Most under-rated guitarist...

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Reaper

Matwey wrote:
Reaper wrote:Alex Skolnick's not too highly rated for what he's done.
Now, who's that? :?: The name sounds russian -- guess i need to figure out...
He played for Testament back in the day. He later joined Savatage after Criss Olivia died, and when that didn't go over too well with the Savatage fans, he started doing his own jazz thing. He also plays with Trans-Siberian Orchestra on tour. He's got some sick chops...
Matwey wrote:
Reaper wrote:Stef Burns. He played on Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid, and has some pretty damned good chops. I'd never heard of this dude until I picked up the CD.
..and i thought i saw Satch and Vai were playing guitar on "Hey Stoopid". I even saw 'em in the video ;) AND. Btw, another ones who actually played guitar on that record -- you won't believe -- were Mick Mars and Slash! ;) 8) And that was also Nikki Sixx from Motley on a bass, Vinnie Moore on a guitar, plus Ozzy(dunno -- backing vocals maybe, hehe :P :lol: j/k)
Yes, I've got the disc... I was listening to "Dangerous Tonight", when I heard a couple sick harmonic squeals, and wondered if it was Steve on guitar. I was a tad surprised when I opened it up and saw the name Stef Burns. Anyway, Steve and Satch played on "Feed My Frankenstein". It was Joe and Slash on "Hey Stoopid".

BTW, Ozzy did the backing vocals (the "you know/I know" in the bridge) of "Hey Stoopid"

And Al Pitrelli was listed as a co-writer (though he didn't play) on "Burning our Bed". And if that's not enough on that disc, Alice is (IMO) one of the best songwriters in rock. :twisted:
Matwey

Reaper wrote:
Matwey wrote:
Reaper wrote:Alex Skolnick's not too highly rated for what he's done.
Now, who's that? :?: The name sounds russian -- guess i need to figure out...
He played for Testament back in the day. He later joined Savatage after Criss Olivia died, and when that didn't go over too well with the Savatage fans, he started doing his own jazz thing. He also plays with Trans-Siberian Orchestra on tour. He's got some sick chops...
OK, thanx. Here's the biography http://www.alexskolnick.com/bio_projects.html . Btw, what's behind that Trans-Siberian Orchestra name, why it is called so? :?:

Reaper wrote:Anyway, Steve and Satch played on "Feed My Frankenstein". It was Joe and Slash on "Hey Stoopid".
..but guess that was Joe and Steve in the video then...
Reaper wrote:BTW, Ozzy did the backing vocals (the "you know/I know" in the bridge) of "Hey Stoopid"
heh, i knew it! 8) (at least i guessed it right then ;))
Reaper wrote:And if that's not enough on that disc, Alice is (IMO) one of the best songwriters in rock. :twisted:
yea, Coop rules! 8)
resha

ABSOLUTELY PRINCE...
Listen to his "Cinammon girl" do you ever think he could play like that?!
he's very groovy... GREAT GUITARIST AND REALLY GREAT VOICE... :shock:
Ramma

It would depend on what level of underrated are we talking...

If we are talking about in general.. From Steve Vai to Marty Friedman to Joe Satriani and back are underated..

If we are talking among guitar players, I'd definetly have to say Slash, Jason Becker, and Daron Malakian
Plook

Mick Mars
Prince
John Denver
The guy from "The Cars"
John Frusciante

I thought everyone knew Jason Becker was a monster?
domwint79
Newcomer

I know he's increasingly appreciated amongst guitarists and Metallica fans but James Hetfield doesn't often get the credit he deserves. I know when I first got into Metallica I was all about Kirk but once you get an appreciation of the guitar you start to see that Hetfield is pretty fantastic.

I also think that Hendrix is so synonymous with the guitar that he often gets overlooked. I was reading something on another forum about The Best Guitarist and nobody mentioned Jimi! If someone asked me that question, Hendrix would be the first name out of my mouth.
left face down
Newcomer

Many under-rated guitarist come from bands you wouldn't think of,reason they'er are under-rated.

Mostly the lead guitarist from Bad Religion I know is way under-rated, and I feel the guys from THe Offspring are too.
bradley1107

Mike Mcready...
I just love the way he plays. its not incredibly incredible, but he can tear it up pretty good. hes got that old beat up strat and i think hes just gotten better and better over the years. some people once they make it big never try to get any better. this guy has worked at it. On those extended solo sections of even flow live in concert he kicks some serious ass...
Roy Boy

I think John Myung is a tad underrated...he has unbelieveable speed and endurance on the bass that not many people seem to know about.
Tone Capone

I believe the 2 most underrated guitarist in the World are Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Sure everybody here knows them and loves them. But around the World many people who know who Jimi Hendrix, Kirk Hammitt, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and EVH most people don't have a clue who Joe Satriani and Steve Vai is. If the world knew about them I bet we would be seeing alot of music videos of these guys today. And also if more people knew about them maybe the Guitar Rocker Age would come back.
ROCK KITTEN 76

Another much underrated Guitarist is Gary Moore,
I dont even know if anyone has ever heard of him in the states
admittedly he's having a few problems injuries and i hope that he don't have to give up playing.
Some of his albums truelly Rock,His blues are great

His solo in a track called Out in the fields With Phil Lynott was awesome!
I think the song that most people connect with him too was Parisienne Walkways

oh i could go one for hours about Gary his Blues,Ballads,Rock and Thin Lizzy days

but for those who may not of heard of him

For blues i'd suggest
Best of the Blues some fanrastic colabs with BBking,A,collins
AND one of the tracks called the supernatural!

For rock there's an endless amount of back catologue there
RUN FOR COVER
CORRIDOORS OF POWER
The list is endless

kitzz :wink:
ycnalckcaj

To me it would be Michael Romeo. Everyone knows he is good but doesn't seem to get mentioned much in the "best guitar player" threads.
Also the guy from Nevermore. Don't always like thier songs but his solos are mostly very original and fit the band perfectly
Hik

Lee Ritenour

:)
gogo

a mexican guy his name Julio Revueltas
Ryan Layton
Banned

ty tabor from King's X