Dont hate me for this

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
xxxYNGWIExxx

Dont hate me for this

#1 Post by xxxYNGWIExxx » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:31 pm

well i just got done listening to some vai cds and i must say ....... I HATED THEM. Well umm heres what happed i got a hold of some cds (mostly vai some cacophony, jason becker, and some joe satriani.) ive always loved steve vai as a guitarist and i still do but i dont like his music .........At all. Since like 2 days ago ive only heard tender surrender, for the love of god, whipering a prayer and maybe one or two others bacically his best stuff. I assumed that the stuff i was listening to was what his music was like but after lisening to most of his cds just a while ago i must say i really didient like any of it. I still like steve vai and think hes a great guitar player but i think his music is boring. But after lisening to cacophony i LOVE marty friedman and jason becker now. i think there music is so cool way better then vai and i dont want to insult any one but i just think as far as instrumental songs go i think jason becker and marty freidman are the best does any eles agree with me. some songs from cacophony i like are Black cat - minus the vocals
Go off
speed metal symphony
images
desert island- minus the vocals
black stallion
Concerto

Jason becker
Altitudes
air
mabels fatel fable
end of the beginnng
serrana

Now i belive these are some of the greatest song ever any one else agree?

Gastric Sumo

#2 Post by Gastric Sumo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:35 pm

That's an artist for you. Some good, some bad. Steve Vai really shines when he gets it right though.

guyver_dio

#3 Post by guyver_dio » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:47 pm

I feel completely the oppisite. I like Cacophony and Jason Becker as guitarists alot and have used bits and pieces of his music for practice but i don't think i could listen to a whole album of him. The endless raking and the whole speed thing just bores me to death after a while. But I can really feel the passion in vai's music and thats why i like his style and music. I guess it all comes down to how and if you can connect with the music, obviously you have found something in Jason Beckers music that you can relate to the same as I have found something in Vai's music.

if6was9

#4 Post by if6was9 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:34 am

Well, you're not the first person that prefers Racer X, Cacophony, etc. over Steve's music ... Many 'shredders' don't seem to get his music, but well, i guess one day they will get tired of that linear type of playing and they will aprecciate more complex players.

DiMarzio

#5 Post by DiMarzio » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:05 am

Well.. its all about musical taste..

sonny sixshooter

#6 Post by sonny sixshooter » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:17 am

To each his own i guess. I just can't help wondering: how come you have spend so much time around here? Most topics are Vai related in some way.

acoates

#7 Post by acoates » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:24 am

I listened to speed metal symphony recently and apart from a few bits in the middle, I thought it was the most out of tune messy piece of self indulgent crap I'd ever heard. It bored me to tears, as does most of Jason Becker, I think its BORING! I don't like his music at all...thats right at all! Except Air. And maybe the pagannini stuff, that shit rules. Still a nice guy though. Don't hate me though guys ;)

Arkka

#8 Post by Arkka » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:24 am

if6was9 wrote:Well, you're not the first person that prefers Racer X, Cacophony, etc. over Steve's music ... Many 'shredders' don't seem to get his music, but well, i guess one day they will get tired of that linear type of playing and they will aprecciate more complex players.
Yeah, maybe one day we'll all be cured. I like Cacophony and Friedman is like god to me. I assume Vai likes Friedman's 'linear type of playing' since "Music For Speeding" was released on Favored Nations. But maybe Steve grows out of it one day and begin to appreciate more complex players.

salamancafiesta

#9 Post by salamancafiesta » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:36 am

we don´t like the same type of barbecue sauce or the same type of pasta, still Steve Vai, Jason Becker or Marty Friedman are among the best cooks out there.

It´s an analogy. 8)

Big Bad Bill

#10 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:47 am

I wonder if what you like is the 'bluesiness' of the other players you mention? Steve avoids those sort of harmonies/melodies and personally I find that really fresh.

Gulliver

#11 Post by Gulliver » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:02 am

Grow up a bit and see what you'd think after 5-10 years. Cacaphony is metal for kids.

PureVa|

#12 Post by PureVa| » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:06 am

metal makes my ears bleed

Christophar

#13 Post by Christophar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:38 am

Well some people like to hear a well written song with complex guitar playing and some people would rather just ditch the song part and just listen to a guy playing as fast as he can. Its all about taste and tastes tend to evolve.

Arkka

#14 Post by Arkka » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:31 am

Gulliver wrote:Cacaphony is metal for kids.
If this is the case, I hope I'll never grow up.

Please don't bash my idols without decent arguments.
Last edited by Arkka on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

xxxYNGWIExxx

#15 Post by xxxYNGWIExxx » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:00 am

you know i love steve vai as a guitarist and thats why i hang out at these fourms. but when i listen to his music like the attitude song or the Audience Is Listening that seems childish to me not cacophony. And after listeining to the entire fire gardan album then listening to songs of jason becker and marty freidman i cant listen to vai anymore. I guess its the way marty freidman follws the chords like in his instructional. I remember watching that and him just improvising over the chords was very cool i could listen to him do that all day.