Dream Theater question

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
spawn2048

autumnlord wrote:Hi All You DT fans,

It seems like Awake (1994) and Images And Words (1992) get the most votes. Does Derek Sherinian play on these albums? If not what is the best Dream Theater album that Derek plays on?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah-he plays on them...also on A Change Of Seasons
Bakerman

spawn2048 wrote:

It seems like Awake (1994) and Images And Words (1992) get the most votes. Does Derek Sherinian play on these albums? If not what is the best Dream Theater album that Derek plays on?

Thanks in advance.
:shock:
Derek only played on A Change of Seasons, Falling Into Infinity, Once In a Livetime (live 2CD), and 5 Years In a Livetime (video). IaW and Awake were Kevin Moore. As well as the other releases from back then- When Dream And Day Unite, Live at the Marquee, Live In Tokyo (video). Moore left after the recording of Awake.
spawn2048

Bakerman wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
:shock:
Derek only played on A Change of Seasons, Falling Into Infinity, Once In a Livetime (live 2CD), and 5 Years In a Livetime (video). IaW and Awake were Kevin Moore. As well as the other releases from back then- When Dream And Day Unite, Live at the Marquee, Live In Tokyo (video). Moore left after the recording of Awake.
oh sorry - im not much of a nut on the keyboardists...it gets too confusing for me...thanks for correcting me
3mip1s4la
Newcomer

Grandor wrote:Six OCLOCK ON A CHRISTMAS MORNING!
SIX OCLOCK ON A CHRISTMAS MORNING!
isn't it "six o'clock on a business morning"?

HANG ON AND GET TRAIN OF THOUGHT!!!!!!!!
spawn2048

3mip1s4la wrote:
Grandor wrote:Six OCLOCK ON A CHRISTMAS MORNING!
SIX OCLOCK ON A CHRISTMAS MORNING!
isn't it "six o'clock on a business morning"?

HANG ON AND GET TRAIN OF THOUGHT!!!!!!!!
nope - sorry
lix

I may be getting out on a limb here,
but doesn't the music of Dream Theater strike you as particularly contrived and pretentious?
spawn2048

lix wrote:I may be getting out on a limb here,
but doesn't the music of Dream Theater strike you as particularly contrived and pretentious?
you might think so, but the guys really are quite humble
guyzif

I,ve been reading these DT threads for a while (i,ve posted as well) and i,ve seen I&W being refered to as classic DT. In my mind 'classic' refers to an album which is simliar in content to the other albums of that period but has a certain 'something' which distinguishes it. to my mind every DT album has been so completely different while at the same time remaining completly DT for I&W to be considered 'classic'. True it is an awsome album and one of my personal favourities it is a classic but not in the context i just described.

I,ve recently got all the DT studio albums accep TOT, (reasons for this are on the "any other DT fans around " thread) and all are awsome.

when i first heard SDOIT I was really dissapointed, it was'nt what I was expecting. (I also think thats why TOT has had such a harsh reception IMO). I found though that the more I listened to it the more it grew on me, it is now one of my favourite DT albums.

Just a question for you all out their, every album JP has a different tone, what is your favourite album tone and why? (just curious) mine is SFAM, I love his tone on that album.

cheers

guyzif
Dark Master
Newcomer

guyzif wrote:Just a question for you all out their, every album JP has a different tone, what is your favourite album tone and why? (just curious) mine is SFAM, I love his tone on that album.
SFAM is my favourite too, but also the tone in SDOIT is very nice, just listen to the Goodnight Kiss solo. :wink:
spawn2048

Dark Master wrote:
guyzif wrote:Just a question for you all out their, every album JP has a different tone, what is your favourite album tone and why? (just curious) mine is SFAM, I love his tone on that album.
SFAM is my favourite too, but also the tone in SDOIT is very nice, just listen to the Goodnight Kiss solo. :wink:
hell yeah, that is awesome....my favourite album for tone has to be Awake, witj When Dream and Day Unite a close second