For SERIOUS instrumental guitar buffs only!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Shy Boy

That’s instrumental, ‘k?

Alright, so if you’re a die hard instrumental guitar listener, please post your favorite guitarists (try to keep it under ten) and the CD or DVD of theirs that you recommend to others most of all. Obviously you needn’t mention Steve Vai, and probably not Joe Satriani either.

After you’ve finished your list, please specify which recording you’d like others to hear most of all. If we can I’d like to get a “you get this and I’ll get that” thing going on here. Remember, it’s all about sharing the good stuff!

Ok, my list:

Mattias IA Ekundh – “Freak Guitar” CD

Shawn Lane – “Temporal Analogues of Paradise” live CD

David Martone – “Martone” DVD

Patrik Carlsson – “Phraseology” CD

Django Reinhardt – “Quintet of the Hot Club of Paris” CD

Milan Polak - “Dreamscapes” CD

Jose De Castro – “Music Guitar Box” CD

Vinnie Moore – “Out of Nowhere” CD

Jason Becker tribute – “Warmth in the Wilderness Vol. 1” CD

MOST OF ALL: The Martone DVD. Get yours HERE.
nienturi

Tony Macalpine - Premonition, Chromacity, Evolution, Freedom to Fly
Greg Howe - Extraction
Racer X/Paul Gilbert - Technical Difficulties
Steve Morse - eveerything :)
John Petrucci - LTE's, DT's and solo album
Buckethead - giant robot
Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back
M.IA Eklund- Freak Kitchen stuff
Allan Holdsworth - Secrets, hard hat area, sixteen men of thain and U.K. stuff
Cosmosquad - various albums
R.Kotzen - Electric Joy
Shy Boy

I have Chromacity and Edge of Insanity, Freak Kitchen's "Move" and the Freak Guitar albums, I've heard Technical Difficulties, I have Extraction, I have Petrucci's Suspended Animation debut solo album, I have Giant Robot, and I really want Electric Joy, because I've loved my first two Kotzen albums, "Change" and "Slow."

So I'll get Electric Joy and post a review of it if you'll get the Martone DVD. ;)
nienturi

Shy Boy wrote: I've heard Technical Difficulties
You should give a try. Especially notice for the tracks "Tech.Dif." and " Gilberto Concerto".

How about Blues Saraceno's Never Look Back? Do you have it?
Shy Boy

Nah, I don't have it, and I haven't heard it.

I have heard Gilberto Concerto, however, which I loved. Sadly, I'm not much for singing, and therefore, not much for Gilbert normally. I did find out that a used CD shop nearby is selling Tech Diff's on CD for like $13, and they have a promo vinal copy of Surfing with an Alien with a promotional insert and guitar pic, so I'm singing by to get that, too.
nienturi

How about Chris Poland. He has a nice approach to fusion,too. Especially with his project called OHM
Shy Boy

He co-wrote my favorite track on the Jason Becker tribute album, "Warmth in the Wilderness," but I still need to get a CD of his.
nienturi

I can suggest his late works into more fusion. But more of his OHM project.

How about Steev Morse? Do you like him?
Shy Boy

He's actually one guys that I've somehow completely missed listening to. I have no idea what to expect, but I’ll check out some soundclips later today.
MR4Y

ok here go:

Kiko Loureiro- No Gravity

Edu Ardanuy/ Dr. Sin- Dr Sin II

Bumblefoot - Uncool

Buckethead- Giant Robot

Uli Jon Roth- Metamorphosys
nienturi

Shy Boy wrote:He's actually one guys that I've somehow completely missed listening to. I have no idea what to expect, but I’ll check out some soundclips later today.
He is completely not for missing with very matured musical approach and very great guitar playing. As a note:Steve Vai was transcribing his songs (at dixie dregs) for Guitar Player mag. He is really nice guy with his cute smile :)
And hey, we have one more guy :)
MR4Y wrote: Buckethead- Giant Robot
MR4Y, Bucketheads giant robot is ultimately great stuff for me, but not everyone, i think. Very cool. I know Uli. I mean his bio etc.But still i couldnt listen him. Is this a album that you can advice me?
Shy Boy

I just got Giant Robot this weekend, and I'm loving it. I listened to it about eight times already while on the way home, and then for all the hours when I was doing the lawn. It's odd that it took me so long to pick this one up, because I already had six other Buckethead CD's.

I'll check out that Steve what'shisname after I get back from my jog.
MR4Y

nienturi wrote:
Shy Boy wrote:He's actually one guys that I've somehow completely missed listening to. I have no idea what to expect, but I’ll check out some soundclips later today.
He is completely not for missing with very matured musical approach and very great guitar playing. As a note:Steve Vai was transcribing his songs (at dixie dregs) for Guitar Player mag. He is really nice guy with his cute smile :)
And hey, we have one more guy :)
MR4Y wrote: Buckethead- Giant Robot
MR4Y, Bucketheads giant robot is ultimately great stuff for me, but not everyone, i think. Very cool. I know Uli. I mean his bio etc.But still i couldnt listen him. Is this a album that you can advice me?
the Metamorphosys CD is a Double pack that Uli plays with his Sky Orchestra. he play "The Four Seasons" entire, and then comes his own songs. A thing that mades me mad is the difficult of find his Cds on stores.
nienturi

MR4Y wrote: the Metamorphosys CD is a Double pack that Uli plays with his Sky Orchestra. he play "The Four Seasons" entire, and then comes his own songs. A thing that mades me mad is the difficult of find his Cds on stores.
Difficult? Its impossible to find his albums here in my city. Moreover i buy my CDs at second hand generally. Thats another reason not to find his albums, either.
But my wonder got increased ;)
Thanks...
Melodic Dreamer

Brett Garsed - Rock Guitar Improvisation, Dvd
Greg Howe - Extraction, Cd
Allan Holdsworth - Secrets, Cd
Shawn Lane - Powers Of Ten, Cd
Eric Johnson - Austin TX, Dvd
Carl Verheyen - his new Dvd
Frank Gambale - Concert With Class, Dvd
Robben Ford - New Morning, Dvd
Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather band, Dvd