Least Favorite Guitarist

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
stu_hig

Hmm, guitarists I don't like...

Kurt Cobaine I suppose. I really get annoyed when people ask to me play Smells Like Teen Spirt. They think I'm the best guitarist in the world when I do.:x

I've grown to like Yngwie a little. But a lot of his stuff sounds the same.
Logic

Wow,
There is a lot of opinions here. Some are dead on. Some reek of bias.
I.E. Hendrix, This reminds me of the Oakland Raiders in that it isn't the player-ers that are bad. more the fans. (Not all.) I mean Mr. Hendrix was a good guitar player that was made into some sort of legend-god. I even get turned off by that kinda stuff. Mr. Hendrix himself was a pretty kewl guy who knew what level he played at and didn't even claim to be that good. Certainly not as good as The Rolling Stone magazine and others made him out to be. Zeppelin is another deal. Page too was great but addicted to heroin. In concert he didn't give anyone their moneys worth. He was to high to be standing let alone play. This between what, 1975 to 1979??
I HATE GRUNGE! Once again dead on. I think grunge is insulting to the guitar with no interest in excelling talent wise. All rut guitars like Metallica who never go beyond what they've done. Just collecting a check. St Anger? Sure what they did at first was kewl but if its not growing it's dying.
Me. Yes, indeed. Although I don't think there is a guitarist on the planet that hasn't wanted to throw his ax out the window now and then.
Now. Who is Kurt Cobaine?? I really have never heard of him by name. Who does he play for? I thick that's all. Hmmm.. Oh Mr. Clapton. See Hendrix. :)
ricardo_impellitteri

EVO 555 wrote:i love kurt some of his stuff is crap but he rocks personally i dont like the led zeppelin live stuff it is shit
wow, i think exactly the same

god bless ireland
GuitarStrings

ricardo_impellitteri wrote:
EVO 555 wrote:i love kurt some of his stuff is crap but he rocks personally i dont like the led zeppelin live stuff it is shit
wow, i think exactly the same

god bless ireland
Yeah I agree, I respect Led Zeppelin but I also think much live material from them is unlistenable. So many people are "into" Led only because they are a legendary band.
Gregocide

Kurt Cobain.... Kirk Hammet
ax murderer

i can kind of understand the grunge-bashing, but come on, Pearl Jam's Mike McCreedy has got some cool chops. would you call Faith No More grunge, or Smashing Pumpkins? they had some pretty cool guitar work going on too. it may not be sonically perfect shredding, but it was never meant to be!

as for my least favourite/ most overrated guitarists, i'd say Jack White and Kirk Hammett.
ChRis #1

Any guitar player in the top 10 in the last 10 years FULLSTOP

I also dislike any Punk, Nu Metal Guitarist. I dont even call them Guitarists i call them Steel Pickers.

In saying this i do belive that all those Guitar players who are dissed so often do actually have some talent its just the mainstream cock heads wont let them play it. I mean what sane Guitar player writes a 3 chord Riff.

But trust me the music you hear now will be rebelled by the next Generation of Youth. And maybe we can hope theyll learn to play Guitar.

Thats my say
Instrumentalrockrocks

ChRis #1 wrote:Any guitar player in the top 10 in the last 10 years FULLSTOP

I also dislike any Punk, Nu Metal Guitarist. I dont even call them Guitarists i call them Steel Pickers.

In saying this i do belive that all those Guitar players who are dissed so often do actually have some talent its just the mainstream cock heads wont let them play it. I mean what sane Guitar player writes a 3 chord Riff.

But trust me the music you hear now will be rebelled by the next Generation of Youth. And maybe we can hope theyll learn to play Guitar.

Thats my say
This is one of the best commets I ever saw....

I dislike Punk guitarists and Nu Metal guitarists too!! (well not really dislike.... more like hate :shock: )

Only Dimebag Darrel sort of amazed me... he's just cool!!! :headbang

Shred On :guitar
Real_Confusions

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:
ChRis #1 wrote:Any guitar player in the top 10 in the last 10 years FULLSTOP

Thats my say

This is one of the best commets I ever saw....

I dislike Punk guitarists and Nu Metal guitarists too!! (well not really dislike.... more like hate :shock: )

Only Dimebag Darrel sort of amazed me... he's just cool!!! :headbang

Shred On :guitar
Yeah, it sucks about Dimebag. What about Zakk Wylde? Do you like him?
Last edited by Real_Confusions on Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
petethegreat

I have a few

Kurt Cobain
Wes Borland

the first 2 which come to mind
phoenix2874

ya` know, Wes is actually a great guitar player, and one of the most creative people you`ll ever meet. Kinda like john5. he played with a band many would grow to dislike, hiding his talents.

I`m not really into SRV (I know, a mortal sin to say that and be from texas)

and Brad Gillis, Yngwie, Marty friedman, Vinie Moore...boring. Great players, just boring.

grunge...don`t hate it, but don`t listen to it. Kim Thayhill wrote some bad ass riffs. Faith no more is in no way, shape, or form a grunge band (there is now way Mr. Bungle could have spawned from a grunge band). I can`t stand pearl Jam, though I hear Mike Mcready is decent. Kurt Cobain was a songwriter that played guitar...he`s off the list by default.

Kirk Hammett, but my dissertation on that is in another thread.

Guess that`s it for now.
Hobophobic

I don't mind listening to Yngwie play now and then (though it does get kinda repetitious and boring after a while) but I can't stand to watch him play... at least I couldn't on the G3 video. I wouldn't say "he sucks" because he doesn't, he can play, it's just not really my personal preference in music.
I don't think I have a "least favorite guitarist". My least favorite guitar style(?) is probably the new "punk" stuff. The bands with the mohawks and colored hair that play the 3 chord, no-solo stuff but it's all cleaned and tidied up with no aggression or attitude like the real punk from way back. I don't think many would argue the Sex Pistols where doing anything spectacular guitar-wise... but they still got your attention whether you liked them or not. This new "punk" stuff just sounds like a bunch of whining to 2 or 3 chords. Boring. Of course that's just my personal opinion, people should play what they want to play.
Real_Confusions

My least favorite guitar style(?) is probably the new "punk" stuff. The bands with the mohawks and colored hair that play the 3 chord, no-solo stuff but it's all cleaned and tidied up with no aggression or attitude like the real punk from way back. I don't think many would argue the Sex Pistols where doing anything spectacular guitar-wise... but they still got your attention whether you liked them or not. This new "punk" stuff just sounds like a bunch of whining to 2 or 3 chords. Boring. Of course that's just my personal opinion, people should play what they want to play.
No, you're right. It is boring.
phoenix2874

friggin` great post, friend.

And though we all do it, answering the question in this post is like saying "the guitarist I pass judgement on the hardest is..."

And who are we to even TRY to say that a particular genre of music doesn`t have any good guitar players when the very genre we so passionately embrace is ostricized by every fan of popular music? Are we so elitist to think that all other music is shit because there aren`t any guitar solos? I *love* Godsmack, yet you`ll be hard pressed to find a guitar solo in their music.

Ahh, anyway. Sorry everyone. I just seem to have found myself a soapbox to stand on today.
Hobophobic

I didn't say it was shit, I said I don't like it. Me, personally. :wink: