Most under-rated guitarist...

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
brian
Newcomer

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum, but a long time Vai fan. Anyway, I'm wondering who you all consider to be very good guitarists but not ones that get mentioned with the likes of Vai, Satch etc.

For example, Mick Mars of Motley Crue. Motley didn't write spectacular guitar songs, but you can take any random track from their first 5 records at least and you'll hear a solo that really fits the song. Some are understated and simple, others are a bit more complex, but almost always they really work for the song.

So, who else?

-Brian
TongueNGroove

Definately C.C. Deville!
5thD

Billy Gibbons
Prince
Andy Summers
The Edge
shader

The Edge?

He said "under-rated" :D
brian
Newcomer

I agree with everyone mentioned. I do think The Edge is generally overlooked as a guitar player. Certainly U2 the band is not overlooked, but I feel like The Edge doesn't get a ton of recognition for his abilities.

I was glad someone mentioned CC too. It seems slamming CC was the cool thing to do amongst guitar players back in the day, and say what you want about CC, he was perfect for that band. Poison was over the top and so was CC's playing, which I always enjoyed given his context. :lol:

As for Prince, I agree, he really is quite good.

Any others?

-Brian
shader

Phil Keaggy
Glenn Kaiser
Adam Jones
brian
Newcomer

Of course! How could we forget Keagy and Kaiser?!?! I saw Glenn last summer...great stuff. Keagy is great too...though I've only recently started listening to him...shame on me.

As for Adam Jones...uh, who's he? :oops:

-Brian
shader

Guitarist for TOOL

He's not that technically great, but he is immensly creative
brian
Newcomer

Ah, yes...those three would be an interesting jam session, no?

-Brian
eyebnez

Mike Keneally

JAY
Last edited by eyebnez on Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VirtuSign

I agree with eyebnez on that Mike Keneally is under-rated but now that also makes Vai under-rated in a way.

So the next question is, under-rated to the general public or to us, or both?

Also, Prince is deffinatly under-rated, also as a musician. Plus these last couple of years he has been doing some serious playing.

Now check out my topic about prince.
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1170
eyebnez

I understand your question. I wonder though whre you say general public or just us, are you reffering to the general public as those who dont play Guitar, or listen to music with theier attention on the guitar player and his phrasing, articulation, etc...? If so, why would they care who was underated? They would proably only be interested in the guitarist that played for their fave' band. In this I see how you also say that Vai is underrated. So I would say I've Confused myself rather well :shock:

Jay
Reaper

Kirk Hammet's often trashed for his work on Load and Reload, but Master of Puppets has one kickass solo! I'd say he's both over and under rated, depending on who you ask.

Alex Skolnick's not too highly rated for what he's done. Having seen him live twice (both with TSO), I'd rank him right next to Steve and JP (for guitarists in a band-type setting, not solo stuff). He frickin owns. And Chris Caffery's pretty underrated as well. He might be a rhythm guitarist, but he can rip it up when he needs to.

Stef Burns. He played on Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid, and has some pretty damned good chops. I'd never heard of this dude until I picked up the CD.
F#Minor

I remember once someone saying that Slash was totally overrated by non guitar players but underrated(if thats a word?) by guitar players...

It does depend on the audience
Matwey

Hey, Motley Crue rule! 8) Now when i've just found this topic -- thanks for reminding Mick Mars name! 8) His solos on Dr.Feelgod are amazing! 8) Also kick-arse rythm-guitar work! :)
Reaper wrote:Kirk Hammet's often trashed for his work on Load and Reload, but Master of Puppets has one kickass solo! I'd say he's both over and under rated, depending on who you ask.
Yep, that was the time. Quite not like St.Anger times -- i think we must conclude that Kirk was off to surfing, while James did all the guitar stuff there :lol:
Reaper wrote:Alex Skolnick's not too highly rated for what he's done.
Now, who's that? :?: The name sounds russian -- guess i need to figure out...

..i've heard "Purple Rain" -- Prince plays guitar really great. Judging from this one i could even say that Lenny Cravitz copying him a bit ;)

And Slash unbelievably RULES!!! 8)
Reaper wrote:Stef Burns. He played on Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid, and has some pretty damned good chops. I'd never heard of this dude until I picked up the CD.
..and i thought i saw Satch and Vai were playing guitar on "Hey Stoopid". I even saw 'em in the video ;) AND. Btw, another ones who actually played guitar on that record -- you won't believe -- were Mick Mars and Slash! ;) 8) And that was also Nikki Sixx from Motley on a bass, Vinnie Moore on a guitar, plus Ozzy(dunno -- backing vocals maybe, hehe :P :lol: j/k)