Steve Vai vs Allan Holdsworth

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

Whose technique do you consider superior?

Steve Vai's, dude!
17%
Steve Vai's, dude!
17%
Steve Vai's, dude!
17%
Steve Vai's, dude!
17%
Allan Holdsworth's, mate!
8%
8%
8%
8%

Total votes: 100

lydian7

#16 Post by lydian7 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:04 pm

treeduck wrote:
My favourite Satriani solo and song is Rubina and Not of this Earth and Surfin are still my fave albums I doubt he'll top these either...

I always had a problem with the production on The Extremist...
Well, i agree that the production of The Extremist is slightly 'over-polished' shall we say, but good studio production and good guitar playing don't neccessarily go hand in hand. Just look at Jimi Hendrix's catologue, possibly some of the worst studio production I've heard! But that doesn't detract from the excellence of his guitar performance.

As for Satch, I really like the Rubina solo, and I know it's a firm fan favourite, but surely Not of this Earth's production is Satriani's worst quality studio sound so far? (not counting his debuting E.P of course) No, it's still definately the Rubina's blue sky Happiness solo for me. I just wish he'd play more legato orientated lines nowadays, and just cut down on the blues a tad. ;)

lydian7

#17 Post by lydian7 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:05 pm

mi2tom wrote:To tell you the truth this is got to be one of the lousiest poll ever :evil:
To tell you the truth, you seem like an extremely negative person.

mi2tom

#18 Post by mi2tom » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:51 pm

lydian7 wrote:
mi2tom wrote:To tell you the truth this is got to be one of the lousiest poll ever :evil:
Negative to your eyes maybe .... I've like voting in polls but between Steve and holdsworth hmmm if you put malmsteen and steve it's still acceptable or maybe satriani or maybe gilbert... No hard feelings though you and me are totally different person

lydian7

#19 Post by lydian7 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:17 am

mi2tom wrote:
lydian7 wrote:
Negative to your eyes maybe .... I've like voting in polls but between Steve and holdsworth hmmm if you put malmsteen and steve it's still acceptable or maybe satriani or maybe gilbert... No hard feelings though you and me are totally different person
Ok, no hard feelings. Chill out a bit though mate. :)

Melodic Dreamer

#20 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:11 am

I have always liked the production of the Extremist myself. My two favorite solos by Satch come from that album. Rubina's blue sky Happiness solo and Why. Well, actually Why is my 3rd, The ending section from the song Time is my second. 8)

Oooh ooooh, and Flying In A Blue Dream & Strange as well. lol

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

#21 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:35 am

Well, if "technique" interprets into compositions & "style," which I'm sure it does with these two guys, I'll take Steve over Allan. I really llike Allan a lot, & this is a tough one. I've seen Steve do some amazing things on guitar "technique-wise," & to me, his technique is amazing, & Allan's also a master technician, but generally speaking I think Vai's technique interprets more towards the accessibility factor musically, when considering the average listener. I'd say that's probably true of how I perceive it myself too. I prefer some of the more wild "out there" sounds that Steve gets compared to Allan, but that's just me.

Plus, Steve uses his technique as a visual enhancement of his style & songs, which adds another complete dimension to his live shows compared to Allan's. Steve is a showman, Allan's not. :wink: They're both awesome, but that's about how I look at it when comparing these total opposites.

resha

#22 Post by resha » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:20 pm

Hy guys... I was at the Evo Premium Experience at the gig in Milan (25sept) and I think this thing from Steve's mouth will help us!
We ended up talking about all kinds of music form classical to jazz... and Steve told us that actually the only music that He cannot understand (this was His own words) is Mr. Holdsworth's one! INCREDIBLE!
He said that He can understand even classical pieces (He meant that when He listens to it He can always recognize what's going on!) but not Holdsworth's music! This was so great for Steve to admit that... He's such a wonderful and humble person... 8)

mi2tom

#23 Post by mi2tom » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:30 pm

lydian7 wrote:
Ok, no hard feelings. Chill out a bit though mate. :)
None taken Lydian7 :mrgreen:

j1mi_h3ndrix

#24 Post by j1mi_h3ndrix » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:09 pm

ive never really heard allan holdsworth but ive heard of him..

lydian7

#25 Post by lydian7 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:28 am

Melodic Dreamer wrote:I have always liked the production of the Extremist myself. My two favorite solos by Satch come from that album. Rubina's blue sky Happiness solo and Why. Well, actually Why is my 3rd, The ending section from the song Time is my second. 8)

I love the ending to Time, that's also one of my Satch favourites! Flying in a Blue Dream's great also. I can see we're going to have to dedicate a thread to this. ;)

Bifrons777
Newcomer

Re: Steve Vai vs Allan Holdsworth

#26 Post by Bifrons777 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Everyone put the metaphysical penile objects away. :lol:

Mark Warburton
Newcomer

Re:

#27 Post by Mark Warburton » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 am

lydian7 wrote:
Melodic Dreamer wrote:I have always liked the production of the Extremist myself. My two favorite solos by Satch come from that album. Rubina's blue sky Happiness solo and Why. Well, actually Why is my 3rd, The ending section from the song Time is my second. 8)

I love the ending to Time, that's also one of my Satch favourites! Flying in a Blue Dream's great also. I can see we're going to have singapore.grand.prix.com dedicate a thread to this. ;)
Yeah, it's cool!