Dragonforce

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
cioran

#91 Post by cioran » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:38 pm

Like the wimp I am I caved and bought the album. (Go ahead and cheer - you know who you are 8) )

Very possibly the first power metal album with a Muzak concept.
Simply put, any illusions harboured by their fans that this guitar playing is complex, or even musical, needs to be nipped in the bud.
Herman and friends have managed - I would think it would take some serious effort on their part - to avoid understanding the basic concept of meaningful musical expression entirely.

All music that isn't designed (I won't use the word 'composed') specifically to be entirely unobtrusive - like Muzak, meditation/relaxation sound backgrounds etc - employs the concept of creating and releasing tension. This is why we have things like keys and various subdominants and dominants in said keys.

Dragonforce's music is astounding in its own right for managing to be so musically bland and meaningless that I'd get more of a challenge listening to Britney. That bad.
The twin guitars (Bog, I was almost in tears after only two or maybe three dual leads, and there are dozens) breeze along like the translucent winds they resemble without working in counterpoint or harmonic tension once. At all. This is an astonishing feat in itself, and the ability to employ the same mode of design (again, not 'composition') throughout an entire album is amazing.
(Well, I'm exaggerating, there were a few bars in 'Cry for Eternity', and I did hear an unresolved dominant bassline against a solo guitar line for a couple of seconds in another song - but even so...)

True, the playing is fast and clean, but it seems the whammy bar and Whammy pedal histrionics are a desperate attempt at infusing the sad spectacle with some semblance of life. This, too, fails miserably, as the sheer repetitiousness of it all destroys the desired effect.

An utterly appalling album in its entirety.

Why this rant? Because we are on the site of a real musician, and the happy cries of unbroken voices praising this caricature of a band is not only an insult - it is a dangerous sign that warns of musical illiteracy among a generation exposed to the removal of melody entirely in much of popular music, and it's downgrading to instrumental lines in much of metal. Dragonforce are a logical extension of this malady. Those who greet Dragonforce as the Second Coming or the new criterion for future guitar playing are in dire need of education.

I suggest they listen to - for instance - Steve Vai.

DR5150

#92 Post by DR5150 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:16 pm

shyboy12 wrote:Yep, I love Dragonforce... Great music and great singing, although it can get a bit cheesy at times.
You're 100% right there, they are great, but they can get cheesy. But every once in a while it's still fun to pop in a Dragonforce CD and enjoy the music, although it's better to take Dragonforce in small doses, too much will make you sick.

another virtuoso

#93 Post by another virtuoso » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:32 pm

cioran wrote:I suggest they listen to - for instance - Steve Vai.
I'd say there's a good chance anyone reading this already is :)

i havn't studied them by any means, but i get the same general picture cioran is getting. they do have a couple songs that are entertaining though. Through the Fire and Flames is pretty good, and Body Breakdown is excellent.

its all very very cheesy of course. they know it and have fun with it.

cioran

#94 Post by cioran » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:34 am

another virtuoso wrote:
cioran wrote:I suggest they listen to - for instance - Steve Vai.
I'd say there's a good chance anyone reading this already is :)
Frankly, I kind of figured as much. What I don't get is how people can listen to both - one is music, one is Muzak. They are almost diametrically opposed.

Paitent Monkey

re: the force

#95 Post by Paitent Monkey » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:26 am

the force is a strange thing, - Dragons are even stranger, ....Hmmm, ...one would care to listen to the force.- for a first time listening, - i find them okie-dokie!! :!:

GregN

#96 Post by GregN » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:58 am

slash89 wrote:
eareshel wrote:Sorry if i offend somebody now, but i think Dragonforce is the comichal relief in the world of powermetal...
They make silly, repetive music.. They have guitarists who make crappy "hey, i bet you cant play this!" videos. I can play that, and better. Pick tapping. Silly shit man!
Just thought that you should know that I Bet You Can't Play This is a Guitar World consept. Many cool guitarists come and play their sick licks. I wouldn't call recieving a call from the world leading guitar magazine cheesy..

still an A maj7 5 string sweep (as i remember correctly) and pick tapping isnt hard at all.

Learning both of them took like 10 min.

endor

#97 Post by endor » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:35 pm

zreynoldsp wrote:I'm with Shacks - kinda wish I wasn't... I try to make it a policy to make an effort to like guitar bands...

This one is a bit too 'Bill & Ted' for me... it's all about the hair and the lightspeed widdling...

Whats wrong with bill and Ted? There awesome!!!!!

Alex

Seraphim

#98 Post by Seraphim » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:19 am

I listen Drangonforce in small doses... is more safe for my brain... and alternate with other genres of music, like Dream Theater... well, actually what genre of music is Dream Theater? :? :wink: 8) :lol:

Booligan

#99 Post by Booligan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:12 am

holy fuck, i just found out they are coming over here in february. YAY!

eyebnez

#100 Post by eyebnez » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:28 am

I really Like this band alot. They are a Bit Cheesy at times but who cares. heman Li is awesome on guitar. Thay are phenomenal live as well.

prman

#101 Post by prman » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:35 pm

"Drug`n phorsh" sounds like The Chipmunchs on acid.

The Wolf

#102 Post by The Wolf » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm gonna see them in March, that'll be a blast I expect.

seljer

#103 Post by seljer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:16 am

eyebnez wrote:I really Like this band alot. They are a Bit Cheesy at times but who cares. heman Li is awesome on guitar. Thay are phenomenal live as well.
except for when they're so drunk thats its effecting their playing rather badly (like in the "I bet you can't play this" video)

slash89

#104 Post by slash89 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:31 am

Seraphim wrote:I listen Drangonforce in small doses... is more safe for my brain...
I do the same thing. There are times when I love listening to them :)

Zebula77

#105 Post by Zebula77 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:09 am

I think they're really cool. They put me in a happy mood and I always just shake my head and laugh when I listen to them. It's just so insane, and the solos are really inventive, I think. I mean, I'm the first to say I get easily bored with guitarists who just go brrrrrrrrr - fast as possible all the time, but these guys put lots of weird sounds, rhythmic ideas, whammy bar stuff and some interesting phrasing in their solos to keep them from being total noodle-fests.

True, I can only listen to them occasionally and after I've sat through an album, my ears are really tired. Also, they're not great live, from the little I've seen.

But, fun little band who don't take themselves too seriously I think.