Bashing, technique, emotion...

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
johny

Bashing, technique, emotion...

#1 Post by johny » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:34 pm

I started this thread, cause I see there is a lot of bashing of technically superior guitarists going on here.
I find it a bit strange that a lot of Vai-fans (Vai who is technically amazing) can go on bashing other technically
amazing guitarists, especially when you all know what other people says about Steve Vai.

For example, a lot of people who aren't into Vai, says he is a technical wizard who plays with no emotion,
but of course we all here know better, right? ;) They dont like his music, so when they hear it they dont feel
anything except maybe "please, turn it off" . A lot of people (even some Vai-fans), say the same thing about
Michael Angelo Batio, but I like his music a lot, and I'd say he definately plays with emotion. Just becuase he
is techically great, doesnt mean he plays without emotion (same thing goes for Vai). Take Eric Clapton... I dont
really like blues that much, and Im not a fan of Erics music... I really dont feel anything when I listen to it... but
does that mean that he plays without emotion? Of course not. I respect his playing, and I know he plays with emotion.
I dont feel it, because I dont like that kind of music, but I would never bash him, just because I dont feel what he feels.

So, Rusty Cooley, MAB, John Petrucci, Greg Howe, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton etc etc etc....
I'd say they all play with lots of feeling, only some are more technical than others... and just because we dont like
someones music, doesn't mean they play without emotion. The bashing should stop.

And really, who are we to judge what other people feel when they play their instruments?

Any thoughts?

OU812Manny

#2 Post by OU812Manny » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:44 pm

Amen. I am a huge fan of Petrucci, Yngwie, Gilbert, MAB and of course Mr. Vai. There were recent posts about MAB's double neck that I could'n t believe. MAB's double is amazing. I have seen him do it live several times. He plays a great tune with feel and in ways no one else can. The left handed part of the solo alone is so cool. I tried to count the out the time siganture in that part. I think its 7/4. It rules. Steve Vai's own Heart Guitar is modeled about MAB's double and still people here slam him, Yngwie and others that are the very best of the best. That's cool that you posted this. I thought I was the only on the forum that liked great guitarists other than Steve Vai.

shreddlolrd

Re: Bashing, technique, emotion...

#3 Post by shreddlolrd » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:04 pm

johny wrote:I started this thread, cause I see there is a lot of bashing of technically superior guitarists going on here.
I find it a bit strange that a lot of Vai-fans (Vai who is technically amazing) can go on bashing other technically
amazing guitarists, especially when you all know what other people says about Steve Vai.

For example, a lot of people who aren't into Vai, says he is a technical wizard who plays with no emotion,
but of course we all here know better, right? ;) They dont like his music, so when they hear it they dont feel
anything except maybe "please, turn it off" . A lot of people (even some Vai-fans), say the same thing about
Michael Angelo Batio, but I like his music a lot, and I'd say he definately plays with emotion. Just becuase he
is techically great, doesnt mean he plays without emotion (same thing goes for Vai). Take Eric Clapton... I dont
really like blues that much, and Im not a fan of Erics music... I really dont feel anything when I listen to it... but
does that mean that he plays without emotion? Of course not. I respect his playing, and I know he plays with emotion.
I dont feel it, because I dont like that kind of music, but I would never bash him, just because I dont feel what he feels.

So, Rusty Cooley, MAB, John Petrucci, Greg Howe, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton etc etc etc....
I'd say they all play with lots of feeling, only some are more technical than others... and just because we dont like
someones music, doesn't mean they play without emotion. The bashing should stop.

And really, who are we to judge what other people feel when they play their instruments?

Any thoughts?
OH, THE FIRST NORMAL PERSON HERE!

Gulliver

#4 Post by Gulliver » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Michael Angelo Batio? Yngwie Malmsteen?

IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF THEIR "TECHNIQUE WITHOUT SOUL" they got "bashed"! It's because of their POOR CHOICE OF SCALES AND NOTES! ... And overall because of their TOO one-dimensional "neo-classical" approach to composing, so to speak.

At least that's why I "bash" them from time to time. :lol:
Last edited by Gulliver on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jemgirl

#5 Post by jemgirl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:20 pm

there`s absolutly no need to bash guitar-players you dont like.
every guitarist play`s the way he does.
patricia

Tomsangel

#6 Post by Tomsangel » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:29 pm

I 100% agree with Pat. It just doesn't make sense to bash other musicians here on this forum. Maybe some people think it's a kind of showing loyalty to Steve (like saying: You're the best, I only like you, the others are shite)... but it's not. It's respectless. And besides it's a questions of taste. Of course you don't have to like everybody or anyone's music but there is a difference between saying "I don't like George Lynch or Eric Clapton" or saying "Lynch is an idiot and Clapton can simply not play".
So respect is what it's all about.

Angel

Ant711UK

#7 Post by Ant711UK » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:29 pm

I think the bashing comes as people retialate to being told they're missing something because they don't listen to certain players. I don't think I'm missing anything just because I don't listen other peoples choice of players. I'll have a listen, but if I don't hear anything that interests me I don't listen to it again. I'm not continually searching for something else to 'get into' either. I love Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Lukather (I've even met them all) and some others. Their music makes me feel happy and that's what I'm looking for when I by the CD's.

I've seen some great players live and I walk away thinking wow how do they do that, but I don't feel compelled to go out and buy the CD's just because it's technically difficult. The guy standing next to me at the show may love it and it may be his thing 100% so I think good for him and I can fully understand what he gets out of it.

Some people need to get out of the '80's guitar' competition-like mentality
and enjoy what they like without having to bash everybody else. I've been guilty of it in the past and gone into a big rant about Player vs player but afterwards I just thought, why am I getting worked up about someone telling me what I should and shouldn't be listening to, leave 'em to get on with it.

Tony

acoates

#8 Post by acoates » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:07 pm

Tip to the internet number 1) Loads of people are contentious assholes whos sole thing to do in life is describe why they are hot and someone else is not.

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

#9 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:01 pm

All I gotta say is that I appreciate & listen to all kinds of guitarists, from classical to metal & in between, & you gotta really suck for me not to like you. :mrgreen:

Gastric Sumo

#10 Post by Gastric Sumo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Eddie Vs. Angus. Who would win? That's the kind of question that I get so sick of hearing. (If you respond to this question, you will be thumped and thwarted) It's all music for cryin' out loud. Come to think of it, I think Steve Vai is partly responsable for that A vs B competetion mentality. Not that it's any fault of his. It may have been the movie "Crossroads" that started a lot of it. Although jazz musicians have been "cuttin' heads" for a long time.

Gastric Sumo

#11 Post by Gastric Sumo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Ahh, forget what I said about Steve Vai. I'm full of shit. It's testosterone filled 15 year olds who are concerned about that sort of stuff.

guyver_dio

#12 Post by guyver_dio » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:19 pm

And yet another thread to discuss this topic. We should just call this whole forum Do technically great guitarists play without emotion?, we shall call it DTGGPWE for short. I just can't stand topics like these where they just point out the obvious, it's like it's a fucking hot day and someone comes up to ya and says 'fucking hot today isnt it'.

Ppl have different thoughts and feelings. Especially when you have members from all around the world, you gotta expect that this will happen.

My advice is use the forum, take what you want out of it and just ignore things that in your opinion is bullshit. My advice is to also get over it

salamancafiesta

#13 Post by salamancafiesta » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:39 am

Gastric Sumo wrote:Ahh, forget what I said about Steve Vai. I'm full of shit. It's testosterone filled 15 year olds who are concerned about that sort of stuff.
better to be concerned about that stuff than do as most spanish 15 year olds concerned about drugs, tuning cars and picking fights 8)

Moderator7VWH

#14 Post by Moderator7VWH » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:16 am

guyver_dio wrote:And yet another thread to discuss this topic.
Agreed. Please continue in any of the other existing threads on this topic - if you must.

Moderator7VWH