Whitesnake Drama?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
justcartilage

Hi Guys,

Over the years I've heard little bits and pieces about Steve's time with Whitesnake. Now personally I think Slip of the Tongue was Whitesnakes BEST accomplishment ever mainly because of Steve I think. The guitar in that is just brilliant. I've heard some people whining about him overplaying and slamming the record and that's just crap IMO.

I've also heard that there was some sort of "falling out" between him and the group, but have been unable to find anything on the subject. Does anyone know a bit more about this story? Thanks.
Ricky Garcia

I was wondering about that whole thing for a long time myself... I only read in an interview once that the band was shocked when Steve gave the Tapes back with his tracks on it but couldnt get the info if shocked in a good or bad way... I personally REALLY think the CD is incredible!!! :shock:
mange

I think that record contains some of Steve's best playing!
I simply love it!!! Don't know why it has recieved so much slamming? :? I mean, really nice rock'n'roll songs, Steve's guitar, Coverdale's voice, I don't understand it...
Texter

Coverdale at the time propagated that we hadn't seen the likes of guitarplaying like that since Axis: Bold as Love (or something like that...)
I'm sure someone knows better about this...
bob mac

Steve's playing on that album is just :shock: ........
Tom

Clearly it was a mutually beneficial relationship/arrangement for Whitesnake and Steve, and it left us with what I think is that band's only truly great album. Steve's playing on the record is amazing.
ChickenScratch

Now now, what's all this talk of that album being Whitesnake's only good one? Fact is the album with Steve was great but you might be looking at the band with a "Steve Vai fan bias." Having said that, I really enjoyed all the previous albums with Mick Moody and John Sykes :shock: on guitar.
FinnJ

heres an excerpt from a john sykes interview...
"I mean the record that followed that he even stiffed his guitarist (Vandenberg) to bring in Steve Vai.
Well the thing is if he needs a blues based guitar player - he's not a blues player."
mange

'Slide It In' and '1987' are also very, very fine albums, but 'SOTT' is clearly the best Whitesnake album, Vai or no Vai.
Ekim

FinnJ wrote:heres an excerpt from a john sykes interview...
"I mean the record that followed that he even stiffed his guitarist (Vandenberg) to bring in Steve Vai.
Well the thing is if he needs a blues based guitar player - he's not a blues player."
That's crap. Vandenberg hurt his wrists and couldn't play at the time, if memory serves. So unless the WS camp lied in their press releases at the time, Sykes is just flat out wrong.

I love John Sykes on the self-titled CD, but this sounds like sour grapes. Although I agree Vai's no blues player. He takes the blues and smacks it all upside its head.

Plus, if Vai was intended to screw over and replace Vandenberg, why take Vandenberg out on tour?

I think Vai was over the top for Whitesnake, but I still love SOTT. It was the very first CD I ever bought, too.
badhorsie551

slip of the tongue is on a constant loop for me, i have spent many many days where i just sit around jamming on that album and absorbing what steve vai is playing on it. it is quite incredible.

especially the playing on "now you're gone" "fool for your lovin" "judgement day " "the deeper the love " and the bonus track " sweet lady luck"

what a great record and some great playing!
F#Minor

I have to say I do think Vai's playing (although good) was too much for Whitesnake. I haven't heard a lot of Whitesnake but certainly my favourite songs are with Sykes playing I think Vai's style didn't suit the music as much.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah... Have any of you heard of a band called "Great White" They are very VERY cool. Very Whitesnake with a bit more of a Blues Edge.

Ben
eyebnez

Yeah, I've heard of Great White. Dont care much for them though anymore. It's a shame what happened to them with the Bar fire and all. Did'nt one of their new guitar players Die? :?:
ChickenScratch

eyebnez wrote:Yeah, I've heard of Great White. Dont care much for them though anymore. It's a shame what happened to them with the Bar fire and all. Did'nt one of their new guitar players Die? :?:
Funny thing about the Great White incident is that me and my ex girlfriend were almost there. We were spending some time in Rhode Island (little vacation) and were staying a town over from where it happened. At the last minute we decided to spend the evening in Boston with some friends instead.

Needless to say we woke up to many emails and phone messages from friends and family checking up on us.
F#Minor

I don't really know much about them... what happened?

Just loving the live album "Stage" Right now... Especially House of Broken Love"