PURPLE vs. Zeppelin?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Viva La Revolucion

Constantine wrote:Well your Dad certainly knows his stuff, yet man Child still amazes me, that and Highway Star...Ian has an amazing voice dont you think and well Blackus is as diverse as Page, Page had his acoustic tunings and Balckus has..well Blackmore's Night:):)
\

talking of Highway Star and my dad...my old man told me a couple of years ago I would never be able to play the Highway Star solo and said he was going to buy me a nice Line 6 POD if I could play it to him...that was a nice piece of free gear.
EVO 555

i prefer zeppelin
Constantine

Purple have taken a slight lead over the Mighty Zep so far:):) How cool would it be to see them release a new album each but with the original band members...err...Jason Bonham can step in his Dad's shoes for Zep I guess..
Gulliver

I prefer Deep Purple, but only the recent one, with Steve Morse on guitar!!
Guitars Rock!!

I second that motion. I think the guitar solos and leads are better in Deep Purple, and even more so with Morse on guitar.

Seen em live in concert with Morse 2 times. Great stuff!!
Instrumentalrockrocks

Gulliver wrote:I prefer Deep Purple, but only the recent one, with Steve Morse on guitar!!
I'm a very great fan of Steve Morse but....

Have you ever heard the famous MADE IN JAPAN recording with Blackmore on guitar??!?!?

That's such a great recording!!!!

The crowd just goes like YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so cool!!~

Shred On :guitar
Logic

As you all know this isn't apples to apples. Although, I like the Led Zeppelin. I like the journey they take you on when you tune in. It's a different deal than Deep Purple. Technically, one could argue for Purple, as they do cleaner stuff. Mr. Pages' trips into the surreal didn't help him any. One can only imagine what might have happened if he would've stayed clean. Even though I like Zeppelin more, I didn't like their attitude on stage (mainly Mr. Page) that said, (We are Zeppelin! Like it no matter what.) Very sloppy stuff during those days. Fame does strange things to mortals.
Trimb

I've never got into Led Zeppelin to be honest but I can appreciate that they do indeed rock on some songs. I think Robert Plant's voice puts me off mostly... it doesn't reach me. Deep Purple on the other hand - Made In Japan was a great record I agree, and of the few other albums I have, Machine Head and... *thinks* Oh I can't remember now... I haven't got my cds close to hand but it is the one before Machine Head - I like the stuff on those too a lot. Ian Gillan's screaming on M.I.J. is infectious in the same way that Goldie Hawn screaming in the car along the road in Bird On A Wire is. Good crazy fun. I like it.
Real_Confusions

They're both really good, but you have to admit it is hard to listen to a Zeppelin or DP album all the way through (excluding the greatest hits and live albums) without almost falling asleep.

DP sounds better live to me, but I definitely dig Zeppelin's stuff more. Of course, I just love Jimmy Page, even if he does sound like "a two-year-old playing with a broken hand" - EVH.
Instrumentalrockrocks

Logic wrote:I didn't like their attitude on stage (mainly Mr. Page) that said, (We are Zeppelin! Like it no matter what.) Very sloppy stuff during those days. Fame does strange things to mortals.
I never knew he said that.....

That stinks..

Fame certainly does strange things to mortals :)

Shred On :guitar
Logic

I don't think Mr. Page or any of the others accually said that.
More the additude. The "can do no wrong" mind set.
Bono

I've never really been a fan of Deep Purple, though I'm a big Steve Morse fan...Led Zep all the way for me :)
Constantine

Did EVH really refer to Page as a two year-old playing with a broken hand????? What a prick....Did you hear the shit he came up with at Dime's funeral he turned the evnt into a self-worship contest....even Zakk Wylde who respects Eddie so much had a dig at him for that....

Comes to show that as people most big names in music sadly are a bunch of wankers really-that doesnt mean that their music is less great just that sometimes you need not waste time on the person just the music, always the music...

I have a lot of respect for Page, I mean Clapton looked up to Page and so did J. Beck...(according to Hammer of the Gods, which is not necessarily all true...I know
Real_Confusions

Constantine wrote:Did EVH really refer to Page as a two year-old playing with a broken hand????? What a prick....Did you hear the shit he came up with at Dime's funeral he turned the evnt into a self-worship contest....even Zakk Wylde who respects Eddie so much had a dig at him for that....

Comes to show that as people most big names in music sadly are a bunch of wankers really-that doesnt mean that their music is less great just that sometimes you need not waste time on the person just the music, always the music...

I have a lot of respect for Page, I mean Clapton looked up to Page and so did J. Beck...(according to Hammer of the Gods, which is not necessarily all true...I know
Yeah, he really said it. I have it in a guitar magazine somewhere.

No, what did EVH say at Dime's funeral?
Tom Gilroy

Zeppelin.