Yngwie Orchestra

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
The Wolf

Yngwie Orchestra

#1 Post by The Wolf » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:49 pm

You guys are all talking about how Yngwie is playing only 80s metal, and I agreed with you until I saw this...
http://yngwie.org/News.htm
Have you guys heard this?

knarfzednem

#2 Post by knarfzednem » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:07 am

yeah i have the cd.it kinda' got boring(no offense to anyone)but i'll get the dvd anyways.watching yngwie play is always fun.

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:42 am

I picked it up in Singapore about 3 years ago. I wasn't particularly fussed about it. Yngwie showing off in front of an orchestra. His tone just doesn't fit with the accompaniment.

Worth checking out if you want to see him doing something a little bit different though.

Anyone seen the footage from Guitarist Mag where he's busking in Denmark St in London earlier this year? - very cool

H

PaulEMoz

#4 Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:49 pm

Heard the demo in '96, bought the original in '98, bought the CD and DVD in 2001.

It's hardly him "showing off", it's the culmination of a dream for Yngwie. He'd always wanted to write for and perform with an orchestra, and he pulled it off. I love it, personally. Still, non-fans may not, of course, as is the way. I would say it's worth anyone's time to at least see once.

Melodic Dreamer

#5 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:22 am

Most of it is just pieces from a lot of his songs mixed together. I'm not a Yngwie basher at all, but this cd is really pitiful in my opinion.

PaulEMoz

#6 Post by PaulEMoz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Melodic Dreamer wrote:Most of it is just pieces from a lot of his songs mixed together.
Most of it isn't. There are maybe four tracks that contain small elements from a few of his other songs. If you're talking about the live version then yes, a few of his actual tracks have been arranged for the orchestra as well. The vast, vast majority of it is not found on any of his other albums.

Elyseum
Newcomer

#7 Post by Elyseum » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:53 am

on his newspage:

"This was a huge, huge undertaking. I composed this concerto from the ground up. It took about two years total to compose, but there were interruptions when I was touring and making rock albums," Malmsteen says. "The guidelines it was composed within were very orthodox. I drew heavily from my classical influences such as Johann Sebastian Bach, his son Carl Philip Emanuel Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Antonio Vivaldi, Nicolo Paganini, George Handel and Peter Tchaikovsky. The classical world is a completely different planet from the rock world. But I was welcomed with open arms by the orchestra musicians. I walked into their world, they didn't walk into mine. Once I worked with them they were very impressed and I gained their acceptance."

Melodic Dreamer

#8 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:03 am

PaulEMoz wrote:
Melodic Dreamer wrote:Most of it is just pieces from a lot of his songs mixed together.
Most of it isn't. There are maybe four tracks that contain small elements from a few of his other songs. If you're talking about the live version then yes, a few of his actual tracks have been arranged for the orchestra as well. The vast, vast majority of it is not found on any of his other albums.
I should have explained myself better. I know there excerpts from actual Yngwie songs, but I was just saying that most of his licks, arp ideas and rythmic functions are just the same old stuff rehashed with an orchestra.

PaulEMoz

#9 Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:16 am

If you say so.

It sounds great, as far as I'm concerned.

ChickenScratch

#10 Post by ChickenScratch » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:34 pm

I can't wait for the DVD, I loved the CD and this I have no doubt I'll love.

nienturi

#11 Post by nienturi » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:03 pm

In my opinion, Yngwie and the orc. is similar to typical classical virtuoso movements. But in classical form its orchestra plus a virtuoso, in Yngwies stuff its Yngwie plus an orchestra :)

Anyway it is very cool thing for an approach like this. But the consequence is not satisfactory in the point of polyphony. Polyphony on "Lotus Feet"(im not comparing) of Vai's, it can be seen clearly. It can be summerized. If you get the guitar parts out, yeah, there are still something left. But if you do this to Yngwies stuff, what is left behind? Just accompanyment stuff scored by an orchestra.

PaulEMoz

#12 Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:12 pm

This DVD is released in the US on November 1st, by the way, in case anyone that doesn't already have it is interested.

GuitarStrings

#13 Post by GuitarStrings » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:47 pm

I LOVE classical music and grew up listening to a LOT of classical music(my father worked at Conservatory), and I LOVE this CD and this DVD.
You have to be into classical music to appreciate it.