free webcasts of his concerts to be put up occasionally! Not to mention all the recording he does, and the constant tours to not only make a living, but to please his fans.
I again totally agree

He's so nice for his fans and he's always trying to make his music better and better and better.....and it's so cool that he puts webcasts on his site....
He's one of the artists that really wants to do everything for his fans...

I AGAIN SAY: JUST BUY IS THERE LOVE IN SPACE? !!!!!!

LISTEN TO IT FOR OURS AND MOST OF YOU GUYS WILL AGREE WITH ME THAT IT IS NOT A BAD ALBUM ..... JUST A TOTALLY NEW CONCEPT...

Shred On :guitar

P.S.: Check these studio photos out:
http://www.dunnett.com/satriani/satriani.html
And YES I know that SOME of these photos you've seen before but there are also some other pics! so check it out!
Arkka

I think Joe has become better and better over the years. To me his music is more sophisticated and soothing nowadays. Listening to the newer stuff makes me feel good. SBM is my favorite album. I listen to the old albums mainly because of the guitar work.
fyrie

Opinions are a dime-a-dozeon on this thread, but I thought Is there Love in Space was his comeback album, at least for the type of stuff I like. I thought Crystal Planet - Strange and Beautiful had a couple good tracks on each album but were just more of the same.
Alcaline

I am quite the oppositt of most of you ppl..

I never realy liked Joe Satriani before, his music was just not my style at all. But now, with the albums
Is There Love In Space and Strange Beautifull Music I realy enjoy these albums. They have many beautifull songs.
Searching, Gnaahh, Lifestyle, The Souls Of Distortion, What Breaks A Heart, Chords Of Life and You Saved My Life.
Are all verry good songs to me.. The Albums took a while for me to get to like. But I listend to them over
and over and suddently it just struck me that these songs are realy cool. They dont hit me the way much of VAI`s songs does.
They are more entertaining songs, rather than songs that I can connect to on a higher level. But I think his music is
moving in a more right direction for my music taste

So everyone has a right to say what they think. But to comment on a album that has not yet been released thats pointless.
Lets just see if it is any good, if not then to bad, better luck on the next one. :roll:
Bono

Opinions are like Kiss albums - everyone has one and they all suck...

..........ok they don't all suck, but you get my point lol :D
Alcaline

Bono wrote:Opinions are like Kiss albums - everyone has one and they all suck...
haha, thats a good one! 8)
Andelusion

7/8 E Lydian definately sounds interesting ;)

Not so sure on the cover art though!