Writing Lyrics

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Guitarmiester

Writing Lyrics

#1 Post by Guitarmiester » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:53 am

I've had no luck finding a singer, so I'm taking both lead guitar and singer into my own hands until I come across a singer. My problem is not with guitar at all, but is with coming up with lyrics...I never know where to start or if I do I sometimes have trouble going on with it. Any advice that could help me out with writing lyrics? I like the whole idea of concept albums (that's what I'd like to do for the 1st CD I've been working on.) Many of you probably know how hard it is to find a singer that can sing melodically and know how to really use harmonies (and not overuse them!) I'm very into prog. stuff, Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Evergrey, Kamelot, Kaipa... Any help is appreciated.

guyver_dio

#2 Post by guyver_dio » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:57 pm

my suggestion is to go and do something new everyday, see some different things and get some different experiences. This will help you alot with song writing.

Something I found pretty useful is record the music, then play it back to yourself over and over again, hum a melody to the song and once you seem pretty relaxed and feel the song start singing, don't think about it to much, just sing, alot of what you'll say will just be jibberish and won't make any sence, but any words you say while doing this you think can be used, write them down and keep doing this until you have a pretty good bank of words.

I find because of the feeling of the song that most of the words can be tied together in a story, then use this bank of words to help write your lyrics.

Shy Boy

#3 Post by Shy Boy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Vocals SUCK!

al

#4 Post by al » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:17 pm

yea humming the melody can help.. and recording it can help too over and over.. u jsut pick what u liek form the best takes.. THEN u fit the words... well uless u have an idea or what not... but brainstorm.. what the song reminds u off. what u want it to mean and how u feel, then write them down and branh out tihngs off of each idea or word... then fit them into the melody

or just do what every pop song does and sing about love and breaking up

Gastric Sumo

#5 Post by Gastric Sumo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:47 pm

I have to agree with both of the above statements. It seem to me that MY lyrics, though few, come when I have the headphones on and I'm listening to the song repetedly. Sometimes you have to give it a rest and come back another day. After work is a good time to throw on the phones and a mic and see what melodies pop out. Of course you don't need lyrics if your......

Kenny G!!

I just had to. Michael bolton alway makes me think of Kenny G for some reason. Maybe they should get together and make a collaborative album. Hey, the girls might like it. NOT! OK, I'm officially off topic now.

Gastric Sumo

#6 Post by Gastric Sumo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:08 pm

ImageImage

Aaahhh.. Ok I'm finished now.

Shy Boy

#7 Post by Shy Boy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:16 pm

Big Bad Bill

#8 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:57 am

Get yourself 'The Penguin Rhyming Dictionary'-it can be very helpful for finding those elusive words-and for writing naughty limericks in birthday cards!

Guitarmiester

#9 Post by Guitarmiester » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:46 am

Thanks for the help...I've actually stumbled into doing what you said before I even read it, I've been playing a song or two over and over until I can get enough random words to work into what I want it to. Most of the songs I have music for I have an idea of what I want the song to be about, so it makes it alittle easier. I don't like listening to or coming up with lyrics about what too many people do, love and all that stuff, gets to be old and boring to keep hearing. For the CD I'm working on now, I'm thinking of having the lyrics for each song as a different kind of feeling (I'm not talking about the kind everyone sings/talks about, sad, happy...) and maybe the whole CD tell a story or something. One song I've been really working on, it's called Confused (name may change a little once the lyrics are done, but the guitar parts fit perfectly into the idea of being confused...kinda hard to explain, but you'll hear what I mean once I record it. Thanks for the help.

---Shy Boy --- You had to post that pic up, I was scrolling down and saw the name and just wanted to 'X' the page out before going any further! You don't have to worry though, I'm not looking for anything ANYWHERE NEAR what he's done. I hope you didn't take that much time out finding that picture...

Gastric Sumo

#10 Post by Gastric Sumo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:54 pm

Ha great! now I want to watch Wayne's World now. :lol:

Shy Boy

#11 Post by Shy Boy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:12 am

That's from Wayne's World 2 though.

altruistik

#12 Post by altruistik » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:39 am

from Anna Nalick:

2 AM and I'm still awake, writing a song
If I get it all down on paper, it's no longer inside of me,
Threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them, however you want to
. . . . Sing it if you understand.
and breathe, just breathe

guitar_love

#13 Post by guitar_love » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:54 am

let me tell you, even though im not to into thier music cradle of filth- what amazing lyrics.

danni filith even won litrature awards for his lyrics.

listen or read his lyrics, great inspiration.

Guitarmiester

#14 Post by Guitarmiester » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 am

guitar_love - A lot of the Prog. metal and rock bands have amazing lyrics along with amazing musicians. A lot of the prog. rock and metal bands I listen to, their lyrics are actually meaningful and/or tell a story, rather than a group of old guys just pretty much are crying...not literally crying, but you should get the point, the same old lyrics you hear from the next band, girlfriends, depression...all that kind of crap. It gets old after a while. Just look at what's been popular (on the radio and tv) in the past few years, where's the variety and creativity? let alone where is their talent!?

guitar_love

#15 Post by guitar_love » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:44 am

Guitarmiester wrote:guitar_love - A lot of the Prog. metal and rock bands have amazing lyrics along with amazing musicians. A lot of the prog. rock and metal bands I listen to, their lyrics are actually meaningful and/or tell a story, rather than a group of old guys just pretty much are crying...not literally crying, but you should get the point, the same old lyrics you hear from the next band, girlfriends, depression...all that kind of crap. It gets old after a while. Just look at what's been popular (on the radio and tv) in the past few years, where's the variety and creativity? let alone where is their talent!?
good point, but i you have to admit it, weve all writin a song about loved one, or a lost one, about our girlfriends and are hormones lol.

I see what your sayin about the prog rock, thats why i love it. Danni filths lyrics tho, they really go into serios depth about stuff. brilliant stuff, its like all of the albums tell a very vived story.