Tony Macalpine

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
ShawShred

Tony Macalpine

#1 Post by ShawShred » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:34 pm

I've been listening to some of his stuff lately..Pretty darn good player, but I find Chromaticity to get a bit repetetive at times.....

IbanezRules

#2 Post by IbanezRules » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:07 pm

Tony MacAlpine is really great...
Listen to his Master of Paradise, he is actually singing on that record.

TornadoOfSouls
Newcomer

#3 Post by TornadoOfSouls » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:00 pm

I've been meaning to check him out, what would you all suggest?

ChickenScratch

#4 Post by ChickenScratch » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:43 pm

Firstly let me state that Tony's my favorite guitar player ever so it's hard for me not to say "get every damn album now!" Having said that I think you should pick up Edge Of Insanity, Maximum Security and Chromaticity for his solo work. If you want to hear him in the context of metal check out Mark Boals' Ring Of Fire or any of the albums by the band Ring Of Rire that came out of the Mark Boals cd (although "The Oracle" has George Bellas instead of Tony).

Also for insane prog you should get everything Planet X has done.

Zappatrazz
Newcomer

#5 Post by Zappatrazz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:43 am

IbanezRules wrote:Tony MacAlpine is really great...
Tony Mac sings? Hehe, my god.

ChickenScratch

#6 Post by ChickenScratch » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:47 pm

Zappatrazz wrote:
IbanezRules wrote:Tony MacAlpine is really great...
Tony Mac sings? Hehe, my god.
Yes he does, and very well too. I was also shocked to hear Vai sing but he does a good job too right! Neither of them is on that amazing ROnnie James Dio level but serviceable performances.

autumnlord

#7 Post by autumnlord » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:52 am

Tony MacAlpine is one of the greatest players ever. His blend of technical ability, compositional ability, and stylistic range is unparalled!

Recommened listening:

Solo Work:
- Edge Of Insanity
- Maximum Security
- Chromaticity

Jazz Fusion:
- Cab
- Cab 4

Progressive:
- Planet X (Moonbabies)

Check it all out you will not be dissapointed!!!

Texter

#8 Post by Texter » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:08 am

Got to see and meet him with donati and bynoe last year. Best evening of the year for me 8)

Gulliver

#9 Post by Gulliver » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:59 am

A couple of weeks ago I bought his "Violent Machine" and I quite like it. The problem is... it's the only CD (not counting two Planet X albums) I have of him. How would you rate "Violent Machine" against his other solo releases? Good, bad? :)

GuitarStrings

#10 Post by GuitarStrings » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:49 am

I don't have a Tony's cd, but I have his live dvd with Ring of Fire, the Astoria dvds, and the G3 dvd. All that I can say is, he is a really great guitar player but I don't like his TONE! It's too cold and very mosquito-like.
Lately I've realized that the pick he uses (Big Stubby 2.0) contributes giving this mosquito sound too.

slapgup

#11 Post by slapgup » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:41 pm

Gulliver wrote:A couple of weeks ago I bought his "Violent Machine" and I quite like it. The problem is... it's the only CD (not counting two Planet X albums) I have of him. How would you rate "Violent Machine" against his other solo releases? Good, bad? :)
I think it rates as perhaps his third or fourth best solo release behind Maximum Security and Edge of Insanity (and maybe Premonition but maybe not) I like Violent Machine alot- in fact just bought it the other day- however it appears there are a few different versions of it- mine has 2 vocal numbers and doesn't have "Space Ritual"

slapgup

#12 Post by slapgup » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:43 pm

slapgup wrote:
Gulliver wrote:A couple of weeks ago I bought his "Violent Machine" and I quite like it. The problem is... it's the only CD (not counting two Planet X albums) I have of him. How would you rate "Violent Machine" against his other solo releases? Good, bad? :)
I think it rates as perhaps his third or fourth best solo release behind Maximum Security and Edge of Insanity (and maybe Premonition but maybe not) I like Violent Machine alot- in fact just bought it the other day- however it appears there are a few different versions of it- mine has 2 vocal numbers and doesn't have "Space Ritual"
well Freedom to Fly is pretty darn good too- but his tone is different- he was using a Peavey guitar then and it's kinda nasally or somethin

Snake

Re: Tony Macalpine

#13 Post by Snake » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:24 pm

ShawShred wrote:I've been listening to some of his stuff lately..Pretty darn good player, but I find Chromaticity to get a bit repetetive at times.....

He is a good player, but not an impressive composer.

Gulliver

#14 Post by Gulliver » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:31 pm

slapgup wrote:
Hm.. Mine does not contain any numbers with vocals. Will check for Space Ritual...
Thanks!

guyzif

#15 Post by guyzif » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:45 am

I think he's very good. The only thing I have got with him in it is the Astoria Dvd and Ring of Fire's Live in Tokyo cd. I will be getting Planet X's Albums soon though.